Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Films that stunned you

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Wolf Creek, The Wicker Man, Don't look Now, all films where you are stunned when they don't have a happy ending and a main character dies.

Cabaret, as the rise of the Nazi's moves from sub to main plot.

Oh!! What A Lovely War, the final scene, filmed at Sheepcote.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Good call on Wicker Man and whoever said Blade Runner and Downfall.

If anyone ever gets to see it look out for Plague Dogs a British animated film from those who made Watership Down, relentlessly grim and utterly emotional, you know very early on the two escaped dogs aren't going to make it but keep watching it in the vague hope they might. Strangely enough the book from which it was adapted had a super happy hollywood style ending which the film makers sensibly ditched in order to ensure there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

On a different note remember walking home in the dark after seeing Blue Velvet for the first time, not recommended.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I watched about 5 minutes of one of those Faces of Death films once. Felt very sick afterwards. I really don't get the fascination of watching people die. Truly shocking.

Bloke I know used to collect all those snuff-type movies. I'd swear it turned him on.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Tokyo Story. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Agreed. Will put Spirit of the Beehive (you did mean that?) and Talk To Her on my DVD rental list too.

I'm not very good on scary or violent films or emotional rollercoasters so not sure that I'd manage La Haine.

I'd say that the films that stayed with me for a good few days after viewing are

Then...Jaws

More recently...Pan's Labyrinth

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I thought Dead Man's shoes was excellent. When paddy Considine is confronting the ringleader of the gang and is calm as f***. Telling him to "get in your car and f*** off" was a genius scene and not trying to be all Nick Love hardcase, just a bloke that has upmost confidence in his ability to front a situation.

I actually think that scene was pitched totally wrong. If any thing it seemed to be the other way round.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
First time I saw Saving Private Ryan, I litterally came out of the cinema shell shocked. Absolutely awesome impact.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Watership Down...................

ok I cried but I bet I wasn`t the only one. Cmon hands up.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The CND film 'The War Game', seen in a town hall in early 80s and absolutely scared the shit out of me as a teenager. I suspect now this film would seem very dated and obviously some world events have now rendered it's predictions incorrect, but of its time it was devastating. 'Threads' was probably more visually stunning and shocking.

My friends teased me and said it was about fairies and stuff, and it was just horrible!!!

The translations were well out aswell!

it was about fairies and "stuff" the stuff just happened to include a barbaric major who loved torturing rojos (reds).

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
First time I saw Saving Private Ryan, I litterally came out of the cinema shell shocked. Absolutely awesome impact.

Haven't been posting long have you , be careful your not allowed to give Spielberg any praise on NSC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here