Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Fish soup, gurnard's head

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Cheers! Yes, exactly that - Mrs T showed me how to make chicken soup and we now waste nothing when we roast. She's vegetarian, as it happens, but will cook meat. I'm now a dab had at chicken soup.

WRT the latter, I roast a chicken on top of a pile of rough chopped veg (with celery protected under the bird). I collect all the fat and juices after, and let them settle in a pyrex bowl. After a few hours in the fridge the fat has separated from an insanely lovely chicken jelly. I use that in soups and curries.

So the fish shoup was an obvious extension to the chicken adventure.

I now have a big jar of fish soup/stock in the fridge. It looks exactly like the fish soup I occasionally buy from Macknade in Faversham - at £7-8 a pop!

We have the gurnard fillet to eat today. Local roast spud and red cabbage seem a likely combo, something to enjoy after today's massive 0-0 victory :thumbsup:

I made 3litres of fish stock. Had to cut off half of the heads as too many make the stock bitter. Put it in the fridge and then forgot about it.....had to throw away :(

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
F16552C1-4FEE-4B73-AEB9-87BDEC97F71F.jpeg

I had red gurnard earlier this week. Delicious.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Economies of scale Harry, boiling a Gurnard head for 4 hours on the gas cooker probably means another one of the Seychelle's has just gone under !:facepalm:

I admire your sense of proportion.

My hob is electric.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I made 3litres of fish stock. Had to cut off half of the heads as too many make the stock bitter. Put it in the fridge and then forgot about it.....had to throw away :(

Twit.

I don't like too much stuff in the fridge. If I can't see it I don't know it's there. Sadly Mrs T is one for tucking bits into the back of the fridge and leaving them there till they start to ooze drips onto the shelf below :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here