Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feeling guilty because I really could give a flying f*** if Liverpool go into admin

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's not so much that I don't care if liverpool will go into admin, get points deducted and tumble down the leagues, it's more I don't see it happening.

As mentioned above, even if they go into admin, they won't get a points deduction. Would RBS be more likely to convert the debt to shares and sell the club anyway? Even with a 9 point deduction liverpool will get enough to stay up.

It's all doom mongering either to get people tuned in/buying papers, or the media has for one reason or another decided to do their best to help liverpool get new owners, so are helping to pile on the pressure by painting these armageddon prophecies.

It's not going to happen, so I don't see the point in getting worked up about it (either for fear of it happening, or enjoyment of it happening).

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Why would anyone feel guilty or even sad about Liverpool's 'demise'? They are just a regular football club, no better or worse than the likes of Hull City, Torquay United, Stockport County or any other league club. Would you feel guilty if any of those clubs were relegated? In fact, Liverpool have had their turn in the sun, let someone else have a go.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
As mentioned above, even if they go into admin, they won't get a points deduction.
Disagree - if Liverpool do go into admin they will get points deducted. The fact that this happened to portsmouth last season makes it all the more likely the the PL would go through with it. However I think all the talk of admin is just sabre-rattling by RBS to hurry up the deal so think it unlikely that Liverpool will be put into admin anyway

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Disagree - if Liverpool do go into admin they will get points deducted. The fact that this happened to portsmouth last season makes it all the more likely the the PL would go through with it. However I think all the talk of admin is just sabre-rattling by RBS to hurry up the deal so think it unlikely that Liverpool will be put into admin anyway

They have the precedent of West Ham, where the owning company went into admin, but didn't punish the club. Portsmouth were never a premier league flag bearer, liverpool is. The premier league won't let it happen, by deducting Liverpool the points they are saying the club is in admin and that reflects poorly on the premier league, by not deducting points they will argue that the club is solvent and it's the business that owns Liverpool that are the problem, not the premier league.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
They have the precedent of West Ham, where the owning company went into admin, but didn't punish the club. Portsmouth were never a premier league flag bearer, liverpool is. The premier league won't let it happen, by deducting Liverpool the points they are saying the club is in admin and that reflects poorly on the premier league, by not deducting points they will argue that the club is solvent and it's the business that owns Liverpool that are the problem, not the premier league.

It's the same situation as happened with Southampton though, surely they would be within their rights to kick off if Liverpool were not deducted points?

It's the same situation as happened with Southampton though, surely they would be within their rights to kick off if Liverpool were not deducted points?

Different governing bodies though, as the Southampton decision was made by the Football League, and this decision is being made by the Premier League.

They should have to take the points deduction, in the extremely unlikely event that they are forced into administration, but the PL will find a reason not to purely because of who they are.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Acker is right.
Scudamore and the PL would never dock Liverpool points because it would damage "The Brand". With Pompey, Scudamore knew that come May they'd be out of his hair regardless, so it didn't matter as much. However, despite their recent trevails, Liverpool are still seen as one of the "flagship" Premier League clubs. So there is NO WAY they will be deducted points, it'd all be too embarrassing. Even if they go into admin, they'll get off on some kind of technicality. Guaranteed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In reality this is a terrible tragedy as the Liverpool from 1977 - 1985 really did rule Europe in footballing terms.

Bill Shankly would turn in his grave at this disgrace caused by these two tinpot Yanks.

Why is this a terrible tradegy? This is a club that believe that it's their god given right to be top of the league, and spent spent spent to achieve it. While other clubs practised sensible financial constraints, Liverpool felt they are the same as ManUtd, Chelsea, and so should spend financially the same, even though OT holds 30,000 more fans, 10,000 of which pay for hospitality etc.

It has been madness, not only by the owners, but by the fans and the pressure they exert. Liverpool should have accepted their financial position, and turned to youth as no doubt Shankly would have done. Instead, they pretty much dumped they youth policy and have bought bought bought, often bought crap, while home grown players such as Murphy & Warnock were sold off cheap but have gone on to be much better than the players that were bought in.

I hope they do suffer the penalty of a points deduction if their parent company goes into administration, it has to be a message to all clubs that you have to spend within your means.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I DO give a flying f*** about Liverpool's plight.

Whatever anyone says, Shankly and Paisley created something special to the extent that they're our most successful English club side in Europe. Ferguson has been at Man Utd for the best part of 25 years and is STILL chasing Liverpool's number of league titles.

They have good fans, generally knowledgeable and appreciative of good football.

They are about to be supplanted in the Top 4 hierarchy by Man City, a nouveaux riche johnny come lately outfit with no pedigree but bags of cash who will simply force up wages and transfer fees to breaking point.

The bottom line is that this could happen to any Premiership team. The points deduction isn't really about whether they'll go down but how much status will they lose in terms of attractiveness to sponsors and top class players.

They couldn't get the investment to build the stadium on the back of 2 Champions League Finals and 2nd place in the Prem, so how will they get it finishing mid-table?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They are about to be supplanted in the Top 4 hierarchy by Man City, a nouveaux riche johnny come lately outfit with no pedigree but bags of cash who will simply force up wages and transfer fees to breaking point.

What, Liverpool have done nothing to inflate transfers given they've pretty much out spent everyone over the last 5 years? :laugh:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In reality this is a terrible tragedy as the Liverpool from 1977 - 1985 really did rule Europe in footballing terms.

Bill Shankly would turn in his grave at this disgrace caused by these two tinpot Yanks.
Shankly would look at this situation and say, 'ah just like it was when I took over'.

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
I loathe Liverpool, but the greater footballing good prevails and while I would not be unhappy if they lost nine points and had to fight their way out of admin I don't want to see any club go to the wall. Of course that isn't going to happen in this case.

We know only too well what it means when muppets take over your club.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What, Liverpool have done nothing to inflate transfers given they've pretty much out spent everyone over the last 5 years? :laugh:

What are you talking about? Liverpool have only spent £20 million on a player once in their history - that was Fernando Torres.

Man City - on the other hand - have spent more than £20 million 8 TIMES in the last two years - Robinho, Lescott, Adebayor, Tevez, Milner, Balotelli, David Silva and Yaya Toure.

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
They have good fans, generally knowledgeable and appreciative of good football.

They also have just as many arses that follow them, including too many in Sussex. No special treatment for LFC. Though, I do think there is a bigger issue of ridding English football of the sort of owners and ownership model they have had for the last 4 years or so.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
What are you talking about? Liverpool have only spent £20 million on a player once in their history - that was Fernando Torres.

Man City - on the other hand - have spent more than £20 million 8 TIMES in the last two years - Robinho, Lescott, Adebayor, Tevez, Milner, Balotelli, David Silva and Yaya Toure.

Liverpool complete £20m signing of Alberto Aquilani....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Keane wasn't cheap and they lost a LOT of money on him in a short amount of time.

Alonso bought for £10.5 million - sold for £30million

Torres bought for £20 milion - value now maybe upwards of £40 million.

At the end of the day Keane was a terrible bit of business for Liverpool yet Benitez didn't want him in the first place. Yes, they lost £7million in 6 months, but that's not the same as City losing £20million on Robinho in 2 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here