Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Flower of Scotland.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This thread happens on NSC every single international tournament.

Go to an England away game when there's 20,000 English in the stadium and the place is decorated in 1000s of flags. Every single person belts out the song, it sounds awesome when you're in it.
Sorry, it's absolutely wank. Means fuk all to anyone who is republican or atheist. National anthems are meant to strike a chord with ALL its citizens, not just the lick spittles. I bet I'm not the only one who would never sing it. The scousers have got it right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But Jerusalem is not in England. :(
Another thing we stole off the Palestinians.

(Checks blue touch paper lit, now crouching down behind the sofa)

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I hate to say it, but, why don’t we have a national anthem like Flower of Scotland.

It’s inclusive, every Jock can sing it, and it sounds bloody awesome.

I make no bones, I hate our anthem, I never sing it, I would love an anthem I could sing and be proud to sing.
You do realise that the National Anthem, aka God Save the King, was about crushing the Scots during the Jacobite rebellion in 1745. Let’s hear it for Field Marshal George Wade as the fourth verse is in praise of him. Honestly, it would have William Wallace turning in his grave - if they managed to collect his head and the other quartered parts of his body.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It wasn't in Israel before 1948 either, or not for a bloody long time anyway - but I'm too tired to engage in one-up-man-ship politics tonight!
I think you just agreed with me. Still....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Rule Brittania, Marmalade and Jam,
Five Chinese crackers up your arse go,
Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.

Oz, Aufweidersehen Pet.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's a good song, but would need a little bit of updating to remove the colonial undertones. That shouldn't be too difficult. I'd vote for it if they were removed.

I'd also replace the St George's flag as well.

There's a lot of folk like me who would like to claim back their love for Blighty from those who still think a third of the planet is coloured pink.

Then again, I'm more Sussex than England. My 'identity' is more 'club over country'. That's interesting because in that dynamic I'm an immigrant.
An immigrant is the first to suggest changing the flag. Do you work in either the public sector, or a ‘not for profit’ entity, or the arts maybe?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My kids were down doing the ball boy stuff at the Olympic hockey park the other week and GB played Ireland. Even among just the hockey players I thought the Irish anthem is a belter.

I have never been in a rugby stadium for it but this is stirring stuff.

We need something better that is just ours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here