Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feeding the family on low wage or benefits ?

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
For cheap food I would imagine quiet a healthy way to go would be copy The Planet India curry house menu.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Cooking cheaply (or rather, inexpensively) is often easiest and most fun.

Off the top of my head, meals that can be done for two for under three quid - assuming a reasonable stock of salt, pepper, herbs, garlic...

Omelette (eggs, basically)
Spanish omelette (eggs, onion, potato)
Bean stew (onion, various beans, tomatoes, herbs)
Pasta with sauce (pasta, onions, tomatoes, herbs / pasta, cheese, milk, flour)
Roasted vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, courgettes, potatoes, rosemary - the latter you should NEVER need to buy)

Once you throw meat into the equation, you're looking at bit more money, but even a Sunday roast chicken and trimmings will weigh in at about £7.00 for two, and you ought to get leftovers.

Have done most of those at some stage however my gluten free diet means pasta is a more expensive option for me: tesco value pasta 30p for 500g, my pasta £1.40 for 500g.

Last edited:

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
You could always make your own.

Peasy.

Again once you make it gluten free it's not a cheap option.
However I'm lucky that me and my partner both receive decent wages so it's not a big issue for us (not to say we don't have to be careful but not as much as some of the people on this thread)

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Nice if you have one. Several farm shops round this area but no such thing as a green grocer in my village or Horsham itself

Leek has two,staff available to help you if you want. I just go in pick what i want have a bit or verbal 'pay up and go'

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
and she would say 'Uwinsc' can you find me the Banana's ? You know the rest. If dont TEACH YOURSELF AND YOUR KIDS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here