Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Filling Falmer

William Chops

Feb 3, 2007
just out of interest, where does the potential which people think we will be able to fill Falmer come from?

We have only spent 18 years of our history in the top two flights. Historically we are a little club. Why do people think we will get big crowds?

Not only this, the club are aiming to secure a lot of the funding on future attendances. With the club languishing in the bottom tier (which we will be) why would an outisder lend us any money ?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
You might as well tell everyone that you are a member of Falmer Parish Council in disguise, Mr Chops.

I would advise you to look at Reading, or Wigan Athletic, who are historically "little" clubs. Upon getting new stadiums, they attracted lots more fans, lots more money, and both got into the premiership.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
William Chops said:
just out of interest, where does the potential which people think we will be able to fill Falmer come from?

We have only spent 18 years of our history in the top two flights. Historically we are a little club. Why do people think we will get big crowds?

We used to get some decent crowds at the Goldstone and we took 30,000 + to the play off final so the potential is there. If we dont believe then there's no point going on really.

William Chops

Feb 3, 2007
Both clubs had their stadiums paid for by rich benefactors and were heavily subsidised to get into the Premiership.

There is a big difference between their situations and ours.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
William Chops said:
Both clubs had their stadiums paid for by rich benefactors and were heavily subsidised to get into the Premiership.

There is a big difference between their situations and ours.

And who's to say we wont get rich investors once the planning side is sorted once and for all?

William Chops

Feb 3, 2007
Bit suspect to base a business plan on maybe getting a rich benefactor....so I go back to my original question.

William Chops

Feb 3, 2007
I did not say it had. The previous posted posed that scenario so I made a suggestion it was not good sense to do so.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
mendoza10 said:
people will turn up on the day
you just decided in the morning if you want to go and turn up, withdean you cant do that as you have to buy in advace

our finances at falmer are based on an average gate of 12000

How many times does it need to be said !

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TURN UP AT FALMER AND PAY ON THE GATE

Last edited:

William Chops

Feb 3, 2007
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
It will be easier -- and more pleasant -- to go to Falmer than Withdean. Hence, more people will go.

William -- are you a member of Falmer PC or Lewes DC?

Neither, I am a loyal Ablion fan since 1974. I am also a really f***ed off Albion fan at the moment who is starting to think the board are living in cloud cuckoo land.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
William Chops said:
I did not say it had. The previous posted posed that scenario so I made a suggestion it was not good sense to do so.

I'm sure the board Have got a bit more buisness sense than the sense your posts are making!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The club said at the public inquiry that it needed to borrow £29m to fund the stadium. The rest of the money would come in from grants and financial packages which the club is entitled to. As I understand it, although we don't have the money in our pockets - I've got to phrase this carefully - the club has very good grounds to believe that the grants will be in place by the time work gets under way.

The £29m will be paid for on a basis of obtaining a 12,000 average, paid for over (I think) 20 years - possibly less. Whether that means ticket sales alone, or whether that figure includes all other commercial spin-offs, I'm not sure. But what will definitely happen is an immediate upsurge of interest in the club - certainly locally, if not nationally.

That would make any money-lender interested in the project.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
William Chops said:
Neither, I am a loyal Ablion fan since 1974. I am also a really f***ed off Albion fan at the moment who is starting to think the board are living in cloud cuckoo land.

So if you have your doubts about financing and filling the stadium at Falmer, what do you suggest we do then?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Large One said:
The club said at the public inquiry that it needed to borrow £29m to fund the stadium.

So what is that cost now ?

I'd say around £32m and hopefully there was contingency for this.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
William Chops said:

I don,t know whether you are right or wrong......but most on this board would probably disagree with you. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people, who no longer turn up to watch the Albion, week in and week out who WOULD agree with you. They are the ones we,ll need to get back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here