Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Films you once thought were great but now find meh

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Most 80's horror, like Nightmare on Elm Street are crap now. Anything aimed a teens is probably going to be weak when you are late 30's to 40's. Top Gun - absolute turd....
Lost Boys disappointed recently when I watched it with the Kids. Certain films though I still like and so do the kids... Crossroads is a good story and many of the Clint Eastwood films are still great.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It seems a lot of 80s movies come under the most dated category
I agree with most of the above posts films like
Porkies , lemon Popsicle , the Wanderers , breakfast club, pretty in pink all cool movies in the 80s when you were a teenager of that time but now watched in your 40s don't really tick any boxes nowadays

Having said all that though , I've just thought I still think Ferris Buellers day Off, is the dogs

Currently rediscovering loads of 80s movies with my son... Teen Wolf.. pure gold, even for today's kids! Original Karate Kid... he loves it (and I'll always love anything with Elizabeth Shue in!).
Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink will come out as soon as he starts his "teenage angst" phase!

btw The wanderers was only ever ok, The Warriors was better!

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
In 1992 i thought Boyz in the Hood was amazing. Showed it to friends recently and was embarrassed!

There was a spoof of that called, dont be a menace to society while drinking gin and juice in the hood. I found it hilarious but not sure what I would make of it now

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
I watched superman 2 yesterday telling my kids how great it was, I got bored very quickly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Breakfast Club.

Great when I was a kid. Now, self indulgent wank looking to excuse piss poor behaviour. And there's no shagging in it. :angry:
You're writing that and seem surprised?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I watched Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves dozens of times as a teenager. I thought it was great.

Now I watch it and feel embarrassed for Kevin Costner and his crap acting skills. Alan Rickman wasn't bad for comedy value, but Costner really bites.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The original Planet Of The Apes. A classic ending but the rest of the film has not aged well.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I used to worship Point Break, tried to watch to again the other night and just couldn't get into it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wild at Heart.

Am I allowed to criticise David Lynch? Thought it was really cool when I was growing up - now just comes across as self indulgent

Yeah, I liked that film but he is painfuly self indulgent. Lost Highway is still good and Twin Peaks but the rest, dross.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I went out and bought the box set over Xmas the first one is watchable
The rest are absolute pants now , so that's on my pile of dvds already to take to a car boot sale in the spring

I just got bored with it. Once the astronauts had crashed that was about it. Even that famous ending did not have the impact I recalled.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Monty Python's Meaning of life. Watched it again recently. Absolute turd.

Still love the Life of Brian though.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Monty Python's Meaning of life. Watched it again recently. Absolute turd.

Still love the Life of Brian though.

Never enjoyed any Monty Python for some reason, not even Life of Brien. I think i may be the only person on earth that cannot abide Back To The Future.

Wild at Heart.

Am I allowed to criticise David Lynch? Thought it was really cool when I was growing up - now just comes across as self indulgent
That was my favourite EVER film...haven't seen it for 10 years tho.Will have to look again and see how I feel.showed my kids E.T the other week and it was so slow,they whinged and complained for 30 mins before I gave up and turned it off

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Animal House-

Loved it as a teenager. Now as a middle aged man its not so good.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Used to think Apocolypse Now was a masterpiece. It's okay but it's a bit of a mess really.

I used tp love Last of The Mohicans, shall watch again soon and see if it holds. I think it will I remember it being superb

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here