Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fight for Falmer

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The LibDem leadership campaign is a blessing to the Albion because it puts the LibDems under the spotlight. The behaviour of Lewes DC highlights what is structurally wrong with the party as it allows small-minded local honchos to go against the party consensus. We must publicise nationally the role of Lewes DC in stopping the stadium. This is an opportunity we must not miss.

If anybody has contact with Paul Hayward, Nick Szepanick or other pro-Albion journos could they ask them to publicise the anti-football agenda of Lewes DC. I suspect that many LibDems nationally would be horrified if they knew about the antics of LewesDC. Mark Oaten could be among them.

Lewes DC want to keep this issue local. Can't we contact football fans nationally to publicise the political nature of the Falmer dispute. The Football Supporters Fed should be informed that we are suffering primarily because of the LibDems. What do the official supporters club and FFA think about this? The point is that we have to act soon whilst the pressure is on the LibDems nationally. Oaten and Hughes may well want to distance themselves from the anti-sport, class-ridden antics of Lewes DC and that would wipe the smug grins off DeVecchi/Commin/Baker's faces. They seem to feel that they can get away with the financial risk as long as they put out the environmental line nationally. We must not let them get away with this.

I am a Brighton exile so I'm only around for home matches. I'm not just a ranter or a keyboard warrior but I can't act alone over this. We need a group of people to agree that Lewes DC's policy is an ISSUE OF NATIONAL IMPORTANCE and to publicise it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This is a fantastic idea, after all I remember poor old Paddy Pantsdown getting a right lambasting by fans over David Belotti when he was LibDem.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
We are all sick of this and no doubt fans of other clubs are. It seems to me that the LibDem party have to be identified as the main organisation that wants to stop the stadium and is willing to end league football in Sussex. Outside Sussex, nothing is sticking to the LibDems. I plan to e-mail as many fanzines as I can find around Britain. I hope the supporters' club will be in favour of publicising what is happening and will contact all other supporters' clubs in the country.
Any other ideas ??
There isn't much time but I think it is vital that the machiavellian antics of Lewes LibDems are properly reported nationally. It seems to me that they have more influential friends than we have.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
A very good idea.

I speak to people all over the country daily and when they ask me about how the stadium is progressing and I explain the situation with LDC they are all taken-aback in disbelief.

We use to be a well very well organised bunch back at the Goldstone, but a lot of people have dropped of a bit, nows the time to push again.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Both Mark Oaten & Simon Hughes signed EDM 889....they are presumably pro-Falmer. I doubt whether Stormin Norman will be supporting either of those candidates. Let's hope that someone does make a real issue out of LDC's actions, but let's also hope that someone bordering on the sensible, like Hughes, actually manages to win the contest.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Great idea, it's about time we had a campaign again. What we need now is some ideas to get this moving fast.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
An excellent idea - we're crap on the pitch (Partly thanks to the Lib Dems)so this might help take our minds off that for a while!

When knobhead Baker was on the Radio the other evening, (5Live) saying how Democratic the LibDems were I was screaming at the Radio saying how UNdemocratic the LibDem Party was in Lewes, not respecting the wishes of the vast Majority of their constituents.

I WISH somebody at a radio station or on the TV could ask him WHY he changed his mind - saying before the result of the Inquiry that he would respect the Decision - then surprise surprise he doesn't like the decision so he changes his mind and supports LDC's decision to appeal. Utter Tosser.

If Simon Hughes and Mark Oaten signed the EDM 889 could we not use this to our advantage.?

What about emailing (can we get the emails of the 4 candidates?) the 4 of them telling them how LDC is making themselves very unpopular with local residents (except the inbreds of Falmer) and why does their Party not respect the Majority of their cobstituents. What about asking them all how they stand on the Falmer issue? I know it's not a National Story - BUT what IS a National Story is that LDC is NOT representing the Majority of their Constituents on this matter.

What we want is every time one of the candidates does a serious interview, the last question should be on Falmer !

Any ideas where we star t! ?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Mark Oaten: oatenm@parliament.uk
Simon Hughes: simon@simonhughes.org.uk

I emailed them both back at the beginning of December, but got no response. At least they already know of the issue:

Dear Mr Hughes,

I wish to draw your attention to a serious issue of great concern to many people in Sussex and beyond. You will be aware that the ODPM recently gave permission for the construction of a Community Stadium in Falmer, north east Brighton. This was after a long drawn out and extensive public enquiry. In 2004 you indicated your support for the stadium by signing EDM 889 - for which, many thanks! However, last week Lewes District Council (a Liberal Democrat controlled council) decided in cabinet to seek a Judicial Review of this decision. This is despite the fact that (a) the football stadium is in Brighton & Hove. Only an adjoining coach park is in Lewes; (b) local polls show that residents of Lewes are against the council's decision by a majority of 4 to 1; (c) the potential costs, should LDC lose, are likely to be extensive - well into 6 figures.

There is every indication that LDC's decision is political, and not based on planning grounds. I urge you to please investigate urgently what is going on in Lewes. As a former Liberal Democrat voter I am extremely concerned that LDC is putting the good name of the party at risk for the sake of a few individuals' irrational objection to a sport which is, after all, our national game.

Many thanks in advance for your interest,

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
An excellent idea - we're crap on the pitch (Partly thanks to the Lib Dems)so this might help take our minds off that for a while!

When knobhead Baker was on the Radio the other evening, (5Live) saying how Democratic the LibDems were I was screaming at the Radio saying how UNdemocratic the LibDem Party was in Lewes, not respecting the wishes of the vast Majority of their constituents.

I WISH somebody at a radio station or on the TV could ask him WHY he changed his mind - saying before the result of the Inquiry that he would respect the Decision - then surprise surprise he doesn't like the decision so he changes his mind and supports LDC's decision to appeal. Utter Tosser.

If Simon Hughes and Mark Oaten signed the EDM 889 could we not use this to our advantage.?

What about emailing (can we get the emails of the 4 candidates?) the 4 of them telling them how LDC is making themselves very unpopular with local residents (except the inbreds of Falmer) and why does their Party not respect the Majority of their cobstituents. What about asking them all how they stand on the Falmer issue? I know it's not a National Story - BUT what IS a National Story is that LDC is NOT representing the Majority of their Constituents on this matter.

What we want is every time one of the candidates does a serious interview, the last question should be on Falmer !

Any ideas where we star t! ?

http://www.libdems.org.uk/party/people/mps.html

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Perhaps also it would be a good idea to send an official letter, rather than bombarding people, thanking all 28 of the people for signing the EDM...... perhaps try and coerce them into getting fellow MPs to sign.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
Perhaps also it would be a good idea to send an official letter, rather than bombarding people, thanking all 28 of the people for signing the EDM...... perhaps try and coerce them into getting fellow MPs to sign.

The candidates definitely need to be made aware of the potential disaster awaiting the LibDumbs in any local elections because of the actions of their local councillors on LDC (and the local MP).

Maybe a bombardment is the way to go-it will serve to illustrate the depth of feelings against Sussex LibDumbs thanks to the actions of a couple of vindictive anti-football councillors?

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I've just sent an email off. It's my council tax money. :glare:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Jim in the West said:
Mark Oaten: oatenm@parliament.uk
Simon Hughes: simon@simonhughes.org.uk

I emailed them both back at the beginning of December, but got no response. At least they already know of the issue:

Dear Mr Hughes,

I wish to draw your attention to a serious issue of great concern to many people in Sussex and beyond. You will be aware that the ODPM recently gave permission for the construction of a Community Stadium in Falmer, north east Brighton. This was after a long drawn out and extensive public enquiry. In 2004 you indicated your support for the stadium by signing EDM 889 - for which, many thanks! However, last week Lewes District Council (a Liberal Democrat controlled council) decided in cabinet to seek a Judicial Review of this decision. This is despite the fact that (a) the football stadium is in Brighton & Hove. Only an adjoining coach park is in Lewes; (b) local polls show that residents of Lewes are against the council's decision by a majority of 4 to 1; (c) the potential costs, should LDC lose, are likely to be extensive - well into 6 figures.

There is every indication that LDC's decision is political, and not based on planning grounds. I urge you to please investigate urgently what is going on in Lewes. As a former Liberal Democrat voter I am extremely concerned that LDC is putting the good name of the party at risk for the sake of a few individuals' irrational objection to a sport which is, after all, our national game.

Many thanks in advance for your interest,

The other two candidates in the LibDem leadership contest are:

Christopher Huhne MP

&

Sir Menzies Campbell CBE QC MP

These 2 however did not sign EDM 889, in fact Huhne was not an MP at the time.

So if you are basing your emails on Jim's text you will need to ammend for Huhne & Campbell. You might want to use ' 20 of your parliamentary colleagues signed EDM 889' or something similar.

Have fun emailing!!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Bwian said:
Maybe a bombardment is the way to go-it will serve to illustrate the depth of feelings against Sussex LibDumbs thanks to the actions of a couple of vindictive anti-football councillors?
Perhaps we should circulate something to as many clubs' message boards as poss, urging all supporters to write to their local liberal democrat councillors, and highlighting that they won't be voting LibDem at the upcoming local elections (we'd need to check which councils are actually holding elections in May 06).

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Jim in the West said:
Perhaps we should circulate something to as many clubs' message boards as poss, urging all supporters to write to their local liberal democrat councillors, and highlighting that they won't be voting LibDem at the upcoming local elections (we'd need to check which councils are actually holding elections in May 06).

I think they will probably be "Falmered out" by now-I know I am.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here