Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I also saw Young Victoria. I did enjoy this, but it felt like it ended just as the story was getting going, but perhaps I expected more of a historical drama along the lines of Elizabeth and not a romance film. Still, very good.

Yeah, me too - wanted it to be much longer - but i think that's a sign of a good movie!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
London to Brighton

Dark and not really in a good way. Acting pretty poor and direction rubbish.

Main bad guy not mean enough.

Pretty unenjoyable watch really.

5/10

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Leatherheads
Enjoyable, tries a bit too hard to be an old-school screwball comedy but still undemanding entertainment 7.5

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Tonight I shall be mostly watching... Australia

jesse2.jpg

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Take tissues. Lots of tissues.

I thought you were joking! Honestly, I haven't cried so much at a film since I was 11 watching Titanic. I wept for the last half hour, and by the time i came out i actually couldn't breathe! All my friends laughed at me because my face was so red and blotchy!

It's an hour since it finished, and my eyes still sting!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought you were joking! Honestly, I haven't cried so much at a film since I was 11 watching Titanic. I wept for the last half hour, and by the time i came out i actually couldn't breathe! All my friends laughed at me because my face was so red and blotchy!

Heh. Nope, genuine warning.

People were openly sobbing when I saw it last week. I wasn't that bad, I'm not generally a crier with films, I've welled up a few times, but this film actually had a few tears rolling down my cheek.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Motorcycle Diaries - really enjoyed it. Yes, very good. I give it 8 out of 10. At times I forgot I was watching a film.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I take it the Dog dies.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watchmen

I've not read the graphic novel of this superhero tale, so went in not knowing a thing about it. Interesting story, set in an alternate 1985 with Nixon still president after a resounding victory in Vietnam, thanks primarily to the help of Dr Manhatten, a muscley blue god-like being who spends the film walking around with his schlong flapping in the wind. Good characters, decent backstory, but they could comfortably have trimmed half an hour off, its unnecessarily l-o-n-g and slows to crawling pace in places.

Stylishly shot though, plenty of gruesome gore and explosive violence, and very ODD. Quite liked it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The Motorcycle Diaries - really enjoyed it. Yes, very good. I give it 8 out of 10. At times I forgot I was watching a film.

Yeah i only saw that for the first time about a month ago and it was a very moving and subtle cracker. I'd seen Che part one, which was fancy and too theatrical to seem a realistic tale, and the M Diaries was a much finer piece of work to give the makings of a portrait of a modern legend.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Lesbian Vampire Killers
I don't watch whatever TV show these guys are from, but I enjoyed the guy who isn' matt horne when he was on the end of the year quiz, and he was really funny in this. Matt Horne isn't as funny.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Nothing original, but mildly entertaining 90mins or so. Kevin James is as good as he usually is.

Duplicity
Slick, classy, and fun. I like Clive Owen, so enjoyed this a lot. Twisty, but not confusing.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
In the last week or so I watched:

The Green Mile - 8

Battle Royale - 9

Raging Bull - 9

Ronin - 7

Children of Men - 8

The Score - 8

Jackie Brown - 9

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Had the misfortune of seeing Lesbian Vampire Killers earlier today. I quite like Corden and Horne, though their sketch show is terrible, so although I was expecting this to be a bit dodgy I was hoping they would pull it through with enough laughs on their chemistry alone. Unfortunately, they don't, and the film is so terribly put together that even if they were great in it it would still be a turkey.

The script is nowhere near clever enough to convince as the postmodern film they're trying to make, with one of the worst structures I've ever seen (the film's big set piece seems to begin about half way through the film) and a total failure to create any sense of adventure, danger or tension. Worst of all, it's not funny, and the titillation promised from the advertising is far more toned down than it ought to be considering once you boil it down the film's sole purpose is to get a few attractive girls in skimpy outfits.

I could go on and on, but it all just adds up to a real turkey and a massive dissapointment, even if your expectations have taken a tumble as the duo have become more and more annoying recently.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The script is nowhere near clever enough to convince as the postmodern film they're trying to make,

I didn't think it was meant to be a post modern film (I really hate that term, btw) I thought it was meant more as an affectionate spoofing of hammer horror movies.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am seeing Marley & Me tonight.I am bracing myself for the euythaeseum scene.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Marley & Me

I had high hopes for this film but Kermode hated it. Well Kermode is a decent reviewer but also a complete wa*ker so I went with an open mind. The film was decent enough and as I LOVE my Dogs I can relate to how they affect ever single aspect of your lives. The love you get is unconditional, your looks, your money, your job , your age, your opinions do not matter. They love you all the same. My Dogs have brought real joy to my life. The story is about Marley and his errant ways and the young couple and their journey through life raising a fmaily, job moves, house moves. The Dog is there through it all. It covers the aging process and the eventual death well and the ends scenes were well done and a tear rolled down my cheek. My friend was crying a lot.

It was good but not as good as I had hoped for. Not a classic.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I didn't think it was meant to be a post modern film (I really hate that term, btw) I thought it was meant more as an affectionate spoofing of hammer horror movies.

I think affectionate spoofind like this is kind of post modern anyway. And I'd also say that the blatent sexism and idea of having a clan of sexy lesbian vampires is sort of as well considering if it wasn't considered post modern people would probably just find it offensive.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought it the overt sexism was more tongue in cheek, than post modern (really, break that phrase down post = after, modern = current times, ergo post modern = futuristic. The phrase is ridiculous - not an attack on you, just my own personal pet peeve)

I normally only mention the films I see at the ciema, but felt compelled to share this one from my rental list:

The Gingerdead Man
Gary Busey is a murdering thief, he's sentenced to death, his body is cremated, and his ashes end up in the mix for a gingerbread man, the baker cuts himself, bleeds into the mix, the thing gets baked and out pops a living, breathing, murdering psycho killer of a gingerbread man.

This was so ridiculous. It really was so awful it was great. It was cheap in every single possible way (like, student movie budget cheap). It is right up there with Revenge of the Killer Tomatoes.

There are also a couple of sequels on the way:

Gingerdead Man 2: Passion of the Crust
The horrifying yet delicious and chewy Gingerdead Man causes murder and mayhem on the set of a horrible low budget movie set

Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver
the third installment finds the title fiend traveling back in time to the 1970s, where he murders the contestants in a roller-disco contest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here