Female sports personality of the year 2011

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
I just spent 10 minutes googling each one of them. some are FIT

Haw many "man size" belly wipes did you get through in the 10 mins ? :p

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
- Tamsin Greenway: captain Of The Surrey Storm, bronze medal winner at the netball World Championships.

- Kelly Smith: England Striker who competed in the Women's Football World Cup earlier this year.

- Hayley Turner: Rode 83 winners in 2011, including two Group One wins.

1. Being captain of a bronze winning team isn't good enough for sports personality of the year.
2. Competed in a world cup doesn't mean you should be sports personality of the year. And they lost to France.
3. There are plenty of male jockeys who have done more than that so she doesn't deserve sports personality of the year.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
1. Being captain of a bronze winning team isn't good enough for sports personality of the year.
2. Competed in a world cup doesn't mean you should be sports personality of the year. And they lost to France.
3. There are plenty of male jockeys who have done more than that so she doesn't deserve sports personality of the year.

Fair enough, what about Rebecca Adlington, Charlotte Edwards ,Sarah Stevenson, Beth Tweddle & Chrissie Wellington ? or do you not think they have been successful enough?

Last edited:

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Shirley the name of the award gives it away.......It isn't an award for winning things. It is an award for being a sporting PERSONALITY. That being said, Andy Murray should never get on the list.

If you have to ask who they are, they aren't a very big personality.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Fair enough, what about Rebecca Adlington, Charlotte Edwards ,Sarah Stevenson, Beth Tweddle & Chrissie Wellington ? or do you not think they have been successful enough?

Not successful enough. I bet Charlotte Edwards will not be making a "successful" christmas dinner. She needs to get back in the kitchen :moo:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think there is an imbalance in the sponsorship and media coverage of sports between men and women that does make it harder for women to get an equal crack of the whip. That's said women's sports in the UK this year has been pretty poor.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Dont forget Kerianne Payne - another WORLD champion.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
This a spooky thread for me as I went to Wells cathedral today. Outside on the pavement is dedicated to local girl and 1964 SPOTY Mary Rand and her Olympic long jump record is measured out on the pavement. Looks a long distance

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Dont forget Kerianne Payne - another WORLD champion.

sorry forgot about Kerri-Anne Payne, not only World champion but also FINA Womens open water swimmer of the Year. looks like the BBC forgot her as well (in spite of them reporting her success this year!)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You can hardly call competing a sporting achievement.

Andy Murray gets nominated every year for competing in majors.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm sorry but [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] is right - Andy Murray had no right to be on that list ahead of the world title winning women he mentions. Murray won a few nothing titles on the ATP tour while the big boys concentrated on the majors. He's won nothing of note beyond bread and butter stuff. Good player for sure, but shouldn't have been on the list.

And Darren Clark? I know he won one of the majors, but did he do anything else of note or was that just a 4 day purple patch?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm sorry but [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] is right - Andy Murray had no right to be on that list ahead of the world title winning women he mentions. Murray won a few nothing titles on the ATP tour while the big boys concentrated on the majors. He's won nothing of note beyond bread and butter stuff. Good player for sure, but shouldn't have been on the list.

And Darren Clark? I know he won one of the majors, but did he do anything else of note or was that just a 4 day purple patch?

Your two examples MASSIVELY contradict each other :lol:

The Murray equivalent of what Clarke did, would have been to play average all year, but win Wimbledon. If Murray had done so, he'd have WALKED the SPOTY.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Your two examples MASSIVELY contradict each other :lol:

The Murray equivalent of what Clarke did, would have been to play average all year, but win Wimbledon. If Murray had done so, he'd have WALKED the SPOTY.
Not really. I'd expect to see people who win the big prizes AND have a decent all-round year featuring on the list.

So Clark won a major, but what was he like throughout the year - did he win much on the European tour?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not really. I'd expect to see people who win the big prizes AND have a decent all-round year featuring on the list.

So Clark won a major, but what was he like throughout the year - did he win much on the European tour?

He won the Spanish Open the week before the Open, as it goes.

But thanks for clarifying. Your post was amusingly contradictory though - he shouldn't win it even though he won LOADS, because ONLY the big four events matter / he shouldn't win it even though he won the BIGGEST event of all, because he didn't win some other pointless ones....

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Bog standard washing up would be a more level playing field, but strength and speed would be a factor, therefore the World Champ would definitely be male.

I'm shocked that they don't do it more then if they're so bloody good at it. :wave:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can understand why my post comes across as contradictory. To clarify, neither winning one big prize all year alone in golf, nor winning a few trivial ones while missing all the big ones in tennis justifies inclusion ahead of female world champions IMO.

I feel like this because both have been done before, several times. Brits have won both golfing majors, and ATP tennis titles. They don't feel particularly "stand out".

However, should Murray win Wimbledon, he would deserve his place on the list, and not just for winning one big prize but because it hasn't been done since the early 70s and would be a monkey off the nation's back. The burden of expectation cannot be underestimated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here