Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FL statement on Portsmouth

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Most true pompey fans both accept and want to start again as Portsmouth City FC. Most of them also understand the club has taken the piss and are quite committed to starting again AFC Wimbledon style.

Nothing stopping them.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
The most obvious thing would be the fans to form another team, then shove the money into that. PFC is long dead, why would anyone want to purchase their liabilities is beyond me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The true football fan lurking within my soul wants to ensure Portsmouth FC survives an entity in some form or other, either as a result of a genuine fan rich enough and/or able enough to take them forward, or as an 'AFC Portsmouth', with something for the local community to stick by.

However, the fact is, I am sick and tired of this seemingly endless, tedious, shit-laden carcass of a story being regurgitated over and over again, claim and counterclaim going in, people wanting their money, people holding things up, administrators with no teeth, the Football League with no balls; all the while nothing actually happens, and we just go round and round and round like a vomit-encrusted carousel on Southsea Pier.

Will someone please either pull this club up by the bootstraps OR stick a f***ing bullet in the back of its head once and for all just in order that it can stop embarrassing itself, supporters and football in general any more than it needs to?

Well said Al it is about time somebody had the balls to do something positive one way or the other and resolve the situation .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The most obvious thing would be the fans to form another team, then shove the money into that. PFC is long dead, why would anyone want to purchase their liabilities is beyond me.

Its because they (the Trust) are not willing to give up their emotional bond with Fratton Park (and that there is apparently no suitable alternative venue on the island).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The true football fan lurking within my soul wants to ensure Portsmouth FC survives an entity in some form or other, either as a result of a genuine fan rich enough and/or able enough to take them forward, or as an 'AFC Portsmouth', with something for the local community to stick by.

However, the fact is, I am sick and tired of this seemingly endless, tedious, shit-laden carcass of a story being regurgitated over and over again, claim and counterclaim going in, people wanting their money, people holding things up, administrators with no teeth, the Football League with no balls; all the while nothing actually happens, and we just go round and round and round like a vomit-encrusted carousel on Southsea Pier.

Will someone please either pull this club up by the bootstraps OR stick a f***ing bullet in the back of its head once and for all just in order that it can stop embarrassing itself, supporters and football in general any more than it needs to?

Brilliant post!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I hope the "greatest supporters in the land" realise this is just the start of a long period in the doldrums. Let's see how they react to spending a decade bumbling along in the bottom two divisions in their derelict ramshackle home. Nobs.

Is that the same supporters who are currently whining all over Twitter about how UNFAIR it all is and how MEAN and NASTY those horrible men at the Football League are?

Always the victims.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

This, its beyond pathetic now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Most true pompey fans both accept and want to start again as Portsmouth City FC. Most of them also understand the club has taken the piss and are quite committed to starting again AFC Wimbledon style.

Excellent.

Let them get on with it. They could (and should) have started on this by now. They may well even get my (and I'm sure several thousand football fans') support.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Excellent.

Let them get on with it. They could (and should) have started on this by now. They may well even get my (and I'm sure several thousand football fans') support.
Exactly. I want Portsmouth FC to die, to go bust, to be kicked out of the league, and I've wanted this for a couple of years now. But I don't want the Portsmouth fans to be without a club to support and I'll happily chuck a fiver in a bucket, go to a Fans Utd game, indeed anything except wear a half-and-half scarf in order to help get the new Portsmouth FC up and running.

It's a pity they didn't go bust when they 'should' have done, i.e. when they were a high-profile Premier League club as that might have been a more salutary lesson for British football. Now that they've almost slumped out of sight it's going to be more akin to when Aldershot went bust.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I don't think PST realise the fact that reforming as a phoenix club at the bottom of the non league pyramid is the only way to survive in the long term.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
This is a reply from my mate if you are interested (A pompey season ticket holder for 30 years)

This is actually mostly good news.

It shows the PST takeover is credible and viable, however that's dependant on enough fans pledging shares. 2,000 have indicated they would do the £1,000 and as of last Monday around 800 had done so with many waiting for the court case before committing.

The court case is this Thursday and Friday and I personally don't see it being a problem.

Therefore as long as the fans back the fans takeover all is well.

The 10 point deduction is an odd one as there's no clear precedent despite what some say about the previous CVA and the 10 points were deducted as part of stopping Portpin coming back to rape the club again. The reason given was the old CVA creditors didn't have a say on the most recent creditors meeting which is a weak point as they have all agreed to be represented by Baker Tilly. There's probably a good case to appeal, but given where we are, the resources we have and how what the club really needs is a fresh start, clean slate and certain stability, my view is we take it on the chin and if it results in us writing off this season and going to Div 4 so be it.

We'll need a settling in period and unless there's a real chance of us staying up (ie we actually start winning games very soon) then we'd be better off preparing properly for next season to take Div 4 by storm. We might actually have a normal pre season for the first time in a few years!

Providing the court case goes well, off the pitch we've bottomed out, on it we may have a little more dropping to do before we start to rise again.

The Pompey roller coaster - the highs are very high and the lows provide better pubs and a real football experience!! What more could you ask for?

Mike

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bless them and their deluded ways :lolol:

Finally the points deduction is supposed to be a 'sporting sanction'. Exactly how much more handicapped does the FL want us to be? We have new players every month, are restricted to a squad of 20, can't sign a replacement loan keeper etc etc. Shocking decision by the FL and we should call them on it.

Talk about punish us enough don't forget the first -10pts resulted in relegation, without we would of stayed up. As far as i'm concerned the fl approved these people to take over our club. Isn't it about time the fl took some resposability, but that aint going to happen is it.....pr*cks.

I'm afraid the FL have once again showed themselves to be the spineless bunch of coonts they are!!

Honestly [MENTION=22229]Football[/MENTION]_league how did you keep a straight face when you decided to punish a club shafted by people YOU deemed suitable owners?

Pompey getting another 10 points deducted for nothing #whydoesnoonelikeus #fuckthefootballleague

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think PST realise the fact that reforming as a phoenix club at the bottom of the non league pyramid is the only way to survive in the long term.

I believe they've changed the rules and phoenix clubs now can start in conference north/south so as not to overwhelm the smaller grounds.

However, for this to happen Portsmouth FC have to be legally bust first, and so a new club started before the demise of PFC would not count as a phoenix, and would have to start at the very bottom of the pyramid.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I believe they've changed the rules and phoenix clubs now can start in conference north/south so as not to overwhelm the smaller grounds.

However, for this to happen Portsmouth FC have to be legally bust first, and so a new club started before the demise of PFC would not count as a phoenix, and would have to start at the very bottom of the pyramid.

I was thinking that if they already had £200k in pledges that would be enough to start again at County League level and then progress one step at a time back to Conference South.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
If - and it's a big if - thousands of their fans do actually come up with a grand each to keep the club going, then fair play to them, especially in these times.
I'm not sure we'd do any better in their position, for all the previous suggestions that our supporters are somehow a cut above theirs, when push came to shove in our dark days under Archer, the number of hardcore activists who actually went to meetings at the Concorde, up to Archers house etc etc were a miniscule proportion of our current support, and even a very small percentage of our support at that time.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Its because they (the Trust) are not willing to give up their emotional bond with Fratton Park (and that there is apparently no suitable alternative venue on the island).

I know that's not your views but theirs but surely the Mountbatten athletics stadium or the like could be used temporarily - say for 12 or 13 years or something.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Pompey getting another 10 points deducted for nothing #whydoesnoonelikeus #fuckthefootballleague

It's beginning to look like they won't need to worry about the Football League as all soon :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here