Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ferdinand says that Terry was 'blatantly racist'

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I don't think the term Coloured is deemed offensive in South Africa so I don't see why people have dragged that into the argument.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Terms are only offensive if they are used in an offensive (i.e. attacking) way.

'Black' is how some people identify themselves. In that context it isn't offensive. In the context of how John Terry is alleged to have said it, it is considered offensive.

Similarly, 'coloured' or 'negroes' is how a lot of black people used to identify themselves. Again, in that context it isn't offensive. However, describing someone else as a 'negro' or 'coloured' nowadays, even if not designed to be offensive, would be commonly considered either ignorant or disrespectful, given that is not how most black folk wish to be identified these days.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't think the term Coloured is deemed offensive in South Africa so I don't see why people have dragged that into the argument.

I don't think holding up South Africa as an example of what is and isn't considered racist is a great idea. They're years behind countries like the UK on that score.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
it was two men having a pop at each other neither of them blessed with a great education heat of the moment thing i dont think it was meant to be taken in a racist way I'm nota lover of john terry But i dont think he should have his trail on this board

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
it was two men having a pop at each other neither of them blessed with a great education

Education really isn't the issue here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm nota lover of john terry But i dont think he should have his trail on this board

That's John Terry for you, him and his family are always at the centre of trouble.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Probably fixtures..

In the "real world" any form of racist behaviour in the work place = the sack!

It's about time professional sports people had to adhere to the same rules as everyone else!

If found guilty that is, of course!

And no I have no ill feeling towards JT as I don't no the fella, personally.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Possibly no Gerrard either his back on crutches again

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interestingly - for some perspective - the Ledley King story from May 2009 where he was arrested outside a nightclub for a racially inspired assault on a Pakistani bouncer didn't get hardly any attention. It's seems pretty cut and dried he called the bouncer a "fat P*** Bastard".

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Feeding frenzy at NSC again. Seems everyone has forgotten the Liverpool player accused of racism, as [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] says the Ledley King incident and many more besides. if it's John Terry let's lynch him. Very educational.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Dont think Terry is racist but did use a racist line. Doesnt make him the KKK. He could apologise and acknowledge this but would then be strung up by the F.A. He will just to have to accept whatever they decide.

This morning i shouted at someone who pulled out on me saying "You stupid women" , doesnt mean i am sexist though does it.

Heat of the moment and Anton is black but probably not a c t.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Did Van Persie do a Nazi salute yesterday? If it had been JT then there would be a whole new thread on it... haven't seen it mentioned here yet.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Dont think Terry is racist but did use a racist line. Doesnt make him the KKK. He could apologise and acknowledge this but would then be strung up by the F.A. He will just to have to accept whatever they decide.

This morning i shouted at someone who pulled out on me saying "You stupid women" , doesnt mean i am sexist though does it.

Heat of the moment and Anton is black but probably not a c t.

bet he is a c t but this is britain so it will all get blown out of proportion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here