Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First Manager to get sacked in Premier League?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hodgeson will be gone soon, as for Liverpool having a poor squad, it is not as bad Roy would have people believe.
Lucas is undeniably a quality player and is beginning to show that class.
Torres, Gerrard, Reina all among the best in their positions.
Merellies looks like he can play and
Agger is quality when fit.
Kuyt will run and run all game and with quality around him can certainly be effective.
Maxi is also a fair player.
Cole is a decent impact player

What Liverpool need is a manager who can get the best out of these players add a couple of quality signings and get them playing decent football.... not an unreasonable or unrealistic request. Let us not forget that Benetez's old boys finished second the season before last.

The worst players in the team are poulsen and Knocheski both bought in by Hodgeson

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
The pressure from the fans and media will be the demise of Roy Hodgson, I said at he time he was the wrong person for Liverpool, he is a good manager, at the right club!! Liverpool was never the place for his style of management, I would not be surprised to hear a bit later on this morning that liverpool FC and Roy Hodgson have departed company.

Aston villa may be a good shout for him, because they will be needing a new manager soon:)

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Makes me laugh though, all these managers who will probably get the boot will all walk away with a massive fortune.......they can sack me for a million+ quid if they want!!!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Meanwhile in the real world.................................

Jim Gannon has got the Port Vale gig vacated by Micky Adams.

Weren't we just lucky he turned us down

Hodgson has just been the wrong fit for Liverpool. The scousers have pissed me off with the constant belittling of him "he's out of his depth", etc., but I do think he's got his tactics wrong and he's lost the fans and one suspects probably key elements of the dressing room (Gerrard & Torres). Decent manager and an obvious choice for them in the summer, it's just not worked out. It happens. I think he will be the next to go.

Grant seems pretty popular with the fans, but his team have been mostly gash. Has not been able to improve on their lacklustre performance under Zola and isn't getting enough out of their few decent players such as Carlton Cole. I suspect that Sullivan & Gold are getting itchy fingers with their whole financial plan for the club being dependent on staying in the Premier League. I don't think he'll make it to the end of February.

Ancellotti is clearly a dead man walking. However I'd be surprised if Abramovich sacked him mid-season; that lack of stability is the last thing they need. However if Hiddink is available and interested that could bring forward his departure. I think he'll make it to the end of the season.

Houllier will be at Villa for a while I think. The board seem fairly patient and he has got a pretty major rebuilding job to do at Villa Park. Not very popular with the fans so far but I think he'll turn it around. I don't think he'll be sacked before the end of the season, and can even see them sticking with him if they get relegated (which I don't think they will).

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Couldn't give a flying duck to be honest. Five Live are all over this subject this morning. Would be a breath of fresh air if mention were made of the only club in England to have topped their league since September....................oh wait a minute, that's not newsworthy enough and someone might nick our manager!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Couldn't give a flying duck to be honest. Five Live are all over this subject this morning. Would be a breath of fresh air if mention were made of the only club in England to have topped their league since September....................oh wait a minute, that's not newsworthy enough and someone might nick our manager!

I very much doubt that the media would get many viewers / listeners / readers if they DID NOT cover the obvious, smaller clubs never get enough coverage thats just the way it is, always has been always will be, thats why regionalised radio, TV and papers tend to cover their local clubs.

So tune OUT of five live and tune into Sussex Radio :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ancellotti is clearly a dead man walking. However I'd be surprised if Abramovich sacked him mid-season; that lack of stability is the last thing they need.

Of course. Chelsea's decline has coincided with the sacking of Wilkins, something that Ancelloti wasn't responsible for, or wanted. But, it seems, he's going to take the rap for someone else's poor decision.

So tune OUT of five live and tune into Sussex Radio :)

You mean the radio station that broadcast Eastbourne v Cambridge instead of the Brighton match on Monday?

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Of course. Chelsea's decline has coincided with the sacking of Wilkins, something that Ancelloti wasn't responsible for, or wanted. But, it seems, he's going to take the rap for someone else's poor decision.

You mean the radio station that broadcast Eastbourne v Cambridge instead of the Brighton match on Monday?

I thankyou !

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Please let it be Avram Grant....even looking at the sour faced c**t makes me want to slit my wrists. He should've been a post mortem technician.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
One thing I can't stand about Liverpool is this gang of ex-players who all make a living out of slagging off the current team and manager. John Aldridge, David Fairclough, all these jokers who either have never managed or made a total pig's ear of it, and don't really have the inside track on the current set-up or dressing room.

I know Sky and talkSPORT feed this kind of thing, and it's the same to some extent for all big clubs. But it just seems to be worse at Liverpool, or there are more of them. Aldridge was given about 20 minutes on Sky Sports News earlier, and he has about as much idea of what is wrong as anyone on here.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd have thought Grant might edge it, as West Ham sack managers fairly regularly, whereas Liverpool don't have a history of doing it.

BBC says the Liverpool board are considering Hodgson's future, but aren't expecting any announcement today. The Gold brothers and Sullivan are the sort who won't want to cop the flak themselves, so I could see them flicking the switch on Grant imminently.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Woy will get the chop first. If he stays any longer they'll be out of the FA Cup and the transfer window will be shut, the season will be over and the rats will all leave the sinking ship. I'm suprised he's still in a job right now

Of the rest, Ancellotti - he won the double and is a good manager. It's not his fault Abramovich has reined in the purse strings, nor is it his fault he got rid of Ray Wilkins. If I was Carlo I'd be looking to get out pronto; he could justifiably pin the poor season on a chairman who's gone nuts and some unlucky injuries to key players. If the chairman sacks Ancellotti Chelsea risk missing out on Champions League repeatedly.

Avram Grant just isn't a good fit for West Ham, who historically have had charismatic bosses. If I was Sullivan and Gold I'd be considering bringing Curbishley out of semi-retirement. As for Houllier, I thought it was a bizarre appointment in the first place because he's a rebuilder when they had a young team who had already come through and just needed some motivation. I'd be interested to see what someone like a Holloway or Warnock could do with that side.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One thing I can't stand about Liverpool is this gang of ex-players who all make a living out of slagging off the current team and manager. John Aldridge, David Fairclough, all these jokers who either have never managed or made a total pig's ear of it, and don't really have the inside track on the current set-up or dressing room.

Most of them never had the balls to be a manager either or were complete shit at it themselves. Aldridge won a few notable cup games at Tranmere but ultimately got them relegated. Mark Lawrenson failed at Oxford and Peterborough, Phil Thompson was never more than Houllier's assistant. Alan Hansen, to be fair, refused to slag Hodgson off directly last night, acknowledging that he was never brave enough to be a manager himself, but then again he's known to be very close mates with Kenny Dalglish so what he says and what he thinks are probably very different things.

Liverpool fans pining for Dalglish demonstrates the sort of blind naivety that is only surpassed by Newcastle supporters unwavering loyalty towards Kevin Keegan.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Avram Grant just isn't a good fit for West Ham, who historically have had charismatic bosses. If I was Sullivan and Gold I'd be considering bringing Curbishley out of semi-retirement. As for Houllier, I thought it was a bizarre appointment in the first place because he's a rebuilder when they had a young team who had already come through and just needed some motivation. I'd be interested to see what someone like a Holloway or Warnock could do with that side.
Absolutely no chance of this - Curbishley hasn't worked since SUING West Ham for unfair dismissal. No other club wants to touch him with a barge pole, let alone West Ham themselves!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Most of them never had the balls to be a manager either or were complete shit at it themselves. Aldridge won a few notable cup games at Tranmere but ultimately got them relegated. Mark Lawrenson failed at Oxford and Peterborough, Phil Thompson was never more than Houllier's assistant. Alan Hansen, to be fair, refused to slag Hodgson off directly last night, acknowledging that he was never brave enough to be a manager himself, but then again he's known to be very close mates with Kenny Dalglish so what he says and what he thinks are probably very different things.

Liverpool fans pining for Dalglish demonstrates the sort of blind naivety that is only surpassed by Newcastle supporters unwavering loyalty towards Kevin Keegan.
I would absolutely LOVE to see "King Kenny" go to Liverpool. It would be a f***ing disaster and if it happened soon, it might even end up in relegation. Fingers crossed!

Mark Lawrenson failed at Oxford and Peterborough,

To be fair, listening to the 5live football daily this morning on the way in to work, I thought Lawrenson was pretty measured, surprisingly so. He said that he'd done a great job at Fulham but just hadn't got things right at Liverpool, and that he'd probably have to go because the fans were against him.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I think he is best suited for small clubs with less expectation and also sure Gus will not come into the frame for Chelsea as he is not got a big enough reputation as a manger for Abramovich. More likely somebody like Frank Rikkard (sp) or even Huddink again but full time. Alsofrom Gus's angle is with Chesslsea they can only go one way and he would be associated with that if it happened. Even Man Utd got relegated when the players all got too old together so why not Chelsea.

I do agree, I am sure one season in Division 1 is not going to be enough experience as manager for Abramovich to go for Gus. Even though Gus would be loved by the Chelsea fans (I am sure) does Abromavich even know him. Gus must have left Chelsea early 2000's, he finished at Spurs didn't he. Abromovich was after that wasn't he?? Hopefully he might have no idea whom Gus is!

Eventhough when Ancelloti goes I am sure when I look at the first page half of it will be full of Gus off to Chelsea stories.:laugh:

Hiddink would be my bet by the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here