Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Following expansion, the Amex will be the 21st largest club stadium in England...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
considering that the goldstone was in HOVE how could you exclude the entire population of hove from that calculation :nono:

Maybe he meant Brighton and Hove? I refer to our single municipality, ie The City of Brighton and Hove, as just Brighton these days. The days of 'Hove actually' are long gone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To clarify - I will never see clubs like Stoke, Bolton, Norwich or Fulham as 'big clubs' or even 'middling to big' clubs. It's a personal opinion of course and I appreciate that they are not bonafide Noddy in the vein of Brentford FC or Port Vile.

Fair play. I'm just interested. My take is that noddy implies "not a proper" club but most club are proper. I tend to categorise clubs as "annoying" or "f***ing annoying."

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Maybe he meant Brighton and Hove? I refer to our single municipality, ie The City of Brighton and Hove, as just Brighton these days. The days of 'Hove actually' are long gone.

I'll light the fuse.... When can we drop the Hove bit from our name then?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Woah, woah, let's not go nuts here. Barcelona is one of Europe's biggest cities, with a population of c. 1.61 million people. Brighton is the biggest city in... Sussex, with a population of about 156,000 residents.

So, 1,610,000 / 130,000 = 12.38 residents per seat (Barca)

and: 156000 / 31500 = 4.95 residents per seat (Albion)

Therefore, if anything, we can prove that the Amex is sufficiently size for a catchment area as small as Brighton.

(Not counting glory-hunters / fans from other parts of the country)

Clearly the population of Brighton and Hove is not massive when compared to many places.

However, the population of Sussex is approximately the same as the population of Barcelona (There are around 250,000 more people living is Sussex than when we were promoted to the first division in 1979. In a generation this will increase by a similar number).

60% of our support comes from outside of Brighton and Hove so clearly we attract support from a wide area. This comes from the clubs post code analysis of season ticket holders provided with the recent planning application. Out of 17,500 season ticket holders, only 7,107 live in BN1, BN2, BN3, BN41 and BN42.

Clearly the key to building and maintaining crowds large enough to sustain premier league football is to recognise and build on this support from outside of Brighton and Hove.

D

Deleted User X18H

Not to us locals they aren't. I'm not really worried what you Londoners think.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Clearly the population of Brighton and Hove is not massive when compared to many places.

However, the population of Sussex is approximately the same as the population of Barcelona (There are around 250,000 more people living is Sussex than when we were promoted to the first division in 1979. In a generation this will increase by a similar number).

60% of our support comes from outside of Brighton and Hove so clearly we attract support from a wide area. This comes from the clubs post code analysis of season ticket holders provided with the recent planning application. Out of 17,500 season ticket holders, only 7,107 live in BN1, BN2, BN3, BN41 and BN42.

Clearly the key to building and maintaining crowds large enough to sustain premier league football is to recognise and build on this support from outside of Brighton and Hove.

i'm sure MP said that 60% of ST holders come from WITHIN the BN1, 2 and 3 postcodes?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Where'd you get these stats from? They don't tie up with Martin Perry's. And MP is NEVER wrong. Even when he is.

larus

I'm not sure how Stoke qualify as noddy, [MENTION=525]Cheeky Monkey[/MENTION]. They've got a big history and decent sized support. Norwich are not far behind them, and had 22,000 season ticket holders in division THREE recently. Both sides have won proper trophies.

Palace had a gate of 51,000 once, but gates dipped to 4,000 only one relegation and 5 years later - which obviously is the sign of a true skid-mark noddy outfit. :thumbsup:

Sorry, but I needed to correct your typo....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Brighton Albion doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

Plus if we dropped the Hove, we wouldn't be able to remind everyone that we're by FAR the greatest team the world has ever seen.

Unless we did that shit thing Pompey fans do (on the rare occasions they stray from their incessant "play up Pompey, Pompey play up" drone), and randomly insert the word "City" so it scans.

"And its Brighton City, Brighton City FC are by FAR gthe greatest team the world has ever seen". Naah, total shit.

Hove stays forever.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Plus if we dropped the Hove, we wouldn't be able to remind everyone that we're by FAR the greatest team the world has ever seen.

Unless we did that shit thing Pompey fans do (on the rare occasions they stray from their incessant "play up Pompey, Pompey play up" drone), and randomly insert the word "City" so it scans.

"And its Brighton City, Brighton City FC are by FAR gthe greatest team the world has ever seen". Naah, total shit.

Hove stays forever.

And its Brighton Al-bi-on, Brighton Al-bi-on Fc....

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Where'd you get these stats from? They don't tie up with Martin Perry's. And MP is NEVER wrong. Even when he is.

It comes from one of the documents the club submitted with the stadium expansion planning application. Here is the link, but if it doesn't work and you want to see for yourself then search for planning application BH2011/03861 on the Brighton and Hove Council planning register, then cllick on details, then documents and open the document added on 14 March 2012 entitled "1. postcode information - ta addendum".

http://wam.brighton-hove.gov.uk/PlanningWAM/doc/Supporting%20Document(s)-2147759.pdf?extension=.pdf&id=2147759&location=VOLUME3&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here