Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Films that stunned you

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Definitely "Once were warriors"

In just one scene halfway through I went from really liking Jake the Muscle to absolutely despising the ****. Powerful stuff and a very sad ending.

"Baise Moi" was very powerful too.

Blade Runner should get a mention.

Also "In which we serve". Noel Coward and Sir John Mills are absoultely brilliant. Great stirring stuff.

Good choices apart from Baise Moi...absolutely hated it!

On a similar note to Once Were Warriors, Nil By Mouth is so menacing and powerful. The threat of danger and violence hangs in the air throughout.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Talk To Her. An astonishingly emotional experience.

Agreed. Everyone always goes on about All About My Mother, but this is Almodovar's true masterpiece IMO...

Tokyo Story. Beautiful, just beautiful.

:thumbsup:

The saddest film I've ever seen. Nothing seems to happen for two hours, then you find yourself bursting into tears at the end and picking up the phone to apologise to your parents for not having spent time with them recently.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Agreed. Everyone always goes on about All About My Mother, but this is Almodovar's true masterpiece IMO...

Capt H: Think AAMM has the edge but TTH is indeed a masterpiece. Almodovar's pictures seem to get more and more multi-layered and well constructed as he goes on.

:thumbsup:

The saddest film I've ever seen. Nothing seems to happen for two hours, then you find yourself bursting into tears at the end and picking up the phone to apologise to your parents for not having spent time with them recently.

The scene with the two old guys getting drunk together in the bar is just magnificent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No comment...never managed to get to the end of that one.

*snooze*

Did anyone? If they did maybe they can tell me if it improved. I forced myself to get to about 45 mins only because I couldn't believe a film could be so DULL for so long, I was wrong.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
At a younger age i was rather in love with In The Soup, a very funny 1992 Steve Buscemi tragi-comedy in black and white. I might see that again to see if has the same effect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
oops wrong thread

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I thought Dead Man's shoes was excellent. When paddy Considine is confronting the ringleader of the gang and is calm as f***. Telling him to "get in your car and f*** off" was a genius scene and not trying to be all Nick Love hardcase, just a bloke that has upmost confidence in his ability to front a situation.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Men in black,it stunned me how shit it was.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Loads, but off the top of my head recently Babel and from further back Cry Freedom.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Loads, but off the top of my head recently Babel and from further back Cry Freedom.

Babel..not sure about that, Great multi layering, but left me a bit cold.

Steve Biko deserved to be immortalised in a special way, and cry freedom did it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of the tensest moments I've ever witnessed at the cinema.
You clearly wern't sat in Odeon 2 in the summer of 1987 watching Predator then, when I was convinced the girl I'd taken there that night was about to be violently sick in my lap.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Jacob's Ladder - admittedly, the predictability of the story becomes apparent on repeated viewings but it certainly freaked me out the first time i saw it.

Requiem for a Dream - as mentioned by someone else. i put the initial impact of that film down to the funky visuals and kronos quartet soundtrack.

Lord of the Rings - absolutely stunning that they could drag that utter shit out for three hours.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Bumlick - I agree with LOTR - Boring SHITPILE

Mockingbird dont sing was a really powerful film for me after researching about the girl Genie for many years when at uni

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here