Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ffs tier 4

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can totally understand that. It does all feel a bit endless at times, but we're getting there. For balance, he did maintain that restrictions could be lifted in Spring, saying "We will get there by the spring. People should just hold on.". I'm never one to stand up for the Tories, I hate them, but I think the whole 2022 thing has been taken out of context (once again) by the media. A journalist asked if it would take till 2022 to be back to normal, Hancock said he was confident it would be before the, hence the quote. It's absolutely dreadful reporting.

Without downplaying the severity of the virus at all, and the need for restrictions, there are many out there who would have you believe that we are truly in the end times now, this is not the case, and frankly my levels of contempt for the frenzied fearmongerers in the media has hit new height. We were told there was no way the PL would resume till September, it resumed in May, we were told there was no way we'd have a vaccine for a few years, we got one in 10 months, notice how quickly people were to speculate that treatments wouldn't work on this new variant of coronavirus, so much has been said which hasn't turned out to be the case. I still maintain that whilst this new variant isn't good, things are still a LOT better than they seem

Good post. ‘Normal’ for me would mean things like, for example, unlimited international travel - that depends on completion of a huge global vaccination programme so can easily see travel restrictions being in place in some areas into 2022.

I think we’ll be at ‘near normal’ much sooner (providing the Oxford vaccine is approved).

Maybe they are.

Maybe they are thinking of the thousands of businesses that will cease to exist if bungling Boris keeps shutting down the economy

Maybe they are thinking about the thousands who are experiencing severe mental anguish at being locked up for months

Maybe they are thinking about their kids (and the kids of others) who will have no real prospects of getting a job (and therefore a house) once Boris has totally destroyed the economy

Maybe they are thinking about the countless homeless on the horizon when those who have lost their jobs can no longer afford to pay their mortgage or rent.

At this time of year, it is always good to think of others less fortunate

These are all bullshit arguments. Government can support businesses. Government can invest in mental health services for adults and kids. We can provide rent suspensions. Saying thousands more vulnerable people have to die just because we don't put pressure on our politicians to provide adequate support is nonsense.

And the worst thing is all the anti lockdown bellends are rightwing nutjobs who vote for politicians who won't invest in business, mental health and rent support. They are ****ing hypocrites, and deadly ones at that

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
it won't be long if things carry on as they are that a mutation that is not just more easily spread but will be far more deadly we have got to follow instructions and hope the vaccine is given quickly and in enough numbers to set up herd immunity

Being more transmissible is an obvious advantage, so it's not that much of a surprise that it's moved in that direction.

The is absolutely no advantage in being more deadly, in fact quite opposite. It's very unlikely it would go that way..

But agree, time to get the f*ck on with it. Lock down and vaccinate!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Blairs comments dont help imo. Its clearly far more complicated than a politicians idea, needs new studys, licensing approval... Why dont we give half doses to twice as many little people living in more populated areas, change the priority, base it on how many people you meet in a week, oh and push people who go out to pubs and clubs up the list as they are more likely to spread it.

Makes some sense to the layman, though I feel he is speaking out of turn

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Do behave. The Spanish Flue in 1918 killed up to 100 million people and it rarely gets a mention now.

Well it was pretty much the cataclysm that started the concept of "public health care", not a coincidence that a lot of countries started their first NHS-like organisations in the 1920s and I dont think you could overestimate the impact this had on society, medicine research funding, population growth etc. in the long run.

That said I hope we go back to perfectly normal again or at least I will get more suspicious about the origins of this virus.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good post. ‘Normal’ for me would mean things like, for example, unlimited international travel - that depends on completion of a huge global vaccination programme so can easily see travel restrictions being in place in some areas into 2022.

I think we’ll be at ‘near normal’ much sooner (providing the Oxford vaccine is approved).

I'll settle for the normal where you beat me in a marathon that we've both started from a mass pen at approximately the same time.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Ahh, vindication. People said 2,000 fans would be the start of larger crowds and just went along with it :lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Do behave. The Spanish Flue in 1918 killed up to 100 million people and it rarely gets a mention now.

And it changed the world

...at the moment, we are very much a consumer society that loves pubs, restaurants, cinemas and the way this is going, they are disappearing. That is quite a c change in how we will live moving forward ...not to mention sporting events etc.

Under no way was I comparing it with Spanish flu, or the plague ( which wiped out over half of the population of Europe at the time) , but in effect this pandemic could result in major change to our society.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well it was pretty much the cataclysm that started the concept of "public health care", not a coincidence that a lot of countries started their first NHS-like organisations in the 1920s and I dont think you could overestimate the impact this had on society, medicine research funding, population growth etc. in the long run.

That said I hope we go back to perfectly normal again or at least I will get more suspicious about the origins of this virus.

Thought the first national health service in the world was our own and that took nearly 30 years after Spanish flu to get going.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
And it changed the world

...at the moment, we are very much a consumer society that loves pubs, restaurants, cinemas and the way this is going, they are disappearing. That is quite a c change in how we will live moving forward ...not to mention sporting events etc.

Under no way was I comparing it with Spanish flu, or the plague ( which wiped out over half of the population of Europe at the time) , but in effect this pandemic could result in major change to our society.

To be honest I hope it does change the way we do things as we can't carry on wasting the worlds resources and screwing the economy. We need to rein in consumerism , we need to respect our world. Europe has just killed 20million mink because they are scared of crossover of the virus maybe time to take a long look and realise we don't actually need fur.....and certainly don't need to maltreat animals to get it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thank you for that

Should have an email by now :

Arsenal and Wolves fixtures will now be played behind closed doors.

With the City of Brighton and Hove moving into tier four as of Boxing Day, following today's government update, our match against Arsenal and likely Wolves will now be played behind closed doors, with no fans allowed inside the stadium.

If you have a ticket, parking or booking protection for either match you do NOT need to do anything, as we will automatically refund general admission and 1901 Club match tickets, parking and booking protection.

Refunds will be returned by the method with which you paid and for those who paid by credit/debit card rather than season ticket credit, this should arrive back in your account in the first week of January.

Please bear in mind this can take a little while, particularly over the holiday season, but we are working to get these processed as quickly as possible and we ask for your patience in these unprecedented times.

Both matches will be televised live, with the Arsenal match live on Amazon Prime Video and the Wolves game live on Sky Sports; and if you haven't already, supporters can take advantage of a 30-day free trial with Amazon Prime Video available through the club - details are below.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
And the worst thing is all the anti lockdown bellends are rightwing nutjobs who vote for politicians who won't invest in business, mental health and rent support. They are ****ing hypocrites, and deadly ones at that

A lot of senior republicans in the Trump administration were saying it was all fake news, lockdowns in the US should be stopped etc etc................

Guess who's at the front of the queue to get their vaccine jabs - courtesy of the same science which they have spent years denying

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here