Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fight for Falmer

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Bwian said:
I think they will probably be "Falmered out" by now-I know I am.
I think we all are but one last effort could make all the difference. The more publicity given to DeVecchi and Baker's role in this, the easier it will be to expose them for the political frauds that they are.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
mona said:
I think we all are but one last effort could make all the difference. The more publicity given to DeVecchi and Baker's role in this, the easier it will be to expose them for the political frauds that they are.

I'm all in favour of getting as much publicity as possible-I just think it's down to us now.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Jim in the West said:
Both Mark Oaten & Simon Hughes signed EDM 889....they are presumably pro-Falmer. I doubt whether Stormin Norman will be supporting either of those candidates. Let's hope that someone does make a real issue out of LDC's actions, but let's also hope that someone bordering on the sensible, like Hughes, actually manages to win the contest.
Too right.
No doubt I will be flamed for this but I have been a member of the Lib Dems for many years. I must admit, I have considered resigning but then at least remaining can lobby from within & get to vote for a leader like Simon Hughes. And all said & done, if I didn't vote Lib Dem, I could never bring myself to vote any other way as in reality they are all as good or bad as each other.

Contrary to what alot of people say they are like every other political party; full of sensible, reasonable peple & arseholes too.

I know when Bellotti, put himself forward as an EU candidate, as well as the Albion lobby against him, there was an overwhelming anti against him within the Lib Dems, & he came virtually at the bottom of the list, ununusual for someone who had the profile of a former MP.

Also Lib Dems on Brighton & Hove council, including a former Tory, who defected to the Lib Dems, have always been pro Falmer & the later voted on Planning Committe for the goahead.

I can assure you those of us have written withing the party highlighting the apparent un Liberal & Un Democratic behaviour of LDC & Baker.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
33057 Seagull said:
Too right.
No doubt I will be flamed for this but I have been a member of the Lib Dems for many years. I must admit, I have considered resigning but then at least remaining can lobby from within & get to vote for a leader like Simon Hughes. And all said & done, if I didn't vote Lib Dem, I could never bring myself to vote any other way as in reality they are all as good or bad as each other.

Contrary to what alot of people say they are like every other political party; full of sensible, reasonable peple & arseholes too.

I know when Bellotti, put himself forward as an EU candidate, as well as the Albion lobby against him, there was an overwhelming anti against him within the Lib Dems, & he came virtually at the bottom of the list, ununusual for someone who had the profile of a former MP.

Also Lib Dems on Brighton & Hove council, including a former Tory, who defected to the Lib Dems, have always been pro Falmer & the later voted on Planning Committe for the goahead.

I can assure you those of us have written withing the party highlighting the apparent un Liberal & Un Democratic behaviour of LDC & Baker.

A few years ago I wrote to Don Foster (Lib Dem) MP for Bath to complain about his choice of Bellotti as his election agent in the 2001 General Election. Foster wrote back to me, basically telling me to eff off. Since then I've kept him sporadically up to date with the Falmer issue, such that when the ODPM announcement was made in October, he actually wrote to me and said how pleased he was. Subsequently I wrote again telling him of LDC's actions in seeking a Judicial Review. He recently responded basically saying that he couldn't really do anything, but sounding very sympathetic. Don Foster is LibDem spokesman for Culture, Media & Sport. If anyone on here lives in or around Bath, it would be well worth writing to him....the more letters we write, the more the pressure builds.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
33057 Seagull said:
Does this include the £90,000 the Albion is going to have to spend, the £35,000 they are throwing at it, plus whatever the government has to pay, and the fact the LDC believe they are not liable for the Albion's costs, despite naming them as co-defendants?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Although there are no local council elections in Lewes this May, as far as I can see, there ARE elections in Eastbourne, Worthing, Crawley and (I think) Adur. From my brief research it would seem that Lib Dems in Crawley have no hope (Labour & Tory parties dominate) or Adur (very Tory). But Eastbourne is a marginal Tory council (14 tories, 13 lib dems), and Worthing is mainly Tory, but a good spread of Lib Dems. I'm sure many on here know an awful lot more about the local political scene - but my guess is that a concerted campaign in Eastbourne & Worthing to raise the profile of what Lewes District Council is doing could be very beneficial. I know we're all suffering from campaign fatigue, but the additional effort of highlighting the hypocrisy and lack of democracy amongst Lib Dems in Lewes has a dual purpose:

- It's pro-Falmer, plus
- It's anti LDC and anti Baker :)

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
33057 Seagull said:
Too right.

I can assure you those of us have written within the party highlighting the apparent un Liberal & Un Democratic behaviour of LDC & Baker.
Well done!
Lewes DC are going against a lot of key LibDem principles. If the threats sent to Roz from the police can be traced to a complaint from DeVecchi or one of her friends, then we are talking about civil liberties and freedom of speech.
The total ignorance about the educational aspects of the Falmer stadium project is at odds with their attitudes towards university expansion. At the heart of their policy is the inclination to support a wealthy minority (the Falmer residents). We must keep the pressure on LewesDC.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
4 e-mails sent to the LibDem leadership contenders...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
:bounce:

Sticky, please...

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
I e-mailed 606 about the antics of Lewes DC including their spiteful withdrawal of sponsorship for Lewes FC last season. Don't think it was read out.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Today I had a letter from the House of Commons from Mark Oaten (he signed the EDM 889 in October 2004) I had pointed out that the Lewes Lib Dems were not being democratic in their decisions nor representing the majority of their constituents.
He replied quoting partliamentary protocol and allowing all parties to have their views aired in the legal process.
Still at least he replied.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
Although Conn's article in the Guardian is reasonably balanced it lets Baker and Lewes DC off lightly. There is no hint of the anti-football mentality that underpins so much of the opposition.

We must remember there are some very powerful people against the stadium; Nicholas (build Goodwood as high as you like but f*** the plebs' stadium) Soames for a start.

As somebody said there is a pessimism pervading Conn's article. I think we have a hell of a fight on our hands still and the nimbys must not be under-estimated which has happened all the way through so far. Has Lewes DC set the police on anybody else after what happened to Roz?

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
33057 Seagull said:
Too right.

As a Lib Dem as well, when contacting my party's MPs, the tactics I have tried is:
- to point out to Lib Dem MPs that local Lib Dems in Brighton have supported the stadium;
- that the stadium is in fact within Brighton City boundaries and not in "Norman's seat" as one Lib Dem MP thought;
- that it is the most environmentally friendly option, with very easy rail and bus access.
These seem to work most of the time...

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
mona said:

We must remember there are some very powerful people against the stadium; Nicholas (build Goodwood as high as you like but f*** the plebs' stadium) Soames for a start.

Was in Chichester today & you cannot help but notice Goodwood on top of the downs. I was later in Lavant, a very picturesque village with a colleague who lives there & commented about the buildings. His response was that 'It's lit up like the Titanic at night'.

Goodwood)can be seen from 10 miles away, yet it still got developed!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
David Conn's article in yesterday's Grauniad showed that he had spent too much time with the nimbys. I've written a reply but forgot to question why he never mentioned that Derek "Norman's a Wanker" Chapman is himself a resident of Falmer suburb.

Lets keep the pressure on!!!!

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Originally posted by Mona

David Conn's article in yesterday's Grauniad showed that he had spent too much time with the nimbys

You can say that again! Whatever Conn says, which isn't very much, the words are lost under a huge centre page idyllic colour photo of Falmer pond and church, an archetypal old world village scene straight out of Country Life.

The only other pic is an inch square view of an empty field with the caption:

A public inquiry found no better site for Brighton'as new ground than a ploughed field [this pic] by Falmer village, [the big pic] in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

There is no clue that the huge campus of Sussex University is nearby, nor the dual carriageway road, nor the proximaty of Brighton University, nor that the stadium itself is not going to be in an AONB, not that the car park, on non-match days will allow visitors to the Downs to not block the Falmer village streets. Etc, etc.

His words may not attack the plan, but the image screams "how could you even begin to think of vandalising such tranquility?"

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
The point of this thread was to highlight that Fleet St is desperate to dig up dirt on the LibDems. The Mark Oaten case has proved this. Now is the perfect time to publicise all the skeletons in Baker and DeVecchi's football free wardrobes.

This is an opportunity that we must not miss. The anti-stadium stance indicates an anti-sport policy that I am sure LibDem leaders are keen to distance themselves from. Please e-mail them, newspapers and national phone-ins. You only had to read the SheffUtd programme to realise the sympathy our cause has nationally with football fans. Make Baker and DeVecchi's hatred for sport stick to them and identify the LibDems as the anti-sport party.
The irony of all this is that if they succeed in scuppering the stadium it will be terrible publicity for the LibDems and could end the political careers of Baker and DeVecchi. But it won't do us any good at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here