Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial restrictions at the Albion hampering the playing budget?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Could this article on Vital Football be linked to this matter?

Inigo Calderon is reportedly attracting interest from Championship sides Bristol City, Leeds and Huddersfield.

The Spanish right-back has impressed for Gus Poyet's Brighton since his move from Alaves in 2009.

Calderon starred as Brighton were promoted from League One last season and maintained his form as Brighton finished their Championship season comfortably above the relegation zone.

The 30-year-olds consistent form has gained the Spaniard a lot of admirers with Huddersfield joining Bristol City & Leeds in the chase for the signature of Calderon.

Gus Poyet would be reluctant to let Calderon leave, but he probably couldn't match the wages that any of the 3 admirers could offer.

As with all stories at this time of year it could all just be paper talk, and with Peltier linked to Town also, don't expect this one to go any further than next weeks Fish & Chip wrapping paper.

Read more: Huddersfield Town - Brighton defender Inigo Calderon linked to Town
If we can't compete with bristol city and huddersfield then surely we're heading for a relegation battle?these comments are weird and no way will we be anywhere near the playoffs. :)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The number of buses provided at the start of the season were insuffient,the service improved when additional buses came on the scene some of which came from a wide area,this could well be at least part of the reason for the high cost of transport

Seems a perfectly logical statement but in isolation I park at Mithras and amazed that there's always 4 buses parked up and the 3 (yes 3) stewards won't let bus number 1 go until it's full plus there's always 3 buses parked on the Brighton side onto which nobody ever gets on. Seems like the club may be paying for far more than it needs. But at end of game I guess all are needed but assume they pay by the hour or such like

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Am I missing something there seems to be an over reaction. After the past 20 odd years of having bugger all to spend on paper clips let alone decent players I suspect people did go a bit overboard on purchases and various costs this season. TB as all money men will always think we spend too much on the operational side but I am sure that there will be savings to be made and some of the costs must have been 1 offs relating to the move. So I am sure the costs will come down this season without having to slash the playing budget.
If you are really worried buy more pies, beer and shirts.

The number of buses provided at the start of the season were insuffient,the service improved when additional buses came on the scene some of which came from a wide area,this could well be at least part of the reason for the high cost of transport,the use of vouchers would have been satisfactory if proper arrangements had been made to check them, another loss of revenue was 1901 members travelling free.
The club have gone to the other extreme now by charging seniors who are entitled to Free bus travel.
Seniors AREN'T entitled to free travel on park & ride buses, football special buses, supporters' coaches, or trains.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Am i reading this correctly that X amount of people bought travel vouchers, Y traveled on the trains / buses and the club covered the difference in cost (reimbursing Southern, B&H Bus Coy for example)?

Secondly El Pres' original post and then Silverhatch's opposing view, both from sources close to the club, appears to represent different aspects of Club business. For example El Pres' source might work in travel or stadium maintenance while Silver's may work in customer delivery. Thus both could be true in the whole.

I am probably off the mark, not speaking from a place of knowledge and am happy to be proved wrong.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
This really is a double edge sword. The club must invest and get to the promise land if Mr Bloom ever wants to see a return on his money, or a part return. If we level out as a championship side then season ticket sales will level out at around 15k with it(or less). We are riding the crest of a wave at the moment, but it won't last forever. If we turn in performances week in week out like we did the last quarter of last season. So the solution is, you either give Poyet the funds he wants, to get the players he wants, which i'm guessing is a lot. Or you let the Poyet era run it's course, as it surely will without the funds he craves and then get a manager who is proven with limited funds, i.e a Coppell or a Holloway...Either way, something will have to give at some stage, Poyet's track record with spending Bloom's funds and getting value for money is not great. He has picked up some good players but nothing what you would call a great bit of business. With the exception of Bridcutt, but I was more relating to players that have been bought for hard cash.

Barnes? 60k for our top scorer in the Champ + 2nd top scorer in Lge 1
Greer? 250k for the player of the season in the Champ...
Buckley? 1m for a player who scored so many late vital goals...
Noone? 250k for a player who we have turned down 1.5m for?
Lua Lua? 1m ish - worth every penny

So the only other "money signings" are Harley (OK, didnt hit it off), Vincelot (Does a good job when called upon), Hoskins (Never really had a chance after injury), and of course CMS which I suspect is the main reason why anyone would say that his track record with money signings is bad... remember he has a 4 yr contract of which he is only 1 yr into, time to come good yet...

Am i reading this correctly that X amount of people bought travel vouchers, Y traveled on the trains / buses and the club covered the difference in cost (reimbursing Southern, B&H Bus Coy for example)?
I'm fairly certain (very certain, in fact) that if everyone who travelled on a bus or train HAD bought a travel voucher last season, the Club would still have been out of pocket.

D

Deleted member 22389

You know what if we can't match what other clubs are paying for players then so be it. It just shows how things have got out of control with players wages. I would rather have a club to support, then be reading in the paper and through the internet that the club is in financial ruin.

What I would like to know is how these other clubs are doing it. They either have a serious amount of money or they are just stacking up more and more debt as each season goes by.

What will it take for the bubble to burst.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can I ask a daft question. Why is it that we have to pay train companies in advance so that they get a payment regardless of how many use the trains? I know that the trains are crowded and it would take an age to collect tickets but the trains to and from London during the week are crowded too and you don't see station staff stand idly by while passengers walk off. Was it actually part of the planning conditions for the stadium that the club had to pay a lump sum for transport? I've been to loads of away grounds and I've never seen any other club do this.

Sorry if this has been asked before - I've not seen it and it's a bit of a puzzler.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I'm fairly certain (very certain, in fact) that if everyone who travelled on a bus or train HAD bought a travel voucher last season, the Club would still have been out of pocket.

OK, you might have to bear with me here, the travel plan is a supermarket style 'loss leader' (for want of a better term) and that this cost was always planned for in the budget, however, there was a difference between those that bought a travel book and those that actually traveled and that the budgeted cost and subsequent additional costs equaled '7 figures'? Therefore the travel firms would have had to invoice BHAFC for the total or difference in travelers. Is this all correct? If so would the BHAFC income show on the travel firms accounts in April?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Withdean years bled us dry totally and it will take quite a while to recover, face facts that life in Championship will go on for quite a while - am I bovvered, not at all

OK, you might have to bear with me here, the travel plan is a supermarket style 'loss leader' (for want of a better term) and that this cost was always planned for in the budget, however, there was a difference between those that bought a travel book and those that actually traveled and that the budgeted cost and subsequent additional costs equaled '7 figures'? Therefore the travel firms would have had to invoice BHAFC for the total or difference in travelers. Is this all correct? If so would the BHAFC income show on the travel firms accounts in April?
We don't know whether the quoted '7 figure' cost is the gross cost of all of the transport spending, or the net cost, after income from travel voucher sales (which, I guess, didn't actually amount to as much as the Club was hoping for) and car park charges. The spending will also include the fees paid for car park use and, I guess, all of the stewards employed to supervise travel and car/coach parking.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Barnes? 60k for our top scorer in the Champ + 2nd top scorer in Lge 1
Greer? 250k for the player of the season in the Champ...
Buckley? 1m for a player who scored so many late vital goals...
Noone? 250k for a player who we have turned down 1.5m for?
Lua Lua? 1m ish - worth every penny

So the only other "money signings" are Harley (OK, didnt hit it off), Vincelot (Does a good job when called upon), Hoskins (Never really had a chance after injury), and of course CMS which I suspect is the main reason why anyone would say that his track record with money signings is bad... remember he has a 4 yr contract of which he is only 1 yr into, time to come good yet...

Wasting your time mate. Some people have decided that Gus apparently can't be trusted with money despite the fact that everything you've said is correct. Harley is the only one who could be considered 'a failure', and there's still time even for him to turn things around. Hoskins hasn't had a chance what with injury and and CMS is the latest poster boy for unfair criticism - but every other player you mention has done a decent job or even better. I'd go so far as to say the only truly unsuccessful signings of Poyet's reign were Baz/Battipiedi - and they were free transfers on (comparatively) miniscule wages. I'd say Poyet is pretty good with the cash he's given.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I've no doubt the club is losing a fortune each week, it costs a fortune to operate the Amex let alone pay players wages. I've been saying for ages that just because we sell a load of pies and beer it doesn't mean we made money let alone a mint!

You don't even need to look at the accounts, do some basic maths on the crowd size and average spend and compare that with players wages. The club need the amex used all the time for events and parties to make money. I was told they were looking for ways to use every inch of hospitality 365 days a year

simballs

Jun 11, 2012
Southwick
Firstly the fact that we can openly debate this sort of thing is great, no doubt about it. But we have to be completely honest and remember that not all on what we see on a set of accounts can be explained by as easily as what has been posted previously.

Management accounts are what we would love to see and that would break down each item month by month at least, tell us what they budgeted for and give us much better insight as to the current state of the clubs finances.

The Accounts are technically out of date when they are posted and the Balance Sheet can only show at a point in time a snapshot. The Cash flow statement is probably the most useful thing and again that is for the year ended June 30th 2011. This cant tell us what the first season at the Amex was like financially as it doesn't include the whole season. Thus we cant tell from this what the clubs true finances are.

Some but not all of the season ticket income will be included and none of the full seasons match day income will be on there. Neither will the expenditure for that season. For that reason alone it is really hard, not impossible, but really hard to work out that this years budget will be better or worse based on the figures from either Ltd companies or the Holding companies accounts.

The things that stand out from the accounts are that TB has now put in £94.4million, interest free and not repayable until after 1 year. We need to thank the stars that he has come in and done what he has.
Also that our liabilities falling due within 1 year went down by over £2million. After 1 year they went up by a similar amount once TB's loan is taken out of the equation but given the increased cash flows expected this would be manageable and also expected.

There will be added staff costs from wages and salaries (we wont know in what proportion to players and others from the accounts) incurred from running the stadium and it is almost certain the club will have made a loss again next year but i expect a smaller one. It would seem inconceivable that the club would grossly underestimate the cost of travel given that the club seems to be well run. But thats maybe whats happened and cost one man his job. Who knows?

I have to look at accounts all day and i have to say they are not bad. Would love to see the management accounts but that will never happen. Loads of positives.

Keep the faith!

We don't know whether the quoted '7 figure' cost is the gross cost of all of the transport spending, or the net cost, after income from travel voucher sales (which, I guess, didn't actually amount to as much as the Club was hoping for) and car park charges. The spending will also include the fees paid for car park use and, I guess, all of the stewards employed to supervise travel and car/coach parking.

The costs associated with the implementation and running of two CPZs in Coldean and Moulsecoomb will probably be included in this season's "transport management" budget; I think the combined figure came to around £140k when discussed at the Planning Committee that approved the stadium expansion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here