Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films you LOVE everyone else seems to hate

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Another in my top 10. Beautiful, funny, thoughtful film. Amazing how people have such different tastes although I can see why people would take against this one.

Had just returned from a long work trip to China when it came out and had done basically the opposite of Bill Murray's character and had bothered to learn some phrases and went out and engaged with people. The film just annoyed me. Everyone else is like yourself and loves it or so it seems.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I heart huckabees- though I've not seen it for years

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
The last samurai for me . Everyone seems to hate it as it has Tom Cruise in it . I absolutely love the film, makes me cry every time haha. Think Tom Cruise is good in it too

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
A film I hate everyone seems to love is Lost in Translation. Just annoyed me. Great film if you like looking at Bill Murray's face.

Ooh, this is a good one. I can understand how you can hate the film - nothing seems to happen and they appear to be trying their best to be unhappy. I love the film, although I can't watch it too often because of the nothing happening. It does however absolutely nail a certain feeling of alienation, dislocation and detachment from everything around you that can happen when you are living away from home and anchor-less in the world.

And it's absolutely beautifully shot, a real love letter to the cityscape of Tokyo. As someone who lives in Tokyo I can't help but love the beauty of the cinematography as it shows the city to the world the same way I see it.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A lot of my favourite films growing up were flops, so presumably few liked them.

Biggles
Young Sherlock Holmes
Explorers (although I can see why the weird third act put people off)

Labyrinth was another flop, although that seems to have found an audience now.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The beach

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A film I hate everyone seems to love is Lost in Translation. Just annoyed me. Great film if you like looking at Bill Murray's face.

Had just returned from a long work trip to China when it came out and had done basically the opposite of Bill Murray's character and had bothered to learn some phrases and went out and engaged with people. The film just annoyed me. Everyone else is like yourself and loves it or so it seems.

Sorry but it's probably in my all time top ten - maybe even top five.

I lived in Tokyo for eight months and before I went there the company that I worked for insisted we took basic culture and language lessons. They really didn't help at all. Tokyo is an assault on every sense you possess at the same time and that's captured brilliantly in the film. We worked with translators who were exactly the same as Murray's. That bit in the lift where he's a foot taller than everyone? Happened every day.

But that's not why it's good. It's poignant, reflective and beautiful. And, if you're staring at Murray and not Scarlett Johansson you're watching it wrongly.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
A lot of my favourite films growing up were flops, so presumably few liked them.

Biggles
Young Sherlock Holmes
Explorers (although I can see why the weird third act put people off)

Labyrinth was another flop, although that seems to have found an audience now.

I watched Young Sherlock Holmes for the first time in 20 years and I had forgotten how brilliant it is. I don't much like the Harry Potter films but they are clearly inspired by that

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Argo and Birdman I hated but others liked.
I know I’ve reversed it but they were both utter shite.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not really a film buff but I do have a fondness for a few sequels over the original that would cause consternation. For example, I prefer Caddyshack 2 over Caddyshack as Rodney Dangerfield does my head in. I also prefer Airplane 2 over the original. Men In Black 2 and Die Hard 2 as well.

Probably just as well I'm not really into films with that selection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here