Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finding work at 50

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Over the last year I have experienced a large downturn in my business and before I end up, up to my neck in it I thought I would give up being self employed and get a proper job.
I didn't think my age would be a problem as I have loads of experience and lots of qualifications.
After trying much harder than I thought I would have to, I have not even managed to secure an interview in the last 3 months!
I am multi skilled which may be a disadvantage here as they seem to be wary of people who can do more than one thing.
Has anyone here experienced this type of descrimination and if so what did you do to overcome it, any advice or tips would be welcome.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Over the last year I have experienced a large downturn in my business and before I end up, up to my neck in it I thought I would give up being self employed and get a proper job.
I didn't think my age would be a problem as I have loads of experience and lots of qualifications.
After trying much harder than I thought I would have to, I have not even managed to secure an interview in the last 3 months!
I am multi skilled which may be a disadvantage here as they seem to be wary of people who can do more than one thing.
Has anyone here experienced this type of descrimination and if so what did you do to overcome it, any advice or tips would be welcome.

I feel sorry for you. It is bloody discrimination. I don't know what to suggest but to keep trying. I have been lucky enough to be self employed for the last 6 years, but over the last 6 months my money has been cut by half. I can just about manage but it is so tough. I can't stand this bollocks that there are jobs, yes there are jobs but when you been doing a job with good pay, responsibility its very very difficult to accept anything less.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I guess it depends on your sector. I was made redundant in city banking 2 years ago (I'm 48), and the job market was understandably dire at the time. Thought I would have no problem, given 22 years experience, but didn't get a single interview for 8 months. The market the picked up a bit towards the end of '09, and I finally got a job last March, after 14 months out. I spent 4 months in that contract position (on very good money), then that job ended unexpectedly, but as we had a couple of weeks advance warning, I interviewed again, and found it rather easier (the practice of interviews from the previous round helped tremendously), and I started a new permanent role with no break between the two.

I fear as I get a little older, it will get harder if I'm out again.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I guess it depends on your sector. I was made redundant in city banking 2 years ago (I'm 48), and the job market was understandably dire at the time. Thought I would have no problem, given 22 years experience, but didn't get a single interview for 8 months. The market the picked up a bit towards the end of '09, and I finally got a job last March, after 14 months out. I spent 4 months in that contract position (on very good money), then that job ended unexpectedly, but as we had a couple of weeks advance warning, I interviewed again, and found it rather easier (the practice of interviews from the previous round helped tremendously), and I started a new permanent role with no break between the two.

I fear as I get a little older, it will get harder if I'm out again.

Being 47 I dread redundancy if it happens............

Good pay off but don't fancy my chances of getting back into the same type of work.

Just hope it never happens

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Over here, unless you retired early from a proper career, Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant etc. Apart from B&Q and some other minimum wage jobs, unless you work for yourself nobody else will employ you!
Mind you I did stop working for the man in my early 30's, and at 50 became a house husband, so when I did try to get a proper job I found employers were not interested. :lolol:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Being 47 I dread redundancy if it happens............

Good pay off but don't fancy my chances of getting back into the same type of work.

Just hope it never happens

After 14 years in the old job, I got some money - although they paid no more than the absolute minimum they had to. If it was just the redundancy, it woud have been difficult, but for fortunately I was on 3 months notice, and that made a huge difference to the pay-out I got. Given the experience, I am paying as much off my mortgage as possible (I have no other debts), so that if something similar happens again, my monthly outgoings should be considerably less.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Without a doubt total discrimination at age 50.Sorry to say mate.Obviously nobody wants to admit it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As I am well into my 50s I can relate to this. Whilst we now have some legislation against ageism it's utterly pointless as it's too easy to beat. Whilst you can't be told that you're 'too old' you most certainly can be told that you're 'too experienced. I have had that countless times and in fact quite often work with people who weren't even born when I started in my profession.

Depending on what you do however some organisations are not ageist. I have found that councils, the civil service and the NHS tend to go by merit and many of their departments welcome experience. I work in IT and thanks to extensive NHS work I tend to stay in modestly paid work. Currently I am working at and NHS trust who didn't even interview me as my CV covered it. I admit it's not exactly lucrative but it's a hell of a lot better than signing on. I might add that I am not the oldest person here and most of my NHS work this has been the case.

It does rather depend on what you do however.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
One tip given to me ( and I'm not in the 50 bracket ...... yet ! ) is never put your date of birth on your CV. Also remove education dates. By the time you've built a career your education is much less important. Obviously it doesn't stop the ageism at the interview stage but at least getting to that stage helps your chances.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
being in perth he stands a distinct possibility of having a better basic knowledge, in any given area , than a perspective employer which should be in his favour but unfortunately isn't. they are a pretty backward bunch i'm afraid.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Do you have anti age discrimination laws in Oz Mike? If so, remove your age/DOB from your CV, along with the dates (tho not the places) you did your education. Also, lop everything off your CV relating to jobs you did more than ten years ago. Prospective employers will only be interested in what you've been doing recently. If you do all of the above it should stop them judging you before interview stage. After that its down to you.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
One tip given to me ( and I'm not in the 50 bracket ...... yet ! ) is never put your date of birth on your CV. Also remove education dates. By the time you've built a career your education is much less important. Obviously it doesn't stop the ageism at the interview stage but at least getting to that stage helps your chances.

From my experience, it makes no difference. Your approximate age can be worked out from the dates you held our previous positions etc., and whenever an agent calls, if you've not added that info, it's the first thing they ask for (I don't have a degree, so I always get asked why I have not put it on my CV).

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I computer design, make, sell and install interior fitted furniture, I have degree level qualifications in engineering but have been out of it for too long now.
I am far from being stupid and still keep abreast of current trends etc.
Thanks for the tips especially the one about leaving off the date of birth,
I am aging quite well, I train regularly, cycle, eat well etc. and most people think I am early to mid forties.
I have a mate who at 40 has just changed his job for a much better paid one and due respect to him but he is very over weight, his hips swivel from the sides when he walks, like a lizard and he gets puffed out going from his seat to the bar.
I can still run half marathons, I just don't get it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I computer design, make, sell and install interior fitted furniture, I have degree level qualifications in engineering but have been out of it for too long now.
I am aging quite well, I train regularly, cycle, eat well etc. and most people think I am early to mid forties.
I have a mate who at 40 has just changed his job for a much better paid one and due respect to him but he is very over weight, his hips swivel from the sides when he walks, like a lizard and he gets puffed out going from his seat to the bar.

Shame you're so far away. Could do with some new furniture soon.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Can you get any advice on promoting the business, rather than dumping it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its a weird discrimination. assuming you have kept upto date on skills, why would an employer not want an experienced person? i've heard it said that companies fear you will leave too soon to be worth retraining/intergrating into the company, but with people only staying jobs a few years, that doesnt wash.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Sure its not got more to do with the economic downturn rather than your skillset? Interior fitted furniture sounds like the kind of things people might cut back on in a recession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here