Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feeding the family on low wage or benefits ?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Was there not a advert earlier this year by one of the supermarkets. Quote "Feed a family of four for £50 a week" Dosen't sound to much.

D

Deleted User X18H

My wife has become an expert at Corn Beef Hash. Very economical and with various vegetables extremely neutricious. The kids love it.

We got a variation of it, whilst in Cornwall.

And it's quick to prepare.

I reckon I could knock it up.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No evidence of her having a car, gym membership (what does that say about other peoples priorities?) but definitely a fist full of household bills and final demands and very much looked her home was social housing in the Hull area (the feature was on BBC 'Look North'). Not much food in the cupboard and £17 per month left for food. Looked a pretty genuine case to me.

What is genuine about 'child food poverty', whilst she chooses to pay a monthly satellite and broadband subscription, whilst 'not much food in the cupboard'.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Due to my partner being out of work we've had to slash our monthly shopping bill from £450+ to less than £200. We buy meat from out local butcher by saying we have £20 what can we get for it and all the basics from Aldi. The kids are shared with their perspective other parents who give them pizza, chips etc etc. So when they come to our house they get healthy, vegetable laden meals despite our meagre budget. There really is no excuse not being able to cook good wholesome food cheaply apart from stupidity !

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What annoys me when I go food shopping is that it seems like the unhealthy shit is the cheap option and the nice, healthy options are quite expensive. I bloody love things like raspberries, grapes, blackberries etc but at £3 a go I feel like I'm being raped if I buy them. But if I want 30 pieces of shortbread, six muffins, a bag of popcorn, bags of Haribo or chocolate puddings it's £1 or less a go. Someone needs to have a word and put the price up on the crap and make fruit and veg next to free.

I picked a large carrier bag fullnif blackberries this afternoon :)

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
What annoys me when I go food shopping is that it seems like the unhealthy shit is the cheap option and the nice, healthy options are quite expensive. I bloody love things like raspberries, grapes, blackberries etc but at £3 a go I feel like I'm being raped if I buy them. But if I want 30 pieces of shortbread, six muffins, a bag of popcorn, bags of Haribo or chocolate puddings it's £1 or less a go. Someone needs to have a word and put the price up on the crap and make fruit and veg next to free.

Not being rude but you have to be a f***ing moron buying blackberries from a supermarket when you can pick them for free anywhere on the downs !

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Due to my partner being out of work we've had to slash our monthly shopping bill from £450+ to less than £200. We buy meat from out local butcher by saying we have £20 what can we get for it and all the basics from Aldi. The kids are shared with their perspective other parents who give them pizza, chips etc etc. So when they come to our house they get healthy, vegetable laden meals despite our meagre budget. There really is no excuse not being able to cook good wholesome food cheaply apart from stupidity !

People on benefits get about £60 a week ok plus mayby £60 for their child Once their bills are paid nowhere near £50 a week left for food ayou might not think it but you are well off

Higham Seagull Army

May 5, 2008
northants
Interesting to read posts on the thread from people of all social standing ,lots of sweeping statements along with genuine good advice. As a family man we find it a struggle from week to week due to the increases in everything.
Dont wish to get all heavy and that but we are paying the price for capitalism's faults , not just with our jobs and welfare but what we can afford to feed our kids with .
I dont see any bankers in my local Lidl .

Simplistic

Yes it is .

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Anyone see the programme about the rationing during the war last night?

Those land girls looked very healthy on whatever they where being feed.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
People on benefits get about £60 a week ok plus mayby £60 for their child Once their bills are paid nowhere near £50 a week left for food ayou might not think it but you are well off

I agree it's not easy and I'd probably be considered well off but the point is that it's still cheaper financially to eat healthily that it is to eat crap ( albeit you have to invest more time and imagination ).

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As a student, I used to buy value pasta, tuna, chicken, spices, cheap fIsh, tinned tomatoes ad finitum. Cheap and cheerful.

Not impossible to eat relatively well on a small budget.

Supermarkets are profit driven. Do they tend to make more profit on their own brand or other brands?

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
I have the oerfect solution sens the kids out scumping You wil have alll the apples and pears you can eat
and all that garden hopping will keep them as fit as fiddles

not this year they wont, one pear on my tree that usually gave me hundreds,. bad weather meant that pollination didnt occur and the blossom fell ..... you could train them up ready for next year

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Family that lives opposite me currently in Florida for 2 weeks --- havent worked for the 2 years they have lived there --- work that one out----went last year as well.
Not jealous like!!!! Look pretty well fed to me.

Camicus

All these people on benefits sat at home doing f*ck all, grow your own veg, it costs next to nothing to grow and I brew my own bitter,lager and cider that works out at only 40p a pint.
Problem is that some, not all but some people on benefits just get up halfway through the day watch Jeremy Kyle till 3pm and when the kids get home bung in the microwave a monosodiumglutimate burger from Iceland and let the kids drink Coke and play computer games all night.
Makes you wonder how much of the Child Benefit and Income support goes on fags and booze.
Plus where do they get the money for their mobiles

You should spend less time reading the daily mail Fella.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Blimey so as a single mum you should give up broadband/sky, not run a car, not have any luxuries but still go to work full time and then spend the few minutes you have after rushing in from work cooking. So how do you get access to the rest of the world, who incidently are now all on email/internet. How do you get to work if you are not in a large town location if you dont have a car. How do you find the will to live in the first place? Often these people are put in a situation through no fault of their own. It wasnt the life they planned.
Going back to the original post, yes parents should feed their kids better, those on benefits and also those who are not. I do mostly cook from fresh and include plenty of fruit/veg but will also use the freezer occasionally just to give myself a break. I work and couldnt live without the car - its a necessity for work, not a luxury. Its not fun or easy being in this situation but you do what you can for your kids. I dont smoke and have had to give up watching the Albion as just cant afford it anymore, so please try not to judge people who are all in different situations and circumstances. By the way, this isnt meant as a poor me post! lol. I am happy with my lot, my girls are brilliant and we are all happy and healthy, and I can always come on here to find out about the Albion! I think its best to refrain from judging others until you have lived their life.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Maybe, but perhaps they are using Sky to access all of those cooking channels to help them learn about how to prepare fresh ingrediants! :p :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Family that lives opposite me currently in Florida for 2 weeks --- havent worked for the 2 years they have lived there --- work that one out----went last year as well.
Not jealous like!!!! Look pretty well fed to me.

Have they told you that they're on benefits or maybe they work from home?

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Blimey so as a single mum you should give up broadband/sky, not run a car, not have any luxuries but still go to work full time and then spend the few minutes you have after rushing in from work cooking. So how do you get access to the rest of the world, who incidently are now all on email/internet. How do you get to work if you are not in a large town location if you dont have a car. How do you find the will to live in the first place? Often these people are put in a situation through no fault of their own. It wasnt the life they planned.
Going back to the original post, yes parents should feed their kids better, those on benefits and also those who are not. I do mostly cook from fresh and include plenty of fruit/veg but will also use the freezer occasionally just to give myself a break. I work and couldnt live without the car - its a necessity for work, not a luxury. Its not fun or easy being in this situation but you do what you can for your kids. I dont smoke and have had to give up watching the Albion as just cant afford it anymore, so please try not to judge people who are all in different situations and circumstances. By the way, this isnt meant as a poor me post! lol. I am happy with my lot, my girls are brilliant and we are all happy and healthy, and I can always come on here to find out about the Albion! I think its best to refrain from judging others until you have lived their life.

Here here - xx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here