Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
UP

After my terrible ordeal at the hands of Invention of Lying, it was nice to end the week with a genuine piece of great cinema.

Great story, fun characters and entertaining for both kids and adults on many levels. No point in it being shown in 3D though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Blindness

Interesting (but not enthralling) film about an unexplained "blindness virus" which sweeps the population, rendering people immediately, errr, blind. Julianne Moore, for some reason, stays unaffected and keeps her sight, but in staying with her now-blind husband, is locked up in a secure hostel with others who'd just gone blind (in the governments initial attempts to isolate the virus before it spreads further).

Poses a few questions on how people would cope, and portrayed the resulting breakdown in society quite well (echoes of 28 Days Later). Kept me interested. Not bad.

Being up to date,

The Big Wednesday,

I have had go reports for this over the years.

But I found it a real let down, wooden actors, unrealisitic mergingof actors into surfing scenes, and just poor field location work, in one scene 50ft rollers coming in, force 9 gale and not a hair being blown.

lc

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Zombieland

went in with quite low expectations......... which this film thoroughly exceeded.

Jesse Eisenberg plays a very similar character to the one he played in Adventureland (also, highly recommended) and i laughed all the way through. i always thought Saun of the Dead was overrated (merely being quite a good film) and, for me, this is much funnier. 8/10

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
My Sisters keeper......... Surprisingly good, could make a few of you blubber! 9/10

My one & only........ George Hamilton's story with Rene Zellweger. Pretty good 8/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Quite the cinema day today. Went to Milton Keynes and saw Zombieland, which I enjoyed even more than my last viewing.

My friend and I then stopped at crawley and saw Halloween 2. I'd heard a lot of negative reviews of this, but I actually really enjoyed it. But then, I remember the first getting bad reviews, and I liked that one a lot too. This wasn't as good as that, but was still enjoyable. Malclm MacDowell was fantastic.

We then watched Pandorum, which again I enjoyed more than last week. We did have plans to check out something at the marina when we got back to brighton, but the film times didn't allow it.

GOOD WILL HUNTING

Didn't do much for me, in fact got bored half way through though \i suspect it was going to get better,

the main pait m Damon and Affleck just came over as too pretty to be the sycopathic thugs from a rough part of Boston.

Perhaps its a skill British Directors have and their ability to cast actors that look the part.

Nevertheless, if you are not convinced by the main actors, then the flesh falls away from the rest of the film.

Some machine gun fire one liners that may mean that the film comes to more life in the second viewing.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus.

Interesting with great performances by Heath Ledger and the surprisingly good Lily Cole. Very, very weird though - to the point of really getting in the way of the story, which is weird anyway.

All-in-all a typical Gilliam trippy movie that is worth a go just to see Ledger for the last time. The scenes completed by Depp, Law and Farrell work perfectly (luckily) what with the fantastical elements of the film.

6.9/10

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
UP

Great story, fun characters and entertaining for both kids and adults on many levels. No point in it being shown in 3D though.

Saw it on the weekend. This is all pretty much spot on.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The Invention of Lying

i was expecting this to be shite and it truly delivered. However, i must say it was tremendously enjoyable on a god awful how-did-they-say-that-with-a-straight-face way. when gervais' mates pop up for a cameo i was crying, man. it is occasionally boring, frequently irritating and often truly, brilliantly, bad. i was shocked to see at the end that he cowrote and produced it. he is truly milking his one-trick as far as it can go and how he got away with this film i don't know! (but he is to be commended)

film rating: 1 , enjoyability rating: 7

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Damned United

Its an interesting film but not the great work some claim. Its basically a made for TV movie and pretty average apart from a stand out performance by Sheen.

Still amusing to see the way football was , hardly flattering to Bremner or the other Leeds players.

Sheen sounded and acted like Clough but Spall although a great actor does NOT sound or look like Peter Taylor one iota.

Funny to see the bits about BHAFC and Clough's reaction. Interesting to know Bamber came in for Clough directly after Derby sacked him but Clough renaged on his deal with Bamber and Taylor honoured it.

When they re united we all know what happended. It was the start of the BHAFC charge up the league table. Clough did a solid season of work but it was Taylor who took that forward on his own and Mullery reaped the benefits of Taylor's work.

Overall dissapointing a little and only worth watching for Sheen's performance and BHAFC references ( showed the Brighton Pier , should have been the Palace Pier ).

Yeah, I was disappointed by this. Got pretty bored to be honest.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus
I'm not a big fan of Gilliam's work. It looks very pretty, is sometimes stunningly visual, but rarely akes a whole lot of sense.

This one is actually one of his easier films to follow, and still maintains the great visuals. No one really annoyed me too much. Good film, imo.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Saw VI
I quite enjoyed this, definitely a stronger entry in the series. Perhaps the strongest since Saw II. It answered a lot of questions, but also leaves it open to be connected to the 7th (confirmed in 3D) and supposed 8th installment that is supposed to be a three film story arc.

If you were starting to lose faith in the series, give it a chance. If you lost faith lon before the fifth one,or if you didn't like any of the previous entries, you can probably skip this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Couples Retreat
I really enjoyed this. Vince vaughn sometimes makes me laugh smetimes, doesn't. In this one he did. No one annoyed me, and the story was sweet, if unoriginal and unsurprising.

Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant
This felt like a good pilot episode to a potentially very good TV series, but as a film felt like it was missing something. It was generally ok, though mostly felt like a kids film, then there'd be mild swearing, suggesting it wasn't quite kid friendly.

Only just got round to watching "Anchorman" for the first time this week after get slaughtered by many people for having not seen it. Great film and gets funnier the more you watch it. Love Steve Carell as Brick, and I sure hope they make a sequel because "I love lamp"!!

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Fantastic Mr Fox
Old-skool looking animation. Clooney as Mr Fox shouldn't work but it does. Takes a while to get going, a lot of dialogue, but when it does it's very funny. Jarvis Cocker is superb as Petey, with a ridiculous song. I took my seven and nine year olds - they both loved it, but I'd say its aimed towards older kids.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Another positve review for up. The whole family enjoyed it. Nice story with a distinct lack of Disney cutesiness. In fact it doesn't feel like the usual production line animation that we've been served up in recent years. The opening sequence is very touching and I'm sure the grumpy old central character would strike a chord with a lot of our regular posters.

I'll give it 4 out of 5

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Triangle - quite enjoyable but was hoping for some clarification at the end as to what the feck was going on :shrug: might be of interest to you if you like The Shining. still, it was good for a brit flick. 6.5/10

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Michael jackon - This Is It

Watched it yesterday, although some of it was brilliant it was sad to see him not being able to dance how he used to, and missing out words during rehersals. The footage from rehersals where he wears the read shirt, you can see him struggling to keep up with everyone else. It has some brilliant bits with all the other dancers and the movies they make for the video wall. I dont think there was any way he would have fulfilled all 50 gigs going by what was shown.

Still a great talent but I didnt think the film was great - but that will probably be wildly overlooked as it is a Jacko tribute.

6.5/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here