Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finding work at 50

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
have you got your own workshop mate...???

with all the work going on up north ,things are bound to pick up soon.........

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
its a weird discrimination. assuming you have kept upto date on skills, why would an employer not want an experienced person? i've heard it said that companies fear you will leave too soon to be worth retraining/intergrating into the company, but with people only staying jobs a few years, that doesnt wash.

There are two main reasons, one is that they think they can't match your financial expectations (stupid as the salary is normally advertised so you know what it is when you apply) or else it's because they think the role is beneath you and that you'll get bored.

There's another theory which says that an employer is reluctant to employ somebody who may know more than them although if that does happen I think it's pretty rare. There's also the theory that an older person might not fit in with the rest of the team but that is really a matter for the individual. In ceratin occupations tere is undoubtably and justifiably physical health considerations as well.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Sure its not got more to do with the economic downturn rather than your skillset? Interior fitted furniture sounds like the kind of things people might cut back on in a recession.

Also fitted furniture went out of fashion in the last millenium over here, so it's probably just hitting Oz :wink:.

Maybe look and see what was big news over here 5 years ago - then you can be the first to offer it over there. :wink:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm in my 49th year and just been made redundant twice in 6 months from a Sales & marketing role.
Thinking of changing career, can you do that when approaching 50 ???

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I got made redundant just over 2 years ago, have worked doing bits but I have suffered the same, ageism does exist but even worse for me my experience is in new house building which has all but had it, and it wont come back in my work lifetime, wont deny it im desperate for work :(

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I got made redundant just over 2 years ago, have worked doing bits but I have suffered the same, ageism does exist but even worse for me my experience is in new house building which has all but had it, and it wont come back in my work lifetime, wont deny it im desperate for work :(

My sympathies, if you've spent the bulk of your career in one profession there's no point in applying to be a shelf stacker at Sainsburys or for a similar role or a similar level as you will be told that you'll be likely to leave as soon as a job in your profession turns up, in point of fact a true statement. I have the 'luxury' of being able to work for less and thus stay in work even if it's not too well paid.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
My sympathies, if you've spent the bulk of your career in one profession there's no point in applying to be a shelf stacker at Sainsburys or for a similar role or a similar level as you will be told that you'll be likely to leave as soon as a job in your profession turns up, in point of fact a true statement. I have the 'luxury' of being able to work for less and thus stay in work even if it's not too well paid.

Thanks, your right though, no one wants to know when all your experiences are in one field.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Over the last year I have experienced a large downturn in my business and before I end up, up to my neck in it I thought I would give up being self employed and get a proper job.
I didn't think my age would be a problem as I have loads of experience and lots of qualifications.
After trying much harder than I thought I would have to, I have not even managed to secure an interview in the last 3 months!
I am multi skilled which may be a disadvantage here as they seem to be wary of people who can do more than one thing.
Has anyone here experienced this type of descrimination and if so what did you do to overcome it, any advice or tips would be welcome.

I am in the same position. One third of the people over 50 are unemployed, with two-thirds of these with an insufficient income. I have managed to get two interviews out of 40 applications, and one other reply in 2010.

You are not alone. This is the national figures. The Brighton coastal area (not Gatwick and Crawley) is a deprived zone and the household income in this area is just below the national average. Expect the wages to be lower and figures to be slightly higher.

The real point of being self-employed is that you have to keep going (keep trying to get ahead of the game) and at about age 50 it begins to be hard to compete.

Pet words: de-skilled (when your skills become obsolete or outdated).

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Isn't there a lot of work in the mines in WA - it's good money driving one of those big fuckoff dumper trucks so I'm told.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I am in the same position. One third of the people over 50 are unemployed, with two-thirds of these with an insufficient income. I have managed to get two interviews out of 40 applications, and one other reply in 2010.

You are not alone. This is the national figures. The Brighton coastal area (not Gatwick and Crawley) is a deprived zone and the household income in this area is just below the national average. Expect the wages to be lower and figures to be slightly higher.

The real point of being self-employed is that you have to keep going (keep trying to get ahead of the game) and at about age 50 it begins to be hard to compete.

Pet words: de-skilled (when your skills become obsolete or outdated).

It makes me laugh when politicians go on about getting people back to work, they clearly haven't got a clue.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

That's just ridiculous - who in their right mind takes a job as a shelf stacker as a career choice ? Therefore that type of role will be filled by high turnover type staff such as students. Personally I think it should be illegal to not offer someone a job because they are "over skilled".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I reckon there's a really good market that every poster on here is qualified to do and that may pay quite well: teaching old people basic PC skills. When I was on holiday just before Xmas when all that snow was about, it was quite amazing the number of pensioners out there who had no idea how to send an email to their family, how to see if their flight was delayed, how to check the news from back home (none of the TV channels were in English). Things that we take for granted and do every day. Couldn't do any harm to approach your local senior citizens club or just take out an ad in the local paper. Reckon its still a big untapped market.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That's just ridiculous - who in their right mind takes a job as a shelf stacker as a career choice ? Therefore that type of role will be filled by high turnover type staff such as students. Personally I think it should be illegal to not offer someone a job because they are "over skilled".

You take a job working in a supermarket because it pays the bills every month. There are parts of the country where ageism applies once you're past 40 because jobs are so scarce. Working at BT for nearly 23 years became a negative instead of a positive for potential employers who saw working for just one company showed a lack of ambition even though I had worked my way up to acting manager level (and back down again with job restructuring) during my career.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence".

If you have been self-employed, can you put with all the Guards?

The correct answer is:

Yessir

(Respect your Youngers)

I reckon there's a really good market that every poster on here is qualified to do and that may pay quite well: teaching old people basic PC skills. When I was on holiday just before Xmas when all that snow was about, it was quite amazing the number of pensioners out there who had no idea how to send an email to their family, how to see if their flight was delayed, how to check the news from back home (none of the TV channels were in English). Things that we take for granted and do every day. Couldn't do any harm to approach your local senior citizens club or just take out an ad in the local paper. Reckon its still a big untapped market.

Excellent idea. I think a lot of elderly people are willing and capable of picking up the basic skills, I know of two who have been taught the basics by their grandchildren but I do thing that there is an opportunity there.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
have you got your own workshop mate...???

with all the work going on up north ,things are bound to pick up soon.........

I have a 110 sq m workshop with 3 phase fully kitted out with machinery and a separate office.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Isn't there a lot of work in the mines in WA - it's good money driving one of those big fuckoff dumper trucks so I'm told.

These dumper trucks are the size of a house, you can't just get in one and drive.
You have to do a course to learn how to drive them which costs $3000.00 and this place is sooooo regulated you also need an mine safety certificate which will cost you $150.00, then you have to have completed an intermediate first aid course which costs $180.00
Then you have to do the course for a White card, not sure what that is but it costs $200.00
Mine sites like you to have and HR class licence and this will cost $1200.00 to $2000.00 to get.
So total outlay comes to $5530.00 and then they like you to have 2 to 3 years experience on mine sites and pass a medical, alcohol and drugs test every week.
I have already looked into this, they go on and on about the labour shortages here but to be honest there are plenty of people here to do the work they just can't get through the red tape, you need a licence to sneeze here and health and safety has turn into one of the biggest industries.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
If nothing else it's encoraging to hear I am not the only one, and I am NOT getting any satisfaction out of other peoples misery, in a way it helps to know that it is a national thing and not just something I might be doing wrong.

I am in fact meeting up with someone later on this afternoon to do some voluntary work, totally unpaid but at least trying to put something back into society / the system, I will be helping young kids who have reading difficulties, it will not only get me out a bit but will bring back some self pride.

I am looking forward to it, it wont start for a few weeks as security checks etc have to be done, but something to look forward to, I have also put myself down for driving an ambulance, only picking up the infirm and elderly, taking them to and from home to hospital, and ive registered to spend at least one day in our local homeless office.

Biggest problem is I can't survive forever, we still have a mortgage to pay, so will have to find some work that pays sooner than later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here