Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2013

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You're the second person I've seen to post a negative review of GS. Perhaps I was still on a les mis high and was light on it because of my mood.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Went over to a cinema that charges £11.50 for very little legroom this afternoon to watch What Richard Did. An Irish film about Richard and how he deals with something pretty difficult. He must be about 19 and all the fun of the fair, a charming lad into his rugby and his trips to the beach as the leader of a small troop of friends all out of for a reasonable laugh. Richard falls for one girl and the repercussions of that cause his incident that changes everything around him, guilt immediate and destructive.
It's a rather good film. It doesn't scream of what's gone on or have the meaning of everything spoken about at length. It just has chapter after chapter that are connected by not fully spelt out in front of us. No hollers of "woe is me", like that bloody horribly smug and unbelievable Perks of Being a Wallflower, but just a sometimes amoral tale, half-laced with tragedy and good-humour causing one to think surely how they'd act at such an age dealing with what's gone on. A good film worth seeing if it's on anywhere in Brighton. Only 4 cinemas in London with it, so it's not on everywhere.
For my pleasure it also had as the dad of Richard the legendary Troels from The Killing series 1. A joy to see him still in work somewhere.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Every year the oscar nominations come out and i have seen one or two of the films up for award. This year, i am deliberately trying to see a few more. Amour was the only one i had seen prior to this week, but now i have seen another two!
Silver Linings Playbook. DeNiro was a touch of eternal class in it, pretty much as he always is, and i liked seeing the mother from Animal Kingdom being the put-upon mother and housewife here, her American accent quite good. But overall i didn't hugely appreciate it. The middle of it was ok. The start was bad both in the acting skills of Bradley Cooper who should never be licensed to do anything but film of an A-Team standard, and that it was a discomforting semi-comic portrayal of those suffering from mental illness at the beginning. It didn't fit. But as i say the middle with it's lesser extremities settled into a more endearing romcom-style piece with some oddness thrown in. At the end, though, i hated it again wholeheartedly. Oh you empty filmmaking swine of Hollywood. You're just bad people when rounding off storylines or the irregular or non-mainstream. So, to sum up, it was ok in its mid-section. Largely thanks to DeNiro and some dancing.

I will just quickly say that Les Mis is in my top 5 film musicals now having seen it. But, as i have only seen perhaps 3 in total, it ain't saying much. Blimey what a difficult few hours. Thankfully, it became more funny as it went. It might be me i know, but to sit and take seriously people standing on their own and singing their thoughts, as if they can't pull a face to say the same, is just a funny thing. 2 and a half of hours of people singing everything and very little actually happening because the action had to stop for song was just drearily dreadful. I didn't care much as to whether Crowe could hold a note or not. It was more that everyone is just simply inanely warbling very bland lines all the time and their lives are a constant chorus. The emotion that they sang of dryly was barely expressed physically or kinetically, and the choice of every shot being a painful close-up of whoever shrilled for such a long time put a narrative very much at the back of this karaoke. What was good of it was Anne Hathaway, who can hold a tune, but is taken from us too soon; the comic double-act of Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bohnam Carter bringing some lightheartedness to it; and an early track in the office that has some Oliver sensibilities to it. It was a tough watch and one i won't look to repeat in the next star-studded musical. The last hour of it had me want to kick good few of the "actors"' faces off. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarruuuuuuuuuuuuuuumpppppppppppppphhhhhhh! Tada.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I won't be first or last to have seen it, and for that i shan't give much or anything away, but i am just back from a frosty walk from my local that showed Django Unchained. Now, i wasn't blown away. I was bored in some spells and actually embarrassed in others. But there are some very good scenes too. Dicaprio brings some class to affairs, and Cristoph Waltz is as charming as he was in Basterds, with a little less evil in his heart, but Foxx, for instance doesn't get much of a chance to shine.
I don't think Tarantino should talk about the politics of his film again as there is none in it. Just a mixture of some good individual scenes and some Peckinpah-esque bloodbathery. If i was in my very early 20s i may still have rejoiced in it, but perhaps, although it may not be obvious to others, i may have matured in the last 15 years, but it doesn't seem like Tarantino has as a film-maker. If anything, he's become more cartoonish, and less powerful as cinema ages around him.
Poorly cut but some good action here and there.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Does anyone know what the release date is for The 4th Reich? With Sean Bean. Looked around but couldn't find anything.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Django Unchained
I would agree with Mark Kermode, it is a good film with some scenes/set pieces/sequences that are very very good, some entertaining action, but it is far too long, and could easily be cut down to a shorter, better film. I will add that I loved the soundtrack. I thought it had a strong finish, such that it made me walk out thinking it was better than I did when I reflected on it as a whole.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Argo - 8/10

How close to real events it is, is irrelevant - it is a cracking film: tense, exciting, very funny in places, and I'm surprised Affleck hasn't been nominated for a directing Oscar; it is remarkably in the vein of the classic 70s/80s Gene Hackman-esque films. A very very good night out.

Zero Dark Thirty - 8/10

How close to real events it is, is irrelevant - for me, it did a very good job of timelining the events from 2001 onward, and putting them in an extremely watchable film, filling the screen with good actors telling an interesting story. It's not one for Valentine's Night, but well worth your time and money.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Went to see Les Mis at the Dome in Worthing on Monday. Best £3 per ticket I have ever ever spent!!!!! The cinema is fantastic for what it is (an old, 50's style cinema if you've never been), the sound was fantastic and the picture quality great. I am never going back to a soulless multiplex again.

As for the film, simply, it has to pick up every Oscar going. The cinematography was excellent, everyone suited the roles, and sung amazingly.

Next film I'm waiting for is either Zero Dark Thirty or Flight (Trailers look amazeballs and Denzel has to be up there for an Oscar too for his performance)

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Zero Dark Thirty - 8/10

How close to real events it is, is irrelevant - for me, it did a very good job of timelining the events from 2001 onward, and putting them in an extremely watchable film, filling the screen with good actors telling an interesting story. It's not one for Valentine's Night, but well worth your time and money.

Oh, and don't go expecting to see long scenes of disturbing torture, or leave expecting to have seen something controversial. To any vaguely intelligent person, there's absolutely nothing surprising in it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Zero Dark Thirty
I liked it, but, I went in knowing I was going to be watching two 2.5hour films. Perhaps this played in to the feeling that it was longer than it was and felt like it was moving too slow at times. There was plenty to like, I think I've got a bit of a crush on Jessica Chastain. Because I went straight into the next film, I didn't really have a chance to properly digest this one.

Lincoln
This one had a bit more humour to it, which certainly helped the run time. In part it was lots of hey, it's that guy! guys in funny wigs and/or beards. I thought James Spader was really good. It was quite interesting seeing such historical figures in situations that are perhaps thought of as modern politics. I tend to think of older times as honourable and so on, and think of buying and trading votes as a modern idea of politics.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Django. Tarantino continues on his slow, downward trajectory with this effort. KKK hood scene was not particularly funny and the endless body count just got tedious after the 18th or 19th man had fallen. Plus points - Waltz and DiCaprio were both excellent. Wanted to like it, but it really didn't deliver. I left the cinema feeling chained.

6.125/10

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Anyone looking forward to Stallone in 'Bullet To The Head'?

-This thread is bloody hard to find, won't come up if I type in (search bar) Film, 2013, Film 2013, bloody shambles. had to settle with 'imbd'. :ohmy:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It shows up when I search 'film 2013'. Sometimes have to scroll down a bit, but usually first page of replies.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Must just be me then. :shrug:

Also looking forward to 'Two Days in the Smoke' with Matt Di Angelo. Released in April.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I was looking forward to seeing LINCOLN because a) I like a long film, and b) I like a true story.

And Lincoln didn't disappoint in either respect, although if anything it was too long.
But having just got back my over riding memory was the really superb performance by Daniel Day Lewis in the title role. Got it just right. Not overplayed at all. Bloody good. Would certainly get my Oscar and Bafta vote, if I had one.

8/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here