Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Illusionist.

Decent enough, Edward Norton could have played the guy a bit weirder but nice enough.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In The Loop
I had to pay for this because it wasn't on at cineworld (not locally, anyway). I never watched 'In the thick of it' which is apparently a counterpart to this, and one of the characters (and several other actors) come from it.

Tom Hollander was fantastic.

There is one character (Malcolm Tucker - the one character brought over from the tv show) who was always swearing and making these incredibly colourful and aggressive threats to people. He did so with aplomb.

It took me a while to warm to the film. I think I was put off by the students who were laughing at even the most mundane of things. It was quite annoying, and so at first I was I think reacting to the audience more than the film. By the end I did quite like it.

Though, does anyone in the world breath louder than James Gandolfini?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Crank 2

Against my better judgement I saw this tonight and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

No pretences to be something it wasn't, full on action and some genuinely hilarious moments.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right, next Tuesday do I see Man on Wire or that Iron Maiden documentary?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've heard good things about Man on Wire, I've heard nothing about iron maiden. So, I'd go with man on wire.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Man on Wire is a very well made film, really interesting. I did fall asleep for a bit of it but don't let this put you off, it's very rare I am able to stay awake for the full duration of a film in the cinema.

IT'S TOO DARK AND COMFY.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Let the Right One In
A swedish film about a young boy, victim of school bullies, and the friendship that develops with the new girl in his apartment block. Oh yeah, she's a vampire.

I really enjoyed this. It was quite sedate most of the time, but very well told story and it drew me in well. Apparently, lots of stuff from the book is cut, or trimmed down to the point that if you haven't read it you wouldn't pick up on it, but it doesn't stop you understanding or enjoying the film.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Yeah Let The Right One In is a quality film. I saw it other week with a screen talk with the director afterwards. He had stripey socks and a floppy side-parting and told us that Swedish people all find poodles funny. One of the better things about it, other than the necessarily sudden moments of blood and gore, is the lingering suggestions of immorality that hover over it all. You have true love developing between two 12 year olds, but one is possibly 200 years old and only looks 12, being a vampire. Is she 12 still inside, never having been allowed to physically or emotionally develop since being bitten? Or does she just look it, making her a paedo? Does he now get the chance to grow with forever hunting prey for her and will he still find this tiny bloodsucker attractive when he is in his 40s and she a permanent child? An uncomfortable, but oddly heartwarming viewing.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Have you read the book? I haven't but was discussing the film with some others who have. Apparently the book gives more background on Eli.

I can't say i have.
Some of the dialogue throughout hints that Eli might not be all the naturally feminine though. And the screenplay was co-written by the novelist too.

A funny thing the director said was those who saw it in America thought Oskar's dad was clearly having a gay relationship. He said that there was no inference of that at all and found that strange to hear. But i thought he was as gay as a goose too!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't say i have.
Some of the dialogue throughout hints that Eli might not be all the naturally feminine though.

Yeah, the book readers mention that was the case. And the brief clip when he watches her change did look odd.

And the screenplay was co-written by the novelist too. A funny thing the director said was those who saw it in America thought Oskar's dad was clearly having a gay relationship. He said that there was no inference of that at all and found that strange to hear. But i thought he was as gay as a goose too!

When the friend came over I started to think Oskar was being pimped out. Then I started to suspect the friend might be a vampire. Then I just started to think they were gay.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Crank: High Voltage

I'm not a fan of jason statham, and wasn't looking forward to it, but my god, it was so much fun. It wore its absurdity on its sleeve, and was unashamedly ridiculous and so entertaining for it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes Man

No Man. A very dissapointing film. I really like Carrey but this was a dud. There was no highlights, in fact nothing of note happened the whole film. Carrey is a huge talent but even his efforts could not save this Turkey. Carrey's worst film imo and it makes Cable Guy look like Citizen Kane.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Finally got around to watching this. Carrey again. It is rated in top 100 films of all time on imdb with 8.5. Again I was dissapointed. Carrey was very good in this and is a fine dramatic actor. The film was weird. I get the concept to have memories erased that are too hard to carry on living with but is it not these memories good or bad that make us the person we are and are part of life's rich journey ?.

It was an ok watch but not the masterpiece some would believe.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
State of Play
It was pretty good, but felt like it could have been more. I spent large parts of the film thinking "Yeah... I don't like russell crowe". Otherwise pretty decent.

Observe and Report
I did not like this film. There were a few funny moments, I just don't get Seth Rogan, how does he have a career?

I Love You, Man
Decent enough, paul rudd is pretty fun, some of the smaller "comedy" characters seemed a little disappointing, buit generally a good film.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Edge of Love - shit. Fell asleep. Horribly acted for the bit of it I was awake. Leira Knightley should not attempt a welsh accent. 2.5

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
In The Loop- Brilliant, Very funny and some fine swearing 9.5

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Soloist

Bit disappointing as it had Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx in the lead roles of an LA columnist who stumbles on a classical violinist down on his luck. Tries to show the homeless in a sympathetic way but comes over as being very preachy. Seems to have gone down well with the punters but bombed with the critics. I much preferred Terry Gilliam’s The Fisher King which dealt with a similar subject.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
FAO Unc:

[yt]kxwiEigQD3g[/yt]

The trailer was bootlegged and the distributors got it staken off immediately.

They are pretty protectiveof this film.

Whilst not everyone's cup of tea I thought Transformers was SUPERB and Revenge looks like they have taken it to a new level and raised the bar to produce the most stunning effects ever seen in the history of Cinema.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Quantam of Solace - meh. Alright but instantly forgettable. Daniel Craig is too wooden to play Bond. 5.8

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here