Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Female commentators

Gully said:
What has happened to Greame LeSaux, he was being touted as the next big thing in commentating, can't say I have noticed him doing anything this season.

He flounced from the Beeb just before the World Cup when it was announced that Lawrenson was going to be the main 'secondary' commentator (or whatever you want to call it), working with Motson. Le Saux thought he deserved that honour so left in a huff.

Presumably he expected to walk into a job with ITV/Sky, but he hasn't.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Le Saux was an awful co-commentator. Giggling even more embarrassingly than "Motty", in between reciting several volumes' worth of the bleedin' obvious.

C.Gull

Jan 29, 2007
Once the BBC was the tops on presenting football,its standards have been slipping now they want to completly ruin it by having a female commentator!!!!!!!!!!,its a mans sport and we dont require a sex symbol to watch the great game.
It used to make me cringe watching that Gabby person interviewing big Ron.
No more I say,lets put an end to the very notion

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
C.Gull said:
It used to make me cringe watching that Gabby person interviewing big Ron.

Same here, but for the opposite reason.

I had never heard her commentaries until they played some on the Beeb Breakfast show this morning.

Too shrill for me I'm afraid-not dinosaur thinking, it's just that I find her voice is too high for me. Better than Linekar and Lawro to look at though...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There are all sorts of people with annoying voices - like Lawrenson, Winterburn, and you could go on - so that's hardly a valid criticism.

I think Jackie Oatley is very professional though she has been fast-tracked, nothing wrong with that per se, that is the way the Beeb works.

It is perhaps their backwards way of thinking to say, maybe three years ago, 'What HAVEN'T we got - I know, a top woman football commentator', and then choose someone to be groomed for it, rather than just promote people who are good enough, but that's the way they do it. Alison Mitchell is another on Five Live who is getting similar treatment.

Interestingly they were both road-tested at the snooker in recent times, Oatley three years ago and Mitchell two. So if there is a new woman presenting at the Crucible this year, she'll probably be director-general in a couple of years.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Problme is - its a mans world commentating, and its going to take a long time for that to change. Having said that the right woman who has the right voice AND the right looks should go far...

I think Sally traffic on Radio 2 has a fantastic voice - but she isn't really TV viewing material (why she's on the radio).... its hard to get both...

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Lawrenson really annoys me!! Such obvious comments :nono:

It is perhaps their backwards way of thinking to say, maybe three years ago, 'What HAVEN'T we got - I know, a top woman football commentator', and then choose someone to be groomed for it, rather than just promote people who are good enough, but that's the way they do it. Alison Mitchell is another on Five Live who is getting similar treatment.

I shuldn't worry too much if i were you. Soon, they won't have any football for her to commentate on anyway.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Hmm. I am afraid her commentary didn't work for me. It was as progressive towards my enjoyment as all seater stadia. I think she would be a good tennis commentator as she could carry on about how the fans are having a lovely time sitting in the sunshine.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Her commentary didn't work for me either.

I can just about deal with Clare Tomlinson presenting the Saturday night matches on Sky, but when a woman commentates on an actual match I find my concentration being diverted from the action and into an appraisal of whether she actually knows what she's talking about.

Female commentators have arrived at a bad time. What with all the diving, cheating and feigning that goes on these days the viewer needs total concentration with no distractions in order to follow the match.

20 or 30 years ago you knew when a foul was a foul because the blokes leg would be broken, nowadays you need a masterclass from RADA.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I don't like her because she's a girl and they know nothing about football. Unless they are lesbians.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
to be fair she is a radio commentator though. so we was describing to much. once she learns to let the pictures do the talking i think she can do ok.

she wasntawful, just it felt very alien indeed

British Bulldog said:
You could allways tell a woman by the quality of her rug. Thats the trouble with the modern woman most of them have'nt even got a rug and unless it involves being laid wall to wall they're not interested. It must've been one of life's little pleasures for a bloke coming home to a sweaty wife proudly displaying her freshly beaten fluffed up rug.

See? It's a life's pleasure for a woman to get a bikini-wax, then try it out with the milkman and the window-cleaner before the old man comes home to still find her spreadeagle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here