Federico Turienzo - signed !

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Seagulls to land Argentine
by Alex Dunn - created on 26 Jul 2005
SKY BET - NEW SEASON
Who will win The Championship? Click here for the odds.

Player profiles:
Maheta Molango
Team Pages:
Brighton & Hove Albion
Lincoln CityBrighton have agreed a deal with Argentine trialist Federico Turienzo, who will now return to his homeland before putting pen to paper.

The 22-year-old striker has impressed whilst on trial at the Withdean Stadium and has done enough for Seagulls boss Mark McGhee to pursue his signature.

Turienzo is thought to play like a traditional English centre-forward and McGhee admits he has been impressed with the player's performances in training.

"[The deal] maybe won't happen in the next few days because international clearance and work permits take a bit of time, but we're determined to sign him,'' McGhee told the club's official website.

"He's completed his medical, and there were no problems so we put him in the team photo in the hope that he will be a player for us next season.

"He's obviously a little bit of a gamble, but we've seen him play once, we've seen him training, and we've seen a video of him and we're impressed by what we see.

"We've spoken to people who know him, we've spoken to people who know what type of player he is and we're encouraged by that."

Meanwhile, the player has expressed his own delight at sealing a move to the Championship outfit.

"I am pleased to be signing for a Championship club, an important club like Brighton,'' said Turienzo.

"I will need time to adapt to The Championship, but I just want to get on and start playing as soon as possible."

Meanwhile, Turienzo's arrival could hasten the departure of Maheta Molango - who has been on trial at Lincoln.

Imps chief Keith Alexander has confirmed that he is keen on landing the 22-year-old Swiss born striker on a season-long loan deal.

''I've been in touch with Brighton and the ball is in their court now,'' Alexander told the Lincolnshire Echo.

''He has impressed me and I really would like to take him for a season so that I can have a really good look at him.''

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
That would mean the entire brighton squad has less than 1/100th of crouchs skill level

sounds about right:)

thats nothing to do with our team being crap. its to do with the fact that crouch is simply amazing

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Scotty M said:
sounds about right:)

thats nothing to do with our team being crap. its to do with the fact that crouch is simply amazing

Lately you have written some shockingly bad opinions of players but this statement is the work of a man hanging onto the threads of sanity.

Crouch is an average Prem player, who the team he was at before saints took a 3 million loss just to get him off their books.

He has been a big success for all of one season, and is still partly responsible for Saints going down as with one nil up with 30 seconds to go he gave the ball straight to the Everton keeper who banged it up front for Bent to equalise.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I hope Molango stays & gets a chance some time, although it's pretty obvious that MM doesn't rate him.
It was nice to see a player so enthusiastic to play for the Albion & he does have talent.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Looks like McGhee wants him gone but Lincoln are after a one season loan with a view to buy at the end. He's in today's Lincolnshire Echo: "It's true to say I wouldn't be looking for a fee if Maheta left the club - but it's not as easy as simply allowing him to go somewhere else. Lincoln have been in touch and I'll make a decision soon."

I've been in touch with Brighton and the ball is in their court now," said Alexander. "He has impressed me and I would like to take him for a season so I can have a really good look at him."

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
smudge said:
I hope Molango stays & gets a chance some time, although it's pretty obvious that MM doesn't rate him.
It was nice to see a player so enthusiastic to play for the Albion & he does have talent.

I think MM does rate him but maybe the year will get him used to the English style of play.
Then we could take him back and utilise him as MM hoped we would.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Uncle Buck said:
Brighton fans seem to be able to settle for shite like Le Supermarche Chariot because he tries

eh? I can think of hardly anybody on this list or in the wider diaspora of Albion fans who are happy to settle for the Trolley.

Give the Argie a chance I say. And if he scores a few hand of god goals for us before becoming extremely fat and getting a serious recreational drugs habit; well, who am I to complain?

Not that I'm imposing any national stereotypes here, you understand.

:)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yorkie said:
I think MM does rate him but maybe the year will get him used to the English style of play.
Then we could take him back and utilise him as MM hoped we would.

I couldn't agree more Yorkie. I really don't think we should be looking to sell Molango just yet. Let's see how he develops next season. I still believe that he could be a major asset for us in time.

:clap2: :clap2:

Well, welcome Federico, to the Argy-shirt wearing English Seagulls :clap2: And welcome to our newest NSC member Federico :clap: God help your English lessons if you're the same person :lolol:

Having listened carefully to McGhee's extended explanation of the player's strengths and the role he will play in the team at the supp. club AGM last night, I'm pretty excited.

I was one of those at Lewes who was not overly impressed in the 60 minutes I saw, but again I fell into the familar layman's trap of looking at what a new player cannot do, rather than what he can do, much as I did initially when I saw Currie at Stevenage pre-season and couldn't instantly see the class.

The aspect of Turienzo's game that did look promising at Lewes in hindsight was his neat touches and lay-off work around the penalty box, and this is indeed the reason why we've signed him.

McGhee wants a player who is his best with his back to goal, dropping a little bit deeper than the most advanced striker and providing the link between midfield and our best finisher. Turienzo's strengths are precisely that. McGhee has compared him to Crouch, another good parallel perhaps would be a young Sheringham. The aim is to turn us into more of a pure footballing team where the approach work is on the ground.

McGhee detailed the homework that had been put in on the new boy. It's the same old thing, we see the tip of the iceberg in a run-out at Lewes, McGhee sees the entire rock. He has been closely monitored in training, there has been extensive work on his past performances on video. And, crucially, glowing testamonials have been obtained from acknowledged experts in the game that McGhee trusts 100 per cent.

His signing does give McGhee good options and a good selection dilemma. Turienzo will initially put a lot of pressure on Leon Knight I feel, if Leon does not come though straight away in providing the link between midfield and Kazza. But McGhee even wants to find a way to get all 3 of these players on the pitch at once. That would be tricky as we've struggled playing 4-3-3 recently (our defensive shape gets exposed too easily) and playing Knight on the left-wing has had a mixed return.

I don't think Turienzo's role is to be the prolific goal-scorer of the team (similar to Big Mac) but he will still need to get a decent share though.

Of course the usual NSC pantomime/obsessional pyschosis is to discuss the burning implications for Big Mac rather than a positive discussion of how Turienzo is going to change and improve our playing style.

It will have knock-on effects for the other squad forwards but it remains a very fluid situation given our first-choice pairing of Kazza and Leon have a lot to prove, Leon especially after his underperforming season last year.

I think Malongo is out of the picture now totally - McGhee would not lose too much sleep if Lincoln took over his contract - that was the tone if not the words of his comments last night.

The other 3, Big Mac, McPhee and Jake - one or two of those will be needed for the squad and/or one or two of those will need to be farmed out to clubs to get games, McPhee rather than Big Mac being the more likelier one who would benefit from such an experience IMHO - for the reasons Y2Dave gave.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Scotty M said:
if hes got 1/100th of crouchs ability he will be by far the best player in the squad
:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester::jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Either LI was taking shorthand or has a photographic memory because that is word for word what was said last night.

I'm excited too. Our squad is changing and for the better.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
London Irish said:
The aim is to turn us into more of a pure footballing team where the approach work is on the ground.

now THAT gets me excited.

London Irish said:

His signing does give McGhee good options and a good selection dilemma. Turienzo will initially put a lot of pressure on Leon Knight I feel, if Leon does not come though straight away in providing the link between midfield and Kazza. But McGhee even wants to find a way to get all 3 of these players on the pitch at once. That would be tricky as we've struggled playing 4-3-3 recently (our defensive shape gets exposed too easily) and playing Knight on the left-wing has had a mixed return.

I was under the impression (from reading Bury boards etc.) that CKR was best played as an attacking midfielder, so I assumed in a Leon/Colin partnership up front it would be Leon who was the more out and out striker and Kazim Richards would be the link between midfield and attack? What have I missed?

I kept reading that CKR's best position is 'in the hole' and so presumed that when Turienzo, Knight and CKR all played it would be in a 4-3-1-2 type formation?

Stumpy Tim

London Irish said:
Having listened carefully to McGhee's extended explanation of the player's strengths and the role he will play in the team at the supp. club AGM last night, I'm pretty excited.

LI agrees with McGhee shock. Let's face it, you wouldn't question him if he fielded a fart up front

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I wonder if LI is as voiciferous at these public events as he is on a keyboard.

Does anyone actually know him or would anyone think they might have spotted him at such an event?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here