Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFS Wilkins we DONT need another striker

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We do need another striker.
Bas has gone and not been replaced and DW obviously dosent rate Revell that much.
Jakey seems to be used in midfield as much as up front.
And Elder isnt the man to shoot us out of this division and keep us in the Championship.

So YES we do need another striker.

face in the crowd

Jan 20, 2006
We do need another striker.
Bas has gone and not been replaced and DW obviously dosent rate Revell that much.
Jakey seems to be used in midfield as much as up front.
And Elder isnt the man to shoot us out of this division and keep us in the Championship.

So YES we do need another striker.

I don't think it is that Wilkins doesn't rate Ravell that much.

I think the problem is that Ravell is no more than average at holding the ball up consistently due to his lack of bulk. This reduces the ability to link the play back into midfield and often results in us playing long ball football from the back which isn't going to get the best out of Forster.

When Savage was in the team, he was (usually) able to hold off a defender long enough to get the ball back into midfiled and then the midfielders\fullbacks would attempt to get Forster away with shorter passes.

I personally think the Revell\ Forster partnership will only flourish if Cox plays in behind them in the diamond formation. I also think Forster is much more beneficial to Revell than Revell is to Forster in this partnership and I not sure i like it that way round.

I think adding another striker that can hold the ball up well is important to give us the flexibility to play with wingers as well as the diamond. I don't think any other striker in the club is capable of this role at the moment.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I would say we need a winger first, but we could do with another striker as well. Revell is doing well at the moment but he hasn't always been consistent in front of goal, Elder is an aerial threat but a very raw player in almost every other aspect, he's not as likely to change a game off the bench as Bas was. Gatting, will put away a chance if he gets it, people have called him lazy which I think is ridiculous, he does work, he's just slow, but he won't really have much of an impact on a game. Not sure he's much use as a sub. Robinson's movement and pace are good, but he has no composure in front of goal.

Maybe we should bring back Bas on a severely reduced wage? :lol:

Gatting scored 1 goal in a bout 11 games for woking and that was a penalty! you cant tell me he puts away his chances

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We DESPERATELY need another striker. How can this guy be serious in saying we don't need a striker, but DO need midfielders? We've just signed two new ones! Revell isn't up to the job of being a long-term starter, and although I rate Elder as a prospect neither is he. We have a JEWEL in Forster - for me the best player in the divison. So, we need to make sure he gets every single bit of support possible, to ensure we get the most out of him, and that includes providing him with an ideal strike partner. We don't currently have one at the club, and without one we'll finish no higher than 10th.

Have to agree with that... too many good but not great strikers at our club; Forster is so far clear of the rest it is almost embarrassing... we need another striker BEFORE THE WINDOW CLOSES, or it is bye bye play-offs. IMHO...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I know a lot of people are not happy with Revell as first choice but that is not what worries me. I think he has done a good job (5 in 5 since he came back) but the real problem is what happens if he or (more importantly) Forster gets injured. We need more strength in depth up front otherwise it could be a problem at any time.

Wilkins was certainly saying the right things in the Argus and the encouraging side is that we have acted early this year rather than waiting until the last minute.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Gatting scored 1 goal in a bout 11 games for woking and that was a penalty! you cant tell me he puts away his chances
I never watched him for Woking so I couldn't possibly say, I can only judge him on what I've seen for us and the reserves/youth.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I never watched him for Woking so I couldn't possibly say, I can only judge him on what I've seen for us and the reserves/youth.

The local Woking support didn't have much of a good word to say about him, not rated here at all.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

IMO Not good enough, he just has nothing to his game, ccant really be used as a target man as hes a bit to small im sure if he was a bit taller he would look alot better and give us somthing we dont have at the moment.

the other options bring alot more to the team than gatting.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
IMO Not good enough, he just has nothing to his game, ccant really be used as a target man as hes a bit to small im sure if he was a bit taller he would look alot better and give us somthing we dont have at the moment.

the other options bring alot more to the team than gatting.
Well generally I agree, I think the chances of Gatting "making it" are pretty slim (although he does have another year after this one on his contract), but I think one thing he does have is the ability to put a chance away when he gets it. He doesn't even seem to get in many positions though...

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Revell,Forster,Elder,Jakey,Coxy,Hammond?

Has no one pointed out that Hammond just wouldn't be played as a striker, Cox i doubt would either and Jakey has hardly played there this season, Elder has not started a league game so that leaves us with 2 main strikers who aren't going to be fit the whole time. I think that all points to the fact that we need another striker to replace Bas more than anything now.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I have an enourmous fear that if Forster gets injured we could be in serious truoble: Revell/Elder partnersip = two blokes with the touch of a rapist, awful positioning sense and low experience; Revell/Robinson = very little bulk, defenders would be in heaven, again no experience; Elder/Robinson = Might cause trouble with their pace but no initiative, class or experience, and again no experience.

Need someone to support Forster, i think any type of striker would be able to work well with him as he has qualities above the standard of this league and the defenders he comes up against.

I would suggest...

Fleetwood ( FGR )
Cox ( Reading )
Maybe Akinfenwa - similar player to Bas
Puncheon ( Barnet )
One of the Forest strikers in the duldrums ( They have about 7 )
Murray ( Rochdale )
Robinson ( Hereford )
Lester ( Chesterfield )
Zebroski ( Torquay )

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here