Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Flower of Scotland.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Mrs Blue3 has just suggested a fitting England football anthem would be Culture Clubs

Give me time to realize my crime
Let me love and steal
I have danced inside your eyes
How can I be real?
Do you really want to hurt me?
Do you really want to make me cry?
Precious kisses, words that burn me
Lovers never ask you why
In my heart the fire is burning
Choose my color, find a star
Precious people always tell me
That's a step, a step too far

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd say that, given that we bewilderingly regard ourselves as a Christian country, perhaps we should adopt a Charles Wesley hymn as the national anthem. He wrote some absolute bangers.

National Anthems don't have to be full of nationalistic fervour.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Welsh one is the best.
England should use Land of Hope and Glory
It's a good song, but would need a little bit of updating to remove the colonial undertones. That shouldn't be too difficult. I'd vote for it if they were removed.

I'd also replace the St George's flag as well.

There's a lot of folk like me who would like to claim back their love for Blighty from those who still think a third of the planet is coloured pink.

Then again, I'm more Sussex than England. My 'identity' is more 'club over country'. That's interesting because in that dynamic I'm an immigrant.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Every overseas fan regularly tuning in to an EPL match is convinced that England's national anthem is Hey Jude.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A song about sending the English home in a war several centuries ago.

Sounds a bit like ten German bombers in the sky to me…

Love the hypocrisy.

Ps) no issue with it, just highlighting!

Pps) I like I vow to thee our country for the English national anthem or land of hope and glory or Jerusalem

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Jerusalem as a tune with different words. Blake wrote it as a parody.

FOS was written in the 60s, so why not have something more modern?
The tune came much later and I wouldn't describe the original Blake poem as a parody. It was an allegory, inspired by the Joseph of Arimathea myth. I read it as an exhortation to the people to strive to build a paradise 'among these dark satanic mills'. I'd rather an anthem that hopes for a better future than one that celebrates the accepted order (GSTK) or that celebrates selected military victories over a historic enemy (FoS).

'Flower of Scotland' seems a bit like us singing a song about how we once beat Palace instead of 'Sussex By The Sea'. It defines a nationality through opposition which is a bit strange as Scotland surely has better ways to define itself than wars with it's neighbour seven hundred years ago.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The tune came much later and I wouldn't describe the original Blake poem as a parody. It was an allegory, inspired by the Joseph of Arimathea myth. I read it as an exhortation to the people to strive to build a paradise 'among these dark satanic mills'. I'd rather an anthem that hopes for a better future than one that celebrates the accepted order (GSTK) or that celebrates selected military victories over a historic enemy (FoS).

'Flower of Scotland' seems a bit like us singing a song about how we once beat Palace instead of 'Sussex By The Sea'. It defines a nationality through opposition which is a bit strange as Scotland surely has better ways to define itself than wars with it's neighbour seven hundred years ago.
The Joseph of Arimathea story is definitely a myth. Look at the words again with a sarcastic bent.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A song about sending the English home in a war several centuries ago.

Sounds a bit like ten German bombers in the sky to me…

Love the hypocrisy.

Ps) no issue with it, just highlighting!

Pps) I like I vow to thee our country for the English national anthem or land of hope and glory or Jerusalem
Nah. They sent one English king home with a flea in his ear.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Joseph of Arimathea story is definitely a myth. Look at the words again with a sarcastic bent.
I know. I just called it a myth. The sarcasm might work for the first stanzas, but doesn't stack up at all with the last verse:

"I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land."

It's pure utopianism.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know. I just called it a myth. The sarcasm might work for the first stanzas, but doesn't stack up at all with the last verse:

"I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land."

It's pure utopianism.
I agree. He belonged to a sect called the Dissenters and eventually declared mad.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Isn't the Flower of Scotland, the thistle? A spiky bastard thing, you don't want to be near.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
“That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen
And stood against him
Proud edward's army,
And sent him homeward
Tae think again”

erm….ok

Battle of Bannockburn took place on 22nd and 23rd June, 1314. Exactly 710 years ago, and in another 710 years, Scotland will still have not got out of their group in the Euros.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The answer to the questions in Jerusalem are 'no', 'no' 'no' and 'no'.

I'm all for a vision of building utopias in England green and pleasant land, but getting planning permission will be tricky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here