Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2022

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to watch Fall this evening. It was pretty bad. Full of predictable 'twists'/revelations, bad acting, cliches bordering on parody. Two young women, one still mourning the death of her husband in a climbing accident a year prior, decide to climb a disused 2000 ft radio tower, then find themselves stuck at the top.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I went to watch Fall this evening. It was pretty bad. Full of predictable 'twists'/revelations, bad acting, cliches bordering on parody. Two young women, one still mourning the death of her husband in a climbing accident a year prior, decide to climb a disused 2000 ft radio tower, then find themselves stuck at the top.

Pleased I didn't go then. Had a booking (Cineworld Unlimited card while they are still being accepted - suspect if/when they file for bankruptcy or whatever, the Unlimited cards will bite the dust) but last minute drama meant I couldn't make it down to the Marina. Sounds like I didn't miss anything. Did sound a bit daft, TBH.

Yesterday - having watched the 2022 remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I watched the original (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre; note the slightly differing titles) on Prime, and was struck at how little you actually saw. As with all good horror films, most was implied, and I think I remembered it far worse than it seemed when I watched it yesterday.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched a few films recently, the first being Fall. Being made by the same people who made 47 metres down (which was tense, claustrophobic and actually a decent film) I stupidly thought this would hold some weight, but it was shite. Predictable, awful effects, dire acting and not sure why anyone would still be paying a dead persons phone bill a year after their death. Dumb film, a generous 2/10.

Bullet Train, me and the Mrs absolutely loved this. It's stupid, it's way ott, it's funny (Tangerine and Lemon steal the show for me) it was just good old stupid fun. 9/10.

Thor: Love and Thunder, I enjoyed it, as I do with the majority of Marvel films, but Thor films in order I'd say Ragnarok first, then Thor, then this, then Dark World. It was decent, funny in places, action was good, just felt a little pointless, like it was a standalone film that didn't really tie in with anything. 6.5/10

Burn. It's a couple of years old and I hadn't heard of it so gave it a go. It's about a petrol station attendant working the late shift, a guy tries to rob the shop but the tables turn, she is a lonely psycho who goes right off on one.
Better than I was expecting, solid acting, slightly bizarre story that doesn't always make sense but enjoyable nonetheless. 6/10.

The Dirties. A "found footage" type film in which a couple of American school kids are doing a movie project for school, the teacher thinks that although they have good ideas inspired by the likes of Pulp Fiction, Deer Hunter, Usual Suspects and the like, but the content isn't suitable for a school project and they should cut the scenes where they shoot students. One of the students, who is already on the edge due to a lifetime of being bullied, decides they should go ahead with the film but make the shootings real, made up of a list of all the schools bullies.
It's a slow and drawn out film and doesn't always portray the sense of anger and frustration the main character would've been feeling to have even considered a shooting, there was potential for a very good film here but it falls a bit flat and ultimately builds up to a very disappointing ending.
If you haven't seen it, then Run, Hide, Fight is a much better film about the same subject, and I'd also highly recommend Bowling for Columbine, hugely disturbing to hear some of the backwards views on gun ownership in the States.
The Dirties, 4/10. Run Hide Fight 6/10. Bowling for Columbine 9/10.

Pinocchio this afternoon. Love a bit of Tom Hanks so fingers crossed it's decent.
Might also watch Beast, an Idris Elba movie about being hunted by a lion. Doesn't get good reviews so depends how bored I get.

Jul 20, 2003
Watched 'The Contractor' on Prime off the back of a recommendation by Rory Stewart on his politics podcast.

Injured US soldier needs to do some private work, things go tits up.

Generic sub-Bourne stuff. Benefits from some decent performances and keeping it shortish by modern standards (about 100mins).
It was made a few years ago but just got kicked around during covid and beyond while various companies lost enthusiasm for releasing it.

I'd rate it 6, like a reliable yet unspectacular Dale Stephens performance in a 1-1 away game at someone like West Brom.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

This looks like an emotional rollercoaster of a film.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see Clerks III earlier. I mostly enjoyed it, much more emotional than previous instalments, with a lot of looking back, and including a lot of scenes from the first film. General plot is that following a heart attack, Randall decides to make a movie of his life, which is essentially a lot of references to the first Clerks movie. There's a bit of nostalgia and a bit of finality.

I think with the clerks series they tend to focus on less experienced actors, or actors whose CVs are not full of prime acting roles, so there are some scenes which perhaps would work better with stronger actors (though Kevin Smith did seems to call in a bunch of friends from his time directing the arrowverse episodes and he-man revelations for one particular audition scene), and there seemed to be a quite noticeable increase in number of cuts within scenes - switching from subtly different camera angles multiple times during a short monologue.

I liked seeing some of the old characters coming back, seeing some of Smith's friends from his podcast and comic book empire, I think if you've grown up watching the Clerks movies this will be a fun and sentimental watch.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Just watched See How They Run
Highly entertaining 1950s set comedy murder mystery set at the 109th production of The Mousetrap. Excellent cast, more laughs than all recent comedies I can remember and a lot of fun

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Moonage Daydream: If you're a Bowie fan or even just like a few of his songs you will enjoy this film. It really gets into his mind to understand the person and outlook on life which is quite interesting and the visuals and clips are put together really well. It's much more about the person than the music

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to watch 'See How They Run' this evening. I liked it enough. I didn't think it was as madcap as the trailer suggested it would be, but I'm glad I saw it. Good cast, good performances, and I didn't feel it was too obvious.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Tonight (last night?) I went to see The Woman King. The trailer made it seem like some sort of gladiator-esque story that focuses on Viola Davis's Nanisca. It does have a large focus on her, but the story is more from the perspective of a young girl who joins the group of women warriors, played by Thuso Mbedu. They are protecting their smaller kingdom from the encroaching of a rival african empire backed by Europeans who pay both sides for slaves (the african empire rampages and steals people from villages to sell, whereas our heroes previously only sold the captives - those who had been selling their people - and decide to stop doing so as part of their story.

I quite enjoyed it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I seem to have mildly lost the lust for semi-grumpily bemoaning the quality of film out there weekly. But, well, you know, it's film festival season, and i saw a couple of flicks yesterday and thought i'd say my feelings on them.
The first was Corsage. Blinking H Norabeans, Vicky Krieps has some potency that can have one enrapt in staring at a screen for a while. And in this she is everything, of seemingly a hundred languages and a thousand layers. She plays the empress of Austria 150 or so years ago, and she does so with alluring sass, and a wish for predicted destruction that you can mostly oddly be nothing but heartfully behind. It's a striking tale of royalty that says that no matter the level you're at, if you're female you are the lesser, to be instructed and demeaned no matter the power you are attached to. Pretty good, but mainly thanks to Krieps. My heavens she fascinates.

The second film was Manticore. Now, for this i feel a tad of resentment, toward the BFI and myself. I should have known from the description what the dark urges of the main character might entail. But i'd forgotten and sold it as a Spanish thriller/horror. Well, it did somewhat horrify, and it did make me ask questions as i left, but not the sort i wanted to ask, and never the type i'd want an answer to other then GOD NO! It involves a Madridian male in his 20s with the boggliest of eyes and an expert in making ghoulish video games. He carries out an unusual act of heroism as a neighbour's apartment erupts in flames, but the trauma of this experiences brings alive in him something best burnt to a cinder. I wince even now a day later. I suppose it wants me to, but it should have known that it would and not pierced my thinking with its bedevilment. Don't see it.

And a doublebill on Monday cometh.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I went to watch 'See How They Run' this evening. I liked it enough. I didn't think it was as madcap as the trailer suggested it would be, but I'm glad I saw it. Good cast, good performances, and I didn't feel it was too obvious.

My views on this too. I liked how, despite The Mousetrap being a key part of this, it didn't spoil that at all. Nicely amusing, and was impressed by Sam Rockwell's English accent.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just back from seeing Halloween Ends, which sees a conclusion to the recent trilogy with JLC returning to the role as Laurie. As recent Halloween films go, it was a satisfying conclusion to things. Thought the middle one (Halloween Disappoints? Can't remember...) was poor, particularly the end of it, but this was certainly better. Not a brilliant film by any means, and I wasn't totally sure about a new character that came in to play a major part, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here