Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finding work at 50

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I would check your spelling on the applications.

Would it be practical to move to a flooded area and get in on the refitting?

There is a time and a place for grammatical criticism and this is neither, so do one!
As for going to help in Queensland, I have already started enquiries but here qualifications from one state meen nothing in the others and I would probably have to do a course to get a certificate to make sure I was up to their standard, it's bureaucracy gone mad, you spend half your life here with one hand tied behind your back.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If nothing else it's encoraging to hear I am not the only one, and I am NOT getting any satisfaction out of other peoples misery, in a way it helps to know that it is a national thing and not just something I might be doing wrong.

I am in fact meeting up with someone later on this afternoon to do some voluntary work, totally unpaid but at least trying to put something back into society / the system, I will be helping young kids who have reading difficulties, it will not only get me out a bit but will bring back some self pride.

I am looking forward to it, it wont start for a few weeks as security checks etc have to be done, but something to look forward to, I have also put myself down for driving an ambulance, only picking up the infirm and elderly, taking them to and from home to hospital, and ive registered to spend at least one day in our local homeless office.

Biggest problem is I can't survive forever, we still have a mortgage to pay, so will have to find some work that pays sooner than later.

After being the one who calls all the shots for a number of years it feels like a climb down and as if you are holding out a begging bowl to any would be employer.
This may not be the case but it does not make you feel any better.
I have never ever signed on for dole in my entire life but am now finding myself considering this to save my family going without.
What you are doing is commendable and though you may not realise this, it shows that you keeping active for potential emplyers.
Who knows, you may find a suitable diversion in a diverse field, I used to do volunteer stuff when in England and really enjoyed driving handicapped kids in a mini bus for days out.
Ageism is not national it is international and looks like it has always been and will always be that way.

There is a time and a place for grammatical criticism and this is neither, so do one!
As for going to help in Queensland, I have already started enquiries but here qualifications from one state meen nothing in the others and I would probably have to do a course to get a certificate to make sure I was up to their standard, it's bureaucracy gone mad, you spend half your life here with one hand tied behind your back.

Sorry, I didn't meen to be critical.

I know it's a federal country, but I'm really surprised that qualifications aren't recognized nationally. Maybe you should come to the UK for a bit, our building tradesmen can ply their business with no qualifications at all!

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I know it's a federal country, but I'm really surprised that qualifications aren't recognized nationally. Maybe you should come to the UK for a bit, our building tradesmen can ply their business with no qualifications at all!

Read Hitonys' comments, 'there is no work there'.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I know many many trades, bricklayers, carpenters, sparks, plumbers etc etc many of whom are struggling, most are trying to do private work as site work is limited, certainly on new house building.

I was in management within the new housing industry, it has all but collapsed! loads of people have said to me get into social housing, that is on a big down turn and believe it or not (and i have had a few interviews) the social housing side dont really want people from the private sector (management that is) again 3 years + ago, it would not have been a problem.

I also do know of many (to many) people in my situation, all from the same industry, it's not good out there, i've been applying for jobs all over the world, to know avail, theres just to much choice now, 3 years ago I could have gone where i liked!!

Mike i do realise it is a international problem, i was not really thinking when typing, probably cos its the middle of the night here :lolol:

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I took early retirement from my job as an Electrical Engineering lecturer. In my last year of teaching I took a National Pool Lifeguard course and after I retired started working casually as a lifeguard at the local pool. I then took more courses, First Aid at Work, Prelim Swimming teacher and Pool Plant Operator, for which the pool paid. Within 9 months of retirement I was working as duty manager of a leisure centre. Most of the casual lifeguards round here are students so getting casual work during the daytime on weekdays was easy and apart from the rest of the staff calling me "Grandad" there was no problem with age. Could you qualify as a personal fitness trainer and start working in that field in parallel with your current work? Many clients prefer an older trainer to a lycra clad goddess, mind you I'd choose the goddess. Good luck in your search, unfortunately if you change your type of work you'll take a pay cut at first, but I had great fun.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

I never use spell checker unless I am compiling an important document or letter, I do not see answering to remarks on this forum as requiring this as it is not that important and would be time wasted, rather like answering your criticisms.
Have you ever thought that sometimes people type with such speed that they may hit a letter they never intended, I bet you never do that do you.
Spell checking all your comments and replies must take an age!
Oh well, whatever floats yer boat.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I took early retirement from my job as an Electrical Engineering lecturer. In my last year of teaching I took a National Pool Lifeguard course and after I retired started working casually as a lifeguard at the local pool. I then took more courses, First Aid at Work, Prelim Swimming teacher and Pool Plant Operator, for which the pool paid. Within 9 months of retirement I was working as duty manager of a leisure centre. Most of the casual lifeguards round here are students so getting casual work during the daytime on weekdays was easy and apart from the rest of the staff calling me "Grandad" there was no problem with age. Could you qualify as a personal fitness trainer and start working in that field in parallel with your current work? Many clients prefer an older trainer to a lycra clad goddess, mind you I'd choose the goddess. Good luck in your search, unfortunately if you change your type of work you'll take a pay cut at first, but I had great fun.

As a matter of interest, how long ago was that?

I have only worked twice in the lsat 2 years for slightly over the minimum wage, the other work was all at the minimum wage, so a wage cut is not a problem, unfortunatly a new found career as a life guard is not going to happen for me :lolol:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

I have thought about the personal training thing as I have heard this comment over here as well, the 'legends in lycra' tend to put people off.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
As a matter of interest, how long ago was that?

I have only worked twice in the lsat 2 years for slightly over the minimum wage, the other work was all at the minimum wage, so a wage cut is not a problem, unfortunatly a new found career as a life guard is not going to happen for me :lolol:

It was 1994, but there was quite a bit of unemployment around then, but to be fair, we were just coming out of the worst of it.

Actually I was trying to assist you. In Britain, some posts attract so many applicants that employers simply discard those who have not made an effort to check their spelling and grammar. It's a quick way of sifting through the applications to get them down to a manageable level.

Have you ever thought that sometimes people type with such speed that they may hit a letter they never intended, I bet you never do that do you.
Spell checking all your comments and replies must take an age!
Oh well, whatever floats yer boat.

I don't use a spell checker. If I'm unsure which way a word is spelt (or spelled, even) I look it up (in a paper dictionary if to hand) and learn it. I've always done this, which means that over the years (I'm 52) I have to do it less and less often. As for typos, of course I make them; but I do think that saving a few seconds by not bothering to correct them is little selfish if it means all those trying to understand the sentences have to collectively spend several minutes rereading it.

However, I understand the frustration that you are having with excessive red tape and so I wish you well in finding suitable work.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Actually I was trying to assist you. In Britain, some posts attract so many applicants that employers simply discard those who have not made an effort to check their spelling and grammar. It's a quick way of sifting through the applications to get them down to a manageable level.

I admit that you may have a valid point, although I don't think that any prospective employer from Oz would be on this forum,:lolol: the standard spelling and grammer here is dire.
One thing I picked up on as a result of your comment was that I am still spelling all words the english way.
Here it is so americanised that everthing is spelt the US way ie. labor, color, organize etc.
I will go through my CV and change to the US format, it might make a difference.
Feels like another nail in the coffin of englishness and another barricade breached but needs must I suppose.
Your criticisms may be heart felt but it's the demeaning way in which you come across that is offensive.
Maybe you could have just offered it as advice initially rather than seeming to ridicule, for which I forgive you:kiss:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Over the last year I have experienced a large downturn in my business and before I end up, up to my neck in it I thought I would give up being self employed and get a proper job.
I didn't think my age would be a problem as I have loads of experience and lots of qualifications.
After trying much harder than I thought I would have to, I have not even managed to secure an interview in the last 3 months!
I am multi skilled which may be a disadvantage here as they seem to be wary of people who can do more than one thing.
Has anyone here experienced this type of descrimination and if so what did you do to overcome it, any advice or tips would be welcome.

Ello Mike,

May have already been said but get yourself with a good agency. They can be extortionate but they usually work. Jobs may only be temp to start with but as happens where i work many people have been taken on full time.

Also i think the agency will tailor your c.v. to suit any job your going for rather than put absolutely everything you have acheived on there, it can be a threat to some and just plain over qualified to others.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I used some of the tips suggested here, ie. leaving off date of birth etc. and I have 3 job interviews to attend in the next 7 days!
Thanks for the advice, I may not get them but it is a big step forward.:thumbsup:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
As a result of the interviews I have been offered two positions and one is as sub contractor so I can keep my self employed status.
I genuinely put this down to following the tips I got here, as before I was not getting a nibble.
Thanks again for the advice, sounds like Dear Deirdre! and good luck to any others still looking.
Kids were getting fed up with beans on toast 4 times a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here