Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Female sports personality of the year 2011

Why on earth is anyone complaining that no woman has been nominated for The BBC sports personality of the year award 2011. If a woman had achieved anything that warranted her inclusion for this year's award then she would be nominated. Women have won the award in the past for achieving something. It's time that women realised that just by jumping up and down and playing the Sex discrimination card, they are just making fools of themselves. My Christmas message to those in the burn your bra Brigade is concentrate on becoming first rate woman than trying to become second rate men.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I can't highlight anything a woman sportsman has done this previous year. Didn't ellen MacArthur win it for her contribution to sport?!

End of thread

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
I can't highlight anything a woman sportsman has done this previous year. Didn't ellen MacArthur win it for her contribution to sport?!

End of thread

You can't highlight ANYTHING a sportswoman has done this year? what about these.........

- Rebecca Adlington: Won a gold and silver medal at the World Aquatics Championship in Shanghai.

- Charlotte Edwards: Captain of the all conquering England Women’s Cricket Team.

- Jessica Ennis: UK No.1 Heptathlete, won silver at World Championships.

- Tamsin Greenway: captain Of The Surrey Storm, bronze medal winner at the netball World Championships.

- Helen Jenkins: British No.1 Triathlete, qualified for Olympics after winning the Hyde Park Event.

- Sarah Stevenson: Won gold at the 2011 Tae Kwon Do World Championships.

- Kelly Smith: England Striker who competed in the Women’s Football World Cup earlier this year.

- Hayley Turner: Rode 83 winners in 2011, including two Group One wins.

- Beth Tweddle: Grabbed gold at European Gymnastics in Berlin.

- Chrissie Wellington: Added a fourth Ironman World Championship title in 2011.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It's time that women realised that just by jumping up and down and playing the Sex discrimination card, they are just making fools of themselves. My Christmas message to those in the burn your bra Brigade is concentrate on becoming first rate woman than trying to become second rate men.

Who is jumping up and down?

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've looked at that list of British women above. Realistically, to make the SPOTY short list you need to have won a world title in a sport that people watch on TV (even if it is only occasionally, or once every 4 years when the Olympics is on).

On that basis Adlington, Tweddle and Wellington are worthy of contention, certainly more so than - say - Andy Murray, who still hasn't won a Major.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You can't highlight ANYTHING a sportswoman has done this year? what about these.........

- Rebecca Adlington: Won a gold and silver medal at the World Aquatics Championship in Shanghai.

- Charlotte Edwards: Captain of the all conquering England Women’s Cricket Team.

- Tamsin Greenway: captain Of The Surrey Storm, bronze medal winner at the netball World Championships.

- Helen Jenkins: British No.1 Triathlete, qualified for Olympics after winning the Hyde Park Event.

- Kelly Smith: England Striker who competed in the Women’s Football World Cup earlier this year.

Yeah but Amir Khan won a fight and lost a fight

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

I just spent 10 minutes googling each one of them. some are FIT

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

While everything about Jessica does leave me in a state of teenage dribbling excitement, I can't endorse her being nominated on the strength of her being the "UK no.1", and seeing as she was disappointed with Silver, I think she would be slightly offended if we said that had been a great year for her. This time next year, as Olympic Champion and top poster-girl of teh 2012 Olympic games she will WALK this award.

But not this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here