Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2010

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
After a fabulous roast in The Basketmakers yesterday afternoon, I decided to check out The Town at The Odeon.

I like Ben Affleck as an actor and I liked him in this. The film has a different angle on the normal sort of US heist movie and it was pretty good. It was a bit longer than it needed to be, but was not one of those films where I'm checking my watch after half an hour.

I don't think they made enough of the unusual location for the big heist at the end, but my only real criticism was that for the total number of bullets fired in this film, the number of casualties was remarkably low.

Worth a look in my opinion 7.5/10

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
500 days of Summer

A superb film , a love story of sorts. Boy meets Girl, Boy falls in Love with Girl, Girl does not feel the same, Girl dumps Boy, Girl moves on. mmmm that sounds familiar !. This struck home on many levels and is a well told, well acted film that is not the normal hollywood scmaltz. It has some great scenes especially a wonderful song and dance routine, witty and clever. It is now in my top 20 films of all time.

Upon your recommendation on the fittest lady thread I thought I'd give this a watch. Agree with your review completely. Was by far the best romcom I have ever seen, no mushy scenes. Just beautiful. Fantastically fitting sound track too.

I still don't fancy Zooey Deschanel though, sorry.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is the best rom com film ever made, period. A film that blokes will like as much as Women.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Town

Quality film, great storyline, decent action sequences....and Ben Affleck (who wrote it I think) is actually bloody good in it

8/10

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Other Guys.

A return to form for the Ferrell. Very funny. Great cameos from Samuel L Jackson and the Rock as well.

8.5 out of 10.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Town
Like others have said, this is a good film, well acted. I found the end a little too.. neat, but otherwise a very good film.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Had everything a thriller should have - a gripping plot, twists galore and er, subtitles.

Go watch. 8.7

Agreed. Definitely a very good watch.

Mrs AD took me to see the second in the trilogy "The Girl who Played with Fire" in Guildford last week.

The best film I've seen in years - 9.0

Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Made In Dagenham - I like British films set in the sixties or seventies and I particularly liked this one. The only thing that spoilt it for me was the clumsy use of archive footage (as if to prove it was a true story) and the interviews with the old dears in the closing credits.

8/10

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The Social Network - this was a bit of a struggle at first (it deliberately seems to have very fast dialogue between characters in noisy settings and it would help to have a rudimentary knowledge of the US college system) but once i settled into it it surprised me and became an exciting and fascinating film. Also, very funny in places. Personally, i actually quite dislike Facebook but it has been made into an almost Shakespearean story by Fincher. 9/10 from me.

nb: only criticism is it's 90210 depiction that everyone at US college is incredibly beautiful (disgustingly wealthy i can understand).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Buried
I'm not a big fan of Ryan Reynolds, so didn't really feel for him, and the darkness made it hard to work out what was happening at times, and sometimes it was hard to work out why he did some of the things he did, but it did build some tension. I would class this as 'alright'.

Vampires Suck
Date Movie had one funny moment. Epic Movie had one funny moment. Meet the Spartans had no funny moments. Disaster Movie had no funny moments. I had very low expectations for the latest film from the team behind these. So to have had three or four funny moments means this one exceeded (albeit very very low) expectations. It probably benefited from a narrative focus that has been lacking in previous films. There was no ill-fitting sketches shoehorned in simply for the sake of spoofing every major film released this year.

On top of this, the lead actor and actress were actually much more appealing than K-Stew and R-Patz, and the film itself was much better than any of the three twilight movies. Having said that, this was still a rather poor film.

Mr Nice
I had no prior knowledge of anything to do with this film other than having seen the trailer a couple of times. This one didn't really do anything for me. I didn't feel any sympathy for any character, didn't find the story all that interesting or entertaining. It was just m'eh.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Legend of the Guardians looks superb.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ok so i am probably cheating my way in Film 2011 early, but i went to see Black Swan in the London Film Festival today, and that was an intense psychological cracker. Expertly made by Darren (The Wrestler) Aronofsky.
It's Natalie Portman, feeble and fragile, finally getting her chance to be the lead in a showing of Swan Lake. She's criticised for not being able to find the black swan inside of her, the darker and more nefarious side to her to be shown as she dances less structuredly in one part of the ballet. And lives with her mother, who seems to ply enormous pressure on her to be the perfect little ballerina she couldn't be due to childbirth. It's Portman's emotional collapse as Swan Lake is both being made for its opening night on stage and mirrored in her highly pressured real life. Her imagination runs wild, parts of her seeming to turn black swannish. She seems to be starving herself to stay looking so slight and liftable, but the effects are ones of a slow and self-harming madness, an insanity unhelped by those around her that could be out to get her and her temporary place at the top.

The music is generally amazing and Portman is an excellent little dancer. Vincent Cassell is the suave and monstrous artistic director, looking to shake a sexual beast from this frail little angel. And Winona Ryder as the failed pirouetter.
It's like The Red Shoes mixed with Carrie and The Fly. Really bloody excellent and completely spine-tingling. When it comes out, watch it.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Ok so i am probably cheating my way in Film 2011 early, but i went to see Black Swan in the London Film Festival today, and that was an intense psychological cracker. Expertly made by Darren (The Wrestler) Aronofsky.
It's Natalie Portman, feeble and fragile, finally getting her chance to be the lead in a showing of Swan Lake. She's criticised for not being able to find the black swan inside of her, the darker and more nefarious side to her to be shown as she dances less structuredly in one part of the ballet. And lives with her mother, who seems to ply enormous pressure on her to be the perfect little ballerina she couldn't be due to childbirth. It's Portman's emotional collapse as Swan Lake is both being made for its opening night on stage and mirrored in her highly pressured real life. Her imagination runs wild, parts of her seeming to turn black swannish. She seems to be starving herself to stay looking so slight and liftable, but the effects are ones of a slow and self-harming madness, an insanity unhelped by those around her that could be out to get her and her temporary place at the top.

The music is generally amazing and Portman is an excellent little dancer. Vincent Cassell is the suave and monstrous artistic director, looking to shake a sexual beast from this frail little angel. And Winona Ryder as the failed pirouetter.
It's like The Red Shoes mixed with Carrie and The Fly. Really bloody excellent and completely spine-tingling. When it comes out, watch it.

i'm always interested in reading opinions on films but as usual your review gives away everything about the film - sorry dude, time to bin you to the ignore list :thumbsup:
for christ sake, add **spoiler alert** to your comments or write a review - not a fecking synopsis!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Has anyone seen Red? Is it worth going to see?

Saw RED last night and whilst it was entertaining and had a great cast it was really a ridiculous plot (even for a Bruce Willis film)

So if you go expecting an intricate joined up plot, you'll be disappointed. 3/10

But if you just want a laugh, lots of explosions and machine guns, its ok 7/10

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Social Network

Oh dear, a bit of a hotchpotch of a film. Fast paced dialogue exchanges under the sound of pumping loud music tend to make me strain to hear and understand what is going on.
After a while I gave up and waited for the scene to move on.

Trouble is, these scenes KEEP happening, the film then starts to flip back and forwards explaining the detail of the multiple lawsuits as the Frat Pack fall out. Only one or two characters have any sense of decency and it seems more like a rolling drink and drug party for most of the time.

It is said that history is written by the victors but this does not ring true in this film. Zuckerberg comes out of this whole film as a moody, selfish, resentful, duplicitous, arrogant Billionaire who made it but a still lost everything that mattered.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Red

Entertaining, bit of a crap plot, great cast = good acting as you'd expect. The lead female would GET it! (and probably Mirren too!)
Wait for DVD Release or Sky Movies, not worth the cash at the cinema, 6/10 for entertainment value and the odd laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here