Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Fish soup, gurnard's head

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We went to The Goods Shed in the summer. And again. Perfect for those inclined towards that sort of thing.
What I'm really impressed with, however, is that you managed to sweat the garlick with the onions while matching the garlic with the fish head. Heaven forbid if you'd done it the other way round. And, while we're at it, I'm pleased you blended the celerey, because celery is just too stringy to blend.

That's the Gurnard's head sorted. What Pot(ter) have you got in store for Gerrard's head for late lunch tomorrow?

Pedant.

I vote we send Harry round to LFM to give Duncan a hand with evening service. What could possibly go wrong?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We went to The Goods Shed in the summer. And again. Perfect for those inclined towards that sort of thing.
What I'm really impressed with, however, is that you managed to sweat the garlick with the onions while matching the garlic with the fish head. Heaven forbid if you'd done it the other way round. And, while we're at it, I'm pleased you blended the celerey, because celery is just too stringy to blend.

That's the Gurnard's head sorted. What Pot(ter) have you got in store for Gerrard's head for late lunch tomorrow?

Three points.

Could be pints.

You decide :wink:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
One of the key drivers in the fish ( eating ) market are a, does it taste nice ? and b, is there lots of it easily obtainable ? Gurnard falls flat in both sections I'm afraid. ... and PLEASE do NOT mention Grey Mullet...... there is a reason why they are so plentiful in our rivers and estuaries, they eat shit and they taste of shit. If Cod or Haddock had ever found their way up the Ouse to Lewes would there be ANY left in the river ?
In the 70s, we used to catch ( mullet) them off the wooden bridge by the Amsterdam in Shoreham,.... we tried to sell them, quite big ones too, but almost nobody ever wanted them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Currently what's hot is the Squid fishing along the south coast. Loads of them about this year thanks to the clear water due to the lack of SW gales we usually get.

Flash fried in Panko breadcrumbs they are a delight.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd suggest similar criteria applies to that 'meaty' River Cobbler on sale at your local supermarket.

Nothing wrong with River Cobbler in a fish pie or stir fry - tasty fish - although now, for some reason, known as Basa.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OP needs to learn to spell garlic.

Gurnard is a nice tasting fish btw.

Apologies. I had a colleague called 'Garlick'. Oddly, she is allergic to garlic. My spelling is, sadly, not my strong suit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great thread.

I always boil my roast chicken bones in the same way to make a chicken soup. Never tried it with fish though.

Cheers! Yes, exactly that - Mrs T showed me how to make chicken soup and we now waste nothing when we roast. She's vegetarian, as it happens, but will cook meat. I'm now a dab had at chicken soup.

WRT the latter, I roast a chicken on top of a pile of rough chopped veg (with celery protected under the bird). I collect all the fat and juices after, and let them settle in a pyrex bowl. After a few hours in the fridge the fat has separated from an insanely lovely chicken jelly. I use that in soups and curries.

So the fish shoup was an obvious extension to the chicken adventure.

I now have a big jar of fish soup/stock in the fridge. It looks exactly like the fish soup I occasionally buy from Macknade in Faversham - at £7-8 a pop!

We have the gurnard fillet to eat today. Local roast spud and red cabbage seem a likely combo, something to enjoy after today's massive 0-0 victory :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry, as a genuine Sea Angler and lover of edible fish I would say this. Knorr fish stock cubes. Do you realise how much you have accelerated Global Warming by spending hours boiling up a fish head that would be better recycled by being thrown over your back fence for the local foxes ?

And knorr pick their fish stock cubes from a magic fish stock cube tree, growing the the orchard of the Sisters of Mercy, right? ???

:wink:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And knorr pick their fish stock cubes from a magic fish stock cube tree, growing the the orchard of the Sisters of Mercy, right? ???

:wink:

Economies of scale Harry, boiling a Gurnard head for 4 hours on the gas cooker probably means another one of the Seychelle's has just gone under !:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here