Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2013

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cloud Atlas
I've been thinking on this a few days and I'm fairly sure I'm coming down on the side of liking it. It appears to be very polarising. Roger Ebert loves it, Kermode thinks it failed.

It is very complex, yet the stories are quite straight forward. While it would be easy to recap the various sections of the story, while you're watching it there is a sense of "I'm not sure I really understand all this yet". Though it didn't feel like a three hour film to me, and the bouncing from story to story probably helped with that.

There is some great parallels and juxtaposition of the various story lines.

I was particularly impressed with some of Tom Hanks and Hugh Grant's transformations. They are two actors who are usually pretty much themselves in every role they play. I think Ladykillers is the closest thing I can think of for Tom Hanks trying to hide within a role. There were some where it took as while to work out who were who. They aren't the only ones to be hidden within characters, but the others either are not yet established, or, like jim broadbent, have a history of different looks.

That's not to say it was perfect. Some of the transformations were a little jarring (i.e. one of Tom Hank's looks like John Travolta circa The Taking of Pelham 123, and sounded like an irish dick van dyke from mary poppins), and the tone is a little inconsistent, with some of the humour being more farcical or cartoonish than fits comfortably with the tone of the rest of the film.

Some of the dialogue is a little confusing, particular from the distant future with Tom Hanks as an islander who has one futuristic dialogue, and Halle Berry as an enlightened one with her own future dialect.

I'm also not entirely sure how the film shows what the spiel claims it does with the impact of actions echoing through time. The links seem tenuous at best, with someone in each timeline writing a book or film that is read/watched by someone in the next without any real clear indication of how that impacts on the. The one exception being one future storyline and the story of that becoming the basis of a religion on the next time period.

Hansel & Gretel
I didn't think this was notably awful. But not good. There was some bloody violence, with a one moment of 3D where a wound needlessly squirted a bit of extra blood, and a lot of swearing. After the first F-bomb I thought 'well, pg-13 films are allowed one of them, that seems to have been wasted on that. Then there were a lot more scattered throughout. I don't have a problem with bloody violence and swearing, but, the tone of the story beyond those aspects is very childlike, the themes are very youth-oriented, and despite the gruesome nature, the violence was also quite playful and wouldn't be out of place in a kids' film.

It also doesn't help that it stars Jeremy Renner who just isn't the tough guy star hollywood is trying to make us believe he is. He doesn't have the charm or charisma for it, and I don't think he rally has the look. Gemma Arterton is someone I have no great aversion to, but she lacks a certain something that I'm struggling to find the word for. She seems to lightweight, like there's no substance to her, no form or density. I'm not using those words entirely accurate, I think. I suppose the nearest thing I can think of is that she lacks authority. She seems like someone who would struggle to control a class of school kids, let alone be a fearsome witch hunter who commands a village.

Mama
I personally thought it started quite creepily, especially the little girls, but as it went on, it started to lose discipline. It sets up the ghost and it's reason for existing and hints at how it could be defeated in the end.

At the end, all of that came to nothing. The resolution doesn't fit with how they established the rules of the ghost. Somewhere in between it also hinted that the ghost wasn't necessarily evil, just misguided, then it completely goes back on it.

And the finale itself didn't work. It's hard to describe without spoiling, but... It defies Hollywood convention, but not in a good way - it may have been possible for it to be a good way, but there was nothing done in the film to set it up or explain/hint at why it ended that way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't find the TV movie thread, and it's certainly not worthy of another thread, so here goes.

I watched Unstoppable the other night.

Absolute tosh.
I'd imagine it had no actual relevance to the true story.
Completely over the top.
Text book drivel, ugly bad guys only thinking about money while playing golf.
Attractive good guys are good but with issues, that weren't their fault.
Total hokum bollox from start to finish.

Still really enjoyed it, you've got to hand it to Tony Scott, RIP.
8.1/10

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have no hesitation in admitting that when there is a clever twist at the end of a film, I NEVER see it coming.
I imagine you are tutting and arching the old eyebrows, but there it is, I admit it.

So it was tonight when I saw SAFE HAVEN. An enjoyable film, made more enjoyable for me by the twist. The rest of you will have seen it coming and won't have enjoyed the film so much. I win.

As for the rest of the film, I enjoyed that too, even though I'm sure that after about half an hour I may have reached for the fast forward if I was watching it on DVD.

7/10

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Watched Rust and Bone the other evening. An underwhelming experience, although great use of CGI (or whatever was going on with the limbs).
6.12/10

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Cloud Atlas
I've been thinking on this a few days and I'm fairly sure I'm coming down on the side of liking it. It appears to be very polarising. Roger Ebert loves it, Kermode thinks it failed.

It is very complex, yet the stories are quite straight forward. While it would be easy to recap the various sections of the story, while you're watching it there is a sense of "I'm not sure I really understand all this yet". Though it didn't feel like a three hour film to me, and the bouncing from story to story probably helped with that.

There is some great parallels and juxtaposition of the various story lines.

I was particularly impressed with some of Tom Hanks and Hugh Grant's transformations. They are two actors who are usually pretty much themselves in every role they play. I think Ladykillers is the closest thing I can think of for Tom Hanks trying to hide within a role. There were some where it took as while to work out who were who. They aren't the only ones to be hidden within characters, but the others either are not yet established, or, like jim broadbent, have a history of different looks.

That's not to say it was perfect. Some of the transformations were a little jarring (i.e. one of Tom Hank's looks like John Travolta circa The Taking of Pelham 123, and sounded like an irish dick van dyke from mary poppins), and the tone is a little inconsistent, with some of the humour being more farcical or cartoonish than fits comfortably with the tone of the rest of the film.

Some of the dialogue is a little confusing, particular from the distant future with Tom Hanks as an islander who has one futuristic dialogue, and Halle Berry as an enlightened one with her own future dialect.

I'm also not entirely sure how the film shows what the spiel claims it does with the impact of actions echoing through time. The links seem tenuous at best, with someone in each timeline writing a book or film that is read/watched by someone in the next without any real clear indication of how that impacts on the. The one exception being one future storyline and the story of that becoming the basis of a religion on the next time period.

Well summed up, watched it last night, really enjoyed it, especially the futuristic parts, one of those films you going to need to watch more than once though to fully get whats going on. 9/10 (loses a point as I was confused in parts and couldn't understand some of the dialogue). Oh and Jim Broadbent is an acting legend.

Watch it here: http://www.1channel.ch/watch-2201497-Cloud-Atlas

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lincoln 8.6 - DD-L , no more needs to be said.

Argo - not sure it is better than Lincoln, impossible to compare but Ben Affleck has gone from Hollywood pretty boy to a director of condiserable talent. Argo is a very good film 8.4

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oz: The Great and Powerful 3D
It's better than Return to Oz, but no as good as Wicked. It is very pretty, but that is probably expected for a film reliant on CG effects for almost everything you see. There are nods to the famous musical version of the film, but as the rights are owned by another company disney had to avoid certain things (such as ruby slippers, a mole on the wicked witch's chin, a particular shade of green for the wicked witch etc.) and base their stories on the original series of books.

It was fine for what it is, not sure I could really over analyse it.

Side Effects
It seemed to take a while for me to settle into this film. It felt quite stilted and stiff, almost like an improv drama where people genuinely don't know what they are going to say next. Once I settled into it I enjoyed it a bit more, but still nothing special or particularly original.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Managed to catch Silver Linings Playbook @ Dukes today. Bit of a strange film in a way, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I won't go in to too much detail but often parts of the film are shown in that close up which just seems too close up. Also lots of shouting and talking over each other and arguing and hysteria. Somehow it all seems to work out as a movie and for Pat, the man at the centre of the story.

A few observations though, Pat spends a fair proportion of the film wearing a bin bag over his sweat shirt and jogging...... when jogging Pat and Tiffany ( the female lead)always use the centre of the road even if pavements are available. Most discussions and arguements are also perfomed in the middle of the road. Is this a metaphor for the demise of the US car industry ? no cars ever appear to shoo them to the pavement oops, sidewalk ? At one point Pat and Tiffany have a date in a diner,in film time, their order arrives in about 20 seconds ? top service ! Tiffany is to buttoning coats what Ninja's are to the use of swords, at one point she runs through the foyer putting on a coat which has about 12 buttons, after 3 seconds out of shot, she arrives on the street outside with ALL the buttons done up.

So, if you like shouting and screaming and hysterical Americans , this is your film. This is Woody Allen taken to the upper decibels of audience tolerance.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've made an error or two cinematically in recent weeks, firstly dumbing down to the thick-headed nadir of the Die Hard series, and then with the plan of seeing two in a day giving up after Mama, which speaks of its desperation for quality by having Guillermo Del Toro's name as executive producer, always a sign that a film hasn't enough quality to live and die on its own. Today though, as i did in a way last week by re-seeing I Wish in the fancy new Barbican screens, there was a mild taste of elsewhere that had a stylistic alt.Hollywoodness to it at least in Stoker. I like Park Chan Wook, the director, for JSA and Old Boy and more recently the religious, sexed-up vampire tale of Thirst, and Stoker was little different in its crisp and dazzlingly-coloured look. There were no mistakes here and no accidental cuts. It is an 18. I thought it completely impossible to get an 18 certificate nowadays, but i suppose the self-frigging and incest might have pushed the sometime violence over their judges' edge. I would have that if it were made in Korea then he would have pushed it harder, Chan Wook. Still, it was a decent enough effort.

As much as moments of it are slightly shocking, there is certainly one of the trickiest parts to digest the botoxed features of Nicole Kidman. It's all in the upper lip that suddenly protudes a little simianly, the rest of her facial organs frozen in an attempt to beat it down or bring it life. It'll completely limit her now and that's a real shame. In the kissing scene you wonder if they had to digitally morph it to make it an active and passionate under-schnozzle. She did her icy and disjointed mother bit though. But of course the real stars are the super-suave and undoubtedly psychotic Matthew Goode as Uncle Charlie, the same name as Joseph Cotton in Shadow of a Doubt as the returning and murderous uncle who looks to manipulate and conceal his sins from the law that chases him, and Mia Wasikowska, the coming of age India Stoker fighting the lust for sex and physical violence virtually injected in her by her smooth relative and break free from the glassy suburban lifestyle her unfeeling mother has silently crushed her within. She's an endlessly good actress even at such a young age, her face full of thought in little movement.

I thought it alright. Not brilliant, but alright. Comedic in parts and cheekily perverse, the camera always gliding and the editing mixing time and place to jar and blend. I wonder if Chan Wook will stay in Hollywood and try another dark fantasy, perhaps bringing the legendary Kang Ho Song over to give another expert Korean performance.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
On the Road - So shit. So so shit. Completely charmless disjointed pap. One of those films that would have been best leaving as a book.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
On the Road - So shit. So so shit. Completely charmless disjointed pap. One of those films that would have been best leaving as a book.

Don't diss Viggo FFS! Him and the nipper were the good guys carrying the flame, blame Guy Pearce and his dodgy barnet at the end.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Erm... is that meant to be a joke?

If you've ever been to Brighton seafront on a cold, grey day (i.e. most days) you could be mistaken for thinking you'd walked onto the closing scenes of The Road. For me not a bad film at all, the book is just sublime though and you too Acker could be one if the good guys carrying the flame.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you've ever been to Brighton seafront on a cold, grey day (i.e. most days) you could be mistaken for thinking you'd walked onto the closing scenes of The Road. For me not a bad film at all, the book is just sublime though and you too Acker could be one if the good guys carrying the flame.

The Bucket isn't talking about The Road (based on the cormac mccarthy novel), he's talking about On The Road (based on the jack kerouac book) On the Road (2012) - IMDb

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
:facepalm: :D. 'My bad' as they say in the USA!

I think one of these is called for :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362922496.213350.jpg

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
On a freezing afternoon, I went for a look at SIDE EFFECTS today. I quite like Jude Law, and I liked him in this rather unusual and original tale.
I worry that a full description of the Catherine Zeta-Jones Lesbo performance might consign this whole thread to the "other stuff" dungeon, so I won't bother with that.

This film won't trouble the Oscars, even for those members of the academy with a memory long enough for them to recall this next February.

But it was ok. 6.88/10

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Watched Rust and Bone the other evening. An underwhelming experience, although great use of CGI (or whatever was going on with the limbs).
6.12/10

Just Watched it on Blink Box ( 3 Tesco points) :lolol: I thought it was very good, like most French films, very good atmosphere, better than any Hollywood equivalent. Million Dollar Baby springs to mind. 7.5/10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here