Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Test of the Summer England vs. Ireland at Lords

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
244-1 drinks, another 200 runs on the board then declaration?
I like to think they would push on. Folk pay to see these matches. I want @ Smirko to get their third day. I accept that's not England's style.

Ireland were always going to get a battering. Everything is against them at the moment.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ironic that Zak Crawley getting 50 is turning out to be a dud score

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
361-2, happily for Ireland its only Joe Root coming in...

Root has needs just 52 for his 11,000 Test runs, may well happen...
I was just thinking the same... all smiles to break the partnership and then in walks Root, not far off 11,000 runs in tests.

Even with one of these two out, there are 3 biffers next up, who should sort out the run rate which has sadly drifted under 6 an over...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
400 up. Ireland receiving a shellacking of Cromwellian proportions.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Lots of records may well fall, Pope needs 5 more for his highest Test score.

EDIT: gets there with a SIX!

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Got to keep batting. Pope really should be trying to get out here so Brooks and Stokes get some time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ireland have played six test matches and lost the lot, and this one isn't much of a game either. My initial reaction is that they're not quite ready to be a test nation.

Then I looked at Sri Lanka, who I remember watching at Sussex in the 80s when they first became a test nation: They beat India and Pakistan in 1985 but then had to wait 7 years for another victory.

Bangladesh were even worse. They played their first test in 2000, won their first test match in 2005 (against the might of Zimbabwe) and had to wait until 2016 for their second win.

So whilst this seems a pointless exercise, hopefully Ireland will kick on in the coming years...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
503/2 at Tea.

Will they come back out to let Pope get his double hundred
Bat on and on to get near 1,000 just to ensure crowds are in on Saturday and Sunday

Or will they believe they can finish the game tonight and declare and look to blow Ireland away in a session. to get their feet up with the Ashes approaching.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What benefit would there be in trying to finish this game early? Passes up valuable batting time, in match conditions. Deprives people of the opportunity to watch. Deprives the ECB / MCC of ticket (and on-ground) income.

If there were any bad weather about, that would be different - but there isn't.

England should bat on, at least until the close tonight. Ideally until lunch tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here