Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finding it hard justify going any more

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
You gotta persevere.

My lad's first game was 4 years ago, and we had to leave at half time because he couldn't even hold his hot dog because of the cold.

I thought there was no way he'd ever want to go back, but he loves 'em and has never said no to going, whatever the weather, or position.

Chop his legs in half, and you'll find blue & white stripes.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
If it wasnt for Falmer coming up on the horizon, many people would have given up on the club months, if not years, ago.

This afternoon was truly dire, the football and the overall experience is appalling.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If there's still anyone who thinks we'll get enough fans into Falmer they should read this thread.

It's got to the stage where it's probably in the club's interest for dad's NOT to bring their kids to Withdean for their first match.

I'm just thankful Falmer will be ready before my 3 year-old is.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I see its not the team that has got us into this desperate situation for the second season running its the pitch,oh well nothing to worry about then,roll on Falmer.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
What little kid likes sitting in the rain anyway though? It's best to get them addicted in sunny weather, then they won't mind as much when it rains......

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe the moral of the story is to take little kids for their first game to a nice pre-season at Worthing where the sun is shining, there's not a fifty metre queue for a bag of chips and they can run around in a free range stylee.

Wouldn't wish The Withdean Experience on anyone who didn't have a say in the matter.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I see its not the team that has got us into this desperate situation for the second season running its the pitch,oh well nothing to worry about then,roll on Falmer.

Who mentioned the pitch?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't understand this kind of thread. Football is a sport, as a fan you're going to see good performances, bad performances and indifferent ones aswell. That's reality, and if you take a son/daughter to their first match telling them it's going to be amazing.. that's your own mistake in my opinion. Obviously you'd like a good match in your first game, but you can't always have it. If you want your son/daughter to be interested in going, you can't give up after one game.

My stepdad didn't give up when my first game was a 3-1 bashing by EXETER at the Priestfield. On the coach (well, probably it was a bus!) home I was given food and the match programme to read, and told, "that happens".

It's not JUST about winning. :thumbsup:

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Having sat there in the rain today I actually said to my son as we left that I preferred going to Gillingham. True!

I have felt exactly the same for last few years. I preferred going to Gillingham than sitting in silence in this dump - today has just highlighted the fact even more. I hate Withdean and everything about it.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I don't understand this kind of thread. Football is a sport, as a fan you're going to see good performances, bad performances and indifferent ones aswell. That's reality, and if you take a son/daughter to their first match telling them it's going to be amazing.. that's your own mistake in my opinion. Obviously you'd like a good match in your first game, but you can't always have it. If you want your son/daughter to be interested in going, you can't give up after one game.

My stepdad didn't give up when my first game was a 3-1 bashing by EXETER at the Priestfield. On the coach (well, probably it was a bus!) home I was given food and the match programme to read, and told, "that happens".

Exactly. I can't imagine why any supporter would "give up" on a club. I grew up in Brighton so I will never support any other club. I hate to see us lose but losing is never gonna stop me from going. The only times I ever stopped going was when I coudn't afford it or when I was living overseas, and even then I would wake up at stupid o'clock to listen to the game online or follow the written commentary. If you only support a club to see them win then you might as well just support the premiership league leaders, whoever they might be that week. Football clubs need support, both financial and moral, in order to get anywhere.

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
Took my six year old son to his first ever match today and I am embarrassed for him. I ran out of reasons why we should be sitting freazing in the rain watching a poor excuse for what I came to love so much about the Albion.

My son is bored, wet and cold and so am I. Today was a day I always dreamt of when I became a father. Another gutless performance has left me with no incentive to go back and has sucked away all interest my son had in football. Thanks lads.

Never fear Oscar, I had 6 of these games before my 3 and 6 year old actually became interested............there will be sunnier days ahead when half time ice creams can be purchased...........hopefully this season! I opted not to take kids today, no amount if sweets would have compensated that rain and shower of shite!

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009
Took my six year old son to his first ever match today and I am embarrassed for him. I ran out of reasons why we should be sitting freazing in the rain watching a poor excuse for what I came to love so much about the Albion.

My son is bored, wet and cold and so am I. Today was a day I always dreamt of when I became a father. Another gutless performance has left me with no incentive to go back and has sucked away all interest my son had in football. Thanks lads.

please dont go back then. go and watch chelsea instead

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton

:thumbsup:

I've only been going to games for three years, and a season ticket holder for two, but this year (or last) hasn't put me off supporting the Albion :clap2:

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire

My son is 4, want to take him sometime soon, but not why we are playing so shite at the mo

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My son is now back home playing his DS. He hated the match despite being all up for it for the first 20 mins. I felt so proud at him shouting Seagulls and waving at the players. By half time he was begging to leave. I could cry at how I have just ruined his enthusiasm for the Albion.

As he sits there playing Mario you realise kids have so many more ways to have fun than sitting in the rain watching players more interested in cash than fan adulation and club pride.
Given that the first half was very entertaining, I don't really see how your argument stands up.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Given that the first half was very entertaining, I don't really see how your argument stands up.

My support will never waver. I am Brighton born and bred and been going to matches for twenty years. Now I have a family though it's hard to justify the cost and what you get for your money - not just today but for the past two seasons. I won't take my son to withdean again and I won't be supporting Chelsea as the idiot above suggested.

When someone suggests the first half today was entertaining it sums it all up on just how crap we are at home.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

Really really feel for you, Oscar, and I do believe the players should be made to read this thread! My son is only two, but I've been dreaming about the day I take him to his first game ever since my wife fell pregnant. It must be a pretty gutting feeling.

But, there may be positives... My first football match, aged five, was in 1978, division four, Reading v Bournemouth at Elm Park. And it was a terrible terrible 0-0 draw. I was bored shitless, though thankfully didn't get a soaking. Put me off football for life.

Fast forward three years to my next game, and it was a revelation. Brighton 3-3 Liverpool in division one, a spirited Albion fightback from 3-1 down. A lot can happen in a couple of years, so pass this one off as an unfortunate afternoon. Hopefully, when he next goes, AT FALMER, it'll be amazing :clap2:

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
Well I go because Brighton & Hove Albion are my team, my tribe if you take a sociological approach, part of my LIFE. Sitting through the shit times makes the better times even more worthwhile too. And what else would I do on a Saturday afternoon? Shop?

THANK YOU! Great post!

Yup, it was shite today BUT it was our shite, I support the Albion through thick and thin.

If you and your whinging child/wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend or whatever don't like it,
then go to Chelski or whoever, no one said supporting your local team is easy BUT it's local.

When you see some of the posts here, I almost want us to play crap. When Falmer is open, at
least the people there will be supporters and not glory hunters!

Brighton & Hove Albion, like a dog, is for life, not just for boxing day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I support us through thick and thin however the issue is the flat, moribound atmosphere at Withdean.

I think having a season ticket helps as it forces me to go but otherwise I would have second thoughts.

However and a very big however as well, Falmer is being built and times are a changing and I just can't wait.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here