Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIVE-AND-A-HALF year deal for Pardew

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Given that (unlikely) situation, Ashley would have the opportunity to offer him better terms to stay. There's no allowance to offer worse terms to an under-performing manager, so it still seems a win-win to me

Yes, that's a fair point. And I agree that it's unlikely that he'd do well.

I'm going to have a quick punt on Newcastle having the worst disciplinary record in the PL - they're only third favourites right now but there are combustible characters there - Hughton did well to keep them under control.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
One and half hours later and Pardew hasn't been sacked yet! Oh well, won't be too much longer..............................

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Say what you like about Ashley and the actual person he has appointed, but the contract itself seems like a shrewd bit of business!

I'm not seeing anything "shrewd" about this - in fact, quite the opposite. He had a cheap guy who got results, he's now got a more expensive guy who will probably get worse results.

Apparently Hughton was on £450K p.a. basic and his contract expired at the end of the season. Pardew is supposedly on £750K p.a, so immediately a £300K p.a. increase in the manager's salary.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Utterly, utterly ridiculous. Fair play to Pardew though, this contract will presumably sort him financially for life.

I'm not sure who Ashley or the fans were expecting after the sacking of Hughton. Ferguson maybe? Mourinho? As Ray Wilkins said on the radio the other day, Newcastle are not a great club. They have a great fanbase but it's a fallacy that they are a great club. They haven't won anything for how long?
Championship last year!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm going shopping in a little while, it's probable that I will buy some yoghurts which will last longer than Pardew !

5 1/2 years , what a joke !

So, 8 managers have been wrong in 6 years but they do have the right owner ? :lolol::laugh::lolol::laugh:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm not seeing anything "shrewd" about this - in fact, quite the opposite. He had a cheap guy who got results, he's now got a more expensive guy who will probably get worse results.

Apparently Hughton was on £450K p.a. basic and his contract expired at the end of the season. Pardew is supposedly on £750K p.a, so immediately a £300K p.a. increase in the manager's salary.

But I'm talking about the contract - not about who he got rid of or who he got in (a truly AWFUL decision). All I mean is the idea of payment by results is shrewd.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Inevitably though, the results will be shit and Pardew will then say he can't get results without better players, which means spending big money Ashley clearly won't release. Pardew will then say his hands are tied and it's the board's fault he has no money, they'll fall out and he'll be sacked.

The other albatross round Pardew's neck are the real results Hughton achieved this season - Newcastle 5-1 Sunderland, Newcastle 6-0 Villa, Arsenal 0-1 Newcastle. Not to mention a cheeky Everton 0-1 Newcastle and the emergence of Andy Carroll as an England international.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
See the report I read said 2016 I was fully expecting Newcastle to start the search for their new manager at around 17 past 8 tonight which did seem reasonable.

:lolol: Bravo!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see Pardew is saying that he couldn't turn the job down as Newcastle are one of England's top five clubs. Have Newcastle finished in the top five once in the past 10 years?

Of course, he could be using some other criterion to judge the top five clubs - fattest owner? Worst dressed female fans? Most deluded supporters? Biggest laughing stock? In which case, I applaud his honesty.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Courtesy of today's Popbitch...

'Gazza turned up at Mike Ashley's office Monday morning with a can of beer, some chicken and a fishing rod to try and stop him before he did something stupid...'

:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here