Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First Manager to get sacked in Premier League?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
One thing I can't stand about Liverpool is this gang of ex-players who all make a living out of slagging off the current team and manager. John Aldridge, David Fairclough, all these jokers who either have never managed or made a total pig's ear of it, and don't really have the inside track on the current set-up or dressing room.

I know Sky and talkSPORT feed this kind of thing, and it's the same to some extent for all big clubs. But it just seems to be worse at Liverpool, or there are more of them. Aldridge was given about 20 minutes on Sky Sports News earlier, and he has about as much idea of what is wrong as anyone on here.

There was an item on TV recently, can't remember where, probably Sky, that talked about the bunch of ex-players at Liverpool who turn up (for free) every week, and sit in a row just behind the dugouts, shaking their heads at every decision made, making it very difficult for the incumbent, just because "things were better in our day" - I guess they won everything, so maybe earned the right, but it doesn't help.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely no chance of this - Curbishley hasn't worked since SUING West Ham for unfair dismissal. No other club wants to touch him with a barge pole, let alone West Ham themselves!

This is Premier League football we're talking about! Curbs' beef was with a previous board, and if other clubs don't want him then all the more reason to seek a move back to the Boleyn Ground. I think the fans would respond to the appointment, I think the players would come on board. Moreover, he's immediately available without any requirement to pay compensation and, crucially, he's dyed in the wool Claret and Blue which, to me, is crucial for a club that have los t their way and their identity.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This is Premier League football we're talking about! Curbs' beef was with a previous board, and if other clubs don't want him then all the more reason to seek a move back to the Boleyn Ground. I think the fans would respond to the appointment, I think the players would come on board. Moreover, he's immediately available without any requirement to pay compensation and, crucially, he's dyed in the wool Claret and Blue which, to me, is crucial for a club that have los t their way and their identity.

Would you want to work for Sullivan and Gold I know I wouldn't, a right pair of dodgy geezers. I have no particular feelings towards WH but can't stand those two - and to think, some people wanted them involved with us not so long ago.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It depends what you mean by 'dodgy'. In my book the Glazers are dodgy, Abramovich is dodgy, Mike Ashley is dodgy. Even with a chairman who is not dodgy it doesn't guarantee a longer career with a club. At the end of the day Curbishley is 53, he was born in West Ham, he comes from a large family and lives in Essex. He's only ever managed West Ham and Charlton. He got West Ham out of a similar relegation mess 3 years ago when they beat Man Utd at Old Trafford to stay up.

Looking at last night's 5-0 shambles you have to say the club could do a lot worse than Curbs. However, I'd be surprised if he WAS appointed. Sullivan and Gold will appoint someone like Hughton who, whilst being a top bloke, is not going to get West Ham back into a European place or a Cup Final anytime soon.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Absolutely no chance of this - Curbishley hasn't worked since SUING West Ham for unfair dismissal. No other club wants to touch him with a barge pole, let alone West Ham themselves!

Im read on Sunday that Curbs was interviewed TWICE for the Villa job but they chose Houllier instead (for whatever reason). Whether he would go back to West Ham is another matter. But like others have said his gripe was with a previous regime.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Out of :

Roy Hodgsen : Liverpool below expectations, 4 points from the drop zone

Carlo Anncelotti : Not even in top 4, and only 10 points from 10 games

Avram Grant : Sights on mid table, bottom of table

Gerard Houllier : Wanting Uefa cup spot, fighting to stop the drop

Personally I think Hodgsen will go first because Liverpool have Daglish as cartaker

Who do you think?

:amex::falmer::ascarf:

Hodgsen will be gone by the weekend.

Grant will go when West Ham crash out of the FA Cup this weekend.

Anncelotti and Houllier will be fired if they don't win their next league game.

Would you want to work for Sullivan and Gold I know I wouldn't, a right pair of dodgy geezers. I have no particular feelings towards WH but can't stand those two - and to think, some people wanted them involved with us not so long ago.

As if proof were needed, the treatment they handed down to Steve Bruce while Gold was salivating over the possible purchase of his share of BCFC was shameful. A good manager and seems a good fellow in my opinion.
At that point I did not want Gold anywhere near The Albion, while some were going on about what a financial asset he would be for us.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Hodgson has had 35 years to prove he suits a big club and he doesn't, Roy should 100% be sacked. It's just Liverpools results, it's the poor performances and negative tactics. If he wasn't English the press would be killing him, ala Benitez, Jol, Grant. Nothing personal against the man but he simply isn't good enough.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Hodgson has had 35 years to prove he suits a big club and he doesn't, Roy should 100% be sacked. It's just Liverpools results, it's the poor performances and negative tactics. If he wasn't English the press would be killing him, ala Benitez, Jol, Grant. Nothing personal against the man but he simply isn't good enough.

They don't fancy takin' Inspector Clueless away from Villa Park do they? He seems to love it up there still (think: behaviour as 'new' club were getting absolutely hammered at Anfield). At least the Villa Board have publicly given him their backing today... :thumbsup: :wink:

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
They don't fancy takin' Inspector Clueless away from Villa Park do they? He seems to love it up there still (think: behaviour as 'new' club were getting absolutely hammered at Anfield). At least the Villa Board have publicly given him their backing today... :thumbsup: :wink:

Just let him sign the next Zidane (Bruno Cheyro) or next Henry (Sinama Pongolle)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hodgson has had 35 years to prove he suits a big club and he doesn't

You don't think Inter Milan are a big club despite their 18 league champions and 3 European Cup/CL wins? I think you might be in a bit of minority on that one.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
You don't think Inter Milan are a big club despite their 18 league champions and 3 European Cup/CL wins? I think you might be in a bit of minority on that one.

So what 3 years out of 35 he managed a big club and won nothing prior to Liverpool? Biggest achievement losing a UFEA Cup Final? My point exactly.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Just let him sign the next Zidane (Bruno Cheyro) or next Henry (Sinama Pongolle)

That'd be smashin' if true hon, but I'm not too sure if they'd have the stomach for a relegation tear-up. Still, at least I might get to see them twice next season if my fears are realised. Oh, & just in case anybody's wondering, I'll be supporting The Albion (& I ain't talking about that sodding yam yam mob!).

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

I might disagree with Aldo over Benitez but Im absolutely with him on this! Some managers do not fit certain clubs, no rhyme nor reason, its one of those things. Roy does not fit with Liverpool. He has not got the nouse, skills or ability. Its beyond him. Anyone who comes out and blames the supporters on the kop, idiot.

As I said on another thread he has won only 3 away games out of over 30 with both Liverpool & Fulham has got issues.

The only saving grace out of all of this is he wont ever manage England.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good piece from the BBC about how managers are being made a scapegoat for club's poor performances
BBC Sport - Football - Stop 'scapegoating' football managers - LMA
The shocking statistic is at the end where the average tenure has fallen from three years, six months in 1992 to one year four months now. If you take the likes of SAF, Wenger and Moyes out of the equation, it's probably closer to a year. How on earth is anyone going to reverse a long-term decline in that time period? And why should a manager like Ancelloti be scapegoated for a bad decision that he had no part of?

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Sack them all except for those that win something????
Add the few who are just happy to be there.
I reckon at least half of the Premiership managers would be gone by the end of January.

Falmer Forever

Jan 5, 2011
The odds for the first manager to get sacked are :

Roy Hogdsen : 4-7

Carlo Ancelotti : 9-4

Avram Grant : 7-2

Gerard Houllier : 13-2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here