Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2022

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watched "Prey" last night, the latest film in the Predator franchise, and I have to say it's the most enjoyable film I've seen for a long time.
The acting is spot on, the special effects are good, fight scenes are engrossing and the backdrops are beautiful. This is a far cry from the crappy Aliens Vs Predator films, it's well made and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Nice touch using the gun Danny Glover picks up in Predator 2 and I did giggle with the "if it bleeds, we can kill it" line.
A solid 8/10 for me.

Just finished watching Prey. I rather enjoyed it. I've been rewatching the main films available on disney+ over the last few days (predator, predator 2 and predators). May be recency bias, but it's probably my favourite of them - I was never much of a fan of the original, possibly because I saw the second one first and more often. I was glad to see Amber Midthunder again, I thought she was good in the largely overlooked tv series Legion (a great show, imo).

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching Thirteen Lives, the story of the 12 kids and their football coach who were trapped inside a flooded cave in Thailand.
Very good film, although it's not very often that Ron Howard produces anything bad. Absolutely astonishing how they got the kids out, what a fantastic effort from everyone involved. Didn't do my claustrophobia any good watching it, but made me appreciate even more just how much these men and women put in to rescuing those lads.
The most upsetting thing about the film is just how many Man United shirts there are in Thailand. Something needs to be done about this terrible disease. #prayforthailand

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I also watched Thirteen Lives this evening.

I really enjoyed it. Ron Howard has a knack for telling gripping, tense stories and he’s done brilliantly here.

Can’t really fault it. Loved Viggo Mortensen’s character.

As an aside, my mate met John Volenthen, the British rescue diver played by Colin Farrell in the film, at a running event on the South Downs a couple of days ago.

3F42E360-C55B-4C35-BEF1-26FA1AF59736.jpeg

Yep, great film. Highly recommend.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was quite excited by the trailer for Bullet Train. But reviews haven't generally been kind, so. I went in with some apprehension. It had some funnyy moments, and I enjoyed the finale, but generally it felt like the sort of film I would have really enjoyed in my early 20s in the vein of lucky number slevin, or boondock saint etc. Relies a lot on the charm of Brad Pitt.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I watched Moonfall on Prime.

It's one of the stupidest films ever made, but highly enjoyable

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to watch 'Nope' earlier. I'm still not sure what I think of it. Can see there being a lot of articules on the interwebs explaining what it really means.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching Elvis.
Have to say, not a fan of the film. It felt like it dragged on for an eternity, didn't feel like it flowed at all and other than the final 20mins or so I didn't get the feeling it was telling the whole story.
Extremely sad that a clearly very talented person was manipulated and taken advantage of by people who should've been looking out for him, and the final video of him is heartbreaking to see just how far they pushed him both physically and mentally.
It was an ok film but I've been left thinking there was a better film in there somewhere and it didn't do justice to what was a remarkable performer.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Nope - yep!

It's a film that it is difficult to say much about at all without revealing too much. It's definitely one to go in with as little pre-knowledge as possible. I really enjoyed it - that Kaluuya/Peele combo is a winning formula, with Get Out the first of their collaborations and this the latest. Daniel is a rare talent, and everything I've seen him in has been ace. Queen & Slim another definitely to seek out.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Nope - nope , overlong, trying to be too clever. I liked get out, but this is tosh.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nope - yep!

It's a film that it is difficult to say much about at all without revealing too much. It's definitely one to go in with as little pre-knowledge as possible. I really enjoyed it - that Kaluuya/Peele combo is a winning formula, with Get Out the first of their collaborations and this the latest. Daniel is a rare talent, and everything I've seen him in has been ace. Queen & Slim another definitely to seek out.

Queen & Slim. Absolutely agree. A bit of an hidden gem. Really enjoyed it.

Not been to the cinema for a while but this week I have lined up on my Odeon (I know, mea culpa) Limitless membership. £15 a month though…

Beast
The Invitation
Fall
Nope
Bullet Train
Fisherman’s Friends 2

I’ll let you know…

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I enjoyed Nope. As said before the less you know the better but it was certainly unlike any other film you'll see this year

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see the welsh language horror movie The Feast at the Komedia this evening. There was a Q&A with teh director and star, but I'm not a fna of Q&As so I didn't stay for that.

I think I liked it. It was very deliberately paced, told in chapters. It felt like it suggested gore more than showed it, although there was plenty of blood (and the person next to me was hiding behind their fingers at one particular scene. Narratively, it didn't feel like it was hitting you over the head with plot points, but was clear enough for you to work out the explanation for everything, though it wasn't too subtle with the message.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Me and the Mrs just watched Nope, and it's a massive nope from both of us. Load of old monkeys bollocks.
Don't get the hype with Jordan Peele. Get out, us, candyman, nope, BlackKlansman, all shit and hugely over hyped.

Now Key and Peele on the other hand, the substitute teacher scene alone is better than all of his films....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Me and the Mrs just watched Nope, and it's a massive nope from both of us. Load of old monkeys bollocks.
Don't get the hype with Jordan Peele. Get out, us, candyman, nope, BlackKlansman, all shit and hugely over hyped.

Now Key and Peele on the other hand, the substitute teacher scene alone is better than all of his films....

I really enjoyed Us. The scene where they are breaking into the house had me in shreds. Found it very effective. Not fussed about his other stuff. I’m going to see Nope next week purely as an exercise in getting value for money on my Limitless subscription. Which has largely laid dormant this year due to most films released (at the Odeon at least) have been poor-average.

A few good films out at the cinema now though so will have a film day next week and catch up.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I see that Cineworld are thinking of filing for bankruptcy in the US. I wonder what that means for the UK side of the business?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I see that Cineworld are thinking of filing for bankruptcy in the US. I wonder what that means for the UK side of the business?

Duke of York’s
Cineworld
Dukes at Komedia
Picture house

All owned by the same group I believe (?) all under threat. They’ll likely be gone this time next year.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Duke of York’s
Cineworld
Dukes at Komedia
Picture house

All owned by the same group I believe (?) all under threat. They’ll likely be gone this time next year.

Komedia is our go to cinema, I'll be gutted if that goes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Duke of York’s
Cineworld
Dukes at Komedia
Picture house

That'll include Harbourlights in Southampton - the best cinema on the coast (probably).

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Duke of York’s
Cineworld
Dukes at Komedia
Picture house

This would be a tragedy. There's nothing like watching a film on a big screen at a decent cinema. To this day i still see going to the cinema as a "treat" much more enjoyable than watching a movie at home.

Unfortunately, they've been pricing themselves out of business for a while now. People are lazy and it's just too expensive. I can never round anyone up to go to the cinema nowadays, although i still like the odd solo cinema outing for indulgence.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see Nope a second time. Early on I thought I was enjoying it a bit more, but at one point I reallised I was closing my eyes and almost falling asleep. As I was walking out I heard someone exclaim to their companion 'what did we just watch? That didn't make any sense'.

I did like Get Out and Us (and have enjoyed all the Key and Peele clips I've seen).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here