Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial restrictions at the Albion hampering the playing budget?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But the train and bus company must charge a set amount per game

Why? Shouldn't they charge in proportion to the people they ferry around? Buses can track the number of peole with football tickets easily, just press a button (much like they used to do and may still do when someone gets on with a saver ticket, they can keep accurate numbers of football fans that get on. I imagine trains are just as easy if you give the guards one of those counters to count the fans going through with football vouchers, or thenumber of tickets exchanged for vouchers at the ticket counter.

A per person fee works for both the club and the travel companies as the club doesn't pay for people who don't use it, and the travel companies aren't ferrying more fans than they were paid to.

The flaw in that plan is the fans that figured if the drivers accepted a flash of the season ticket, that makes it ok for them to not pay for travel vouchers, thus fans were adding to the volume of bus passengers that the bus company charged the club for, without relieving the club of the full burden by buying their travel voucher.

Why? Shouldn't they charge in proportion to the people they ferry around? Buses can track the number of peole with football tickets easily, just press a button (much like they used to do and may still do when someone gets on with a saver ticket, they can keep accurate numbers of football fans that get on. I imagine trains are just as easy if you give the guards one of those counters to count the fans going through with football vouchers, or thenumber of tickets exchanged for vouchers at the ticket counter.

A per person fee works for both the club and the travel companies as the club doesn't pay for people who don't use it, and the travel companies aren't ferrying more fans than they were paid to.

The flaw in that plan is the fans that figured if the drivers accepted a flash of the season ticket, that makes it ok for them to not pay for travel vouchers, thus fans were adding to the volume of bus passengers that the bus company charged the club for, without relieving the club of the full burden by buying their travel voucher.
A transport company wants its costs covered. If a bus commissioned by the football club runs empty, it still costs as much to run as a bus that is full. And the bus company will want paying.

With the level of demand for transport to and from the Amex, it's a seller's market. I'm sure that the transport company's charges aren't based on actual numbers of people carried. From the operator's point of view, that's just too risky. They will want the Club to carry the risks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A transport company wants its costs covered. If a bus commissioned by the football club runs empty, it still costs as much to run as a bus that is full. And the bus company will want paying.

With the level of demand for transport to and from the Amex, it's a seller's market. I'm sure that the transport company's charges aren't based on actual numbers of people carried. From the operator's point of view, that's just too risky. They will want the Club to carry the risks.

I was thinking more about the likes of the 23 or 25 that run the route anyway, matchday or not.

I'd assume the the park and rides that are going to run regardless would be a per bus rate.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
At every home game last season, there was a little man at Falmer Station who looked like a roadie for The Wurzels, clicking his little clicker everytime anyone walked onto the platform.

It would be interesting to compare these numbers with the number of tickets bought

I was thinking more about the likes of the 23 or 25 that run the route anyway, matchday or not.

I'd assume the the park and rides that are going to run regardless would be a per bus rate.
... and a fairly expensive rate, if it's necessary (as it has been, on occasions) to import vehicles and staff from far afield (London and Crawley, for example) to ensure that there are enough P&R buses available.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
At every home game last season, there was a little man at Falmer Station who looked like a roadie for The Wurzels, clicking his little clicker everytime anyone walked onto the platform.

He's currently in A&E at The Royal Sussex with a severe case of RSI. He'd only gone there to watch trains and ended up watching people instead. What should have been a 'twelve click day' turned into a 14,321 click day.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But is basing the entire post on hearsay with no sound foundation. It is pure conjecture and mischief and certainly not the reason we have made no signings, which will certainly start to arrive shortly. Above all else TB will know there is a balance between customer numbers and the quality of product.
To suggest it is the reason we didnt get Mattock is even worse. I heard Poyet was far from impressed with hia attitude.

I openly stated that there was conjecture in the OP.

As for the entire post being hearsay, I have downloaded the accounts and they certainly reveal we lost £7 million in 2010/11.

Having done some further analysis I do admit to underestimating revenue, which I now think is in the £22-25 million range.

The extrapolation to Mattock is that I suspect the Albion are not being held to ransom over wage demands, and that any increase in the playing budget may have been restricted due to cost overruns.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
I openly stated that there was conjecture in the OP.

As for the entire post being hearsay, I have downloaded the accounts and they certainly reveal we lost £7 million in 2010/11.

Having done some further analysis I do admit to underestimating revenue, which I now think is in the £22-25 million range.

The extrapolation to Mattock is that I suspect the Albion are not being held to ransom over wage demands, and that any increase in the playing budget may have been restricted due to cost overruns.

If we are losing that much money. We shouldn't have spend 90 mil+ on a stadium. Sorry but that's how I feel about the situation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

IF Mattock's decision to sign for SW over us was PURELY financial, then all that tells us, is that we had a view on how much he was worth, and another club felt he was worth more. It tells you nothing else.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm all for working on a tight budget, but if we are, why was Navarro not retained? You knew where you stood with him, and he wouldn't demand the earth.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
IF Mattock's decision to sign for SW over us was PURELY financial, then all that tells us, is that we had a view on how much he was worth, and another club felt he was worth more. It tells you nothing else.

Not quite. It could tell us that we could not afford him, or alternatively that we did not think he was worth what his agent was trying for, which are not one and the same.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm all for working on a tight budget, but if we are, why was Navarro not retained? You knew where you stood with him, and he wouldn't demand the earth.

Perhaps Gus has a target for CM, and would rather give up Navarro's £2k a week to fund a bid for a better player and give him £5k a week.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The bad finish to the season would not have helped. If we had maintained a top six place, an extra million would have been raised just from gate recipts, tv money and extra revenue from one more game at the Amex. The bad end to the season could have been more costly than people think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here