Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIVE-AND-A-HALF year deal for Pardew

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
99.9% of fans dont want Pards | The Sun |Sport|Football
And a sign of how unpopular the move is came in a local poll which showed just 14 out of more than 1,000 fans wanted him.

Martin O'Neill and Martin Jol were the big favourites. Even ex-boss Hughton got more votes.

Pardew will become one of the Premier League's lowest-paid managers on around £700,000 a year. But he will get a lengthy contract and sizeable bonuses if he achieves success.

More details/rumours about the contract:
Mike Ashley wants Newcastle run like Sports Direct | The Sun |Sport|Football

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Mental. I really don't get football and the way managers who have traditionally been rubbish or not very good continue to get new jobs after they've been sacked numerous times. Alan Ball, Joe Kinnear, Gordon Strachan, Keegan, Tony Adams, Pardew, Mark McGhee to name but a few.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
The toon army are planning on boycotting out of protest.

Apparantly he's going to be their Arsene Wenger pahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This is the best joke i have heard in a long time.

The really down side though is we lose Lua Lua :angry:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
On ESPN

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
there is probably a clause in the contract that says he gets no compensation if he gets caught shagging a player's wife..................

............................................... gone by the end of the season then

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
From what I've read (seemingly backed up by others on here), the length of the contract doesn't really matter. It has apparently been written with penalty-free break clauses in case (when?) he fails, so it won't cost Ashley / Toon anything to get rid when he cocks it up. A (relatively) low basic wage, payment of generous bonuses for results and no costly pay-off if he bombs... Say what you like about Ashley and the actual person he has appointed, but the contract itself seems like a shrewd bit of business!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The sun is reporting there is a clause that says he won't get a pay off if he fails.

That's interesting. As contracts have to be reciprocal, that implies that Pardew could also leave without another club paying compensation. So, if Pardew does do well, it's an open market for any other chairman to snap him up without having to cough up.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Utterly, utterly ridiculous. Fair play to Pardew though, this contract will presumably sort him financially for life.

I'm not sure who Ashley or the fans were expecting after the sacking of Hughton. Ferguson maybe? Mourinho? As Ray Wilkins said on the radio the other day, Newcastle are not a great club. They have a great fanbase but it's a fallacy that they are a great club. They haven't won anything for how long?

Savage said the same on FiveLive on Sunday I think and they went mental

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Seems strange if he has a bonus for staying in the Prem.... Bearing in mind Hughton was sacked so another manager could take them to the next level. Having a bonus for achieving the bare minimum doesn't really seem a great idea

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Wonder if he'll teach his players to RAPE the opposition.

In March 2009, on Match of the Day 2 Pardew stated that Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien "absolutely rapes" Man City player Ched Evans during a midfield tussle for the ball, in the sense that he bested him physically. The BBC said there will be no on-air apology, despite 35 viewer complaints, insisting it had been misheard as "rakes", and expressing no certainty that Pardew would appear, or not appear on the show again.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
That's interesting. As contracts have to be reciprocal, that implies that Pardew could also leave without another club paying compensation. So, if Pardew does do well, it's an open market for any other chairman to snap him up without having to cough up.

I don't think Newcastle will have much cause to worry about that tbh.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Given that (unlikely) situation, Ashley would have the opportunity to offer him better terms to stay. There's no allowance to offer worse terms to an under-performing manager, so it still seems a win-win to me

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
From Twitter: Pardew is 6/1 with Ladbrokes to be next Prem manager sacked!!.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here