Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Obscure Memory of Withdean Stadium

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
The changing of the home & away dug-outs

And then back again!

And the non-see through perspex so we couldn't see the away subs/managers/physios.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Leon's goal against Sheffield Weds when he ran back and celebrated in front of their dugout. Litte did we know then... Saddest was probably Charlie Oatway's career ending injury, seeing him be carried off on a stretcher. Mark Walton shouting in a cod Welsh accent

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
That own goal where our keeper (Mark Walton?) whacked it at our centre-half's arse. I think it was Andy Crosby's arse.

And Danny Cullip's home debut against Chester. In the first half, he was WANK. Second half, he looked a different player. It turns out he was more often than not like the second half version.

I'm pretty sure Walton's clanger was in that very game.

Oddly enough, my favourite obscure memory of Withdean was from that match too - American Football coach turned Chester Manager-Chairman Terry Smith trying to call a time-out!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The old chap in the mobility scooter invading the pitch after the Man City game.

robbo2u

Feb 25, 2009
West Sussex
Watching a game from a tree in the first season (with a few tinnies of course) and falling out of said tree when we scored :lolol:

Was this against Ipswich when we had to get a point to guarantee survival in the Champioship?

If so i remember you though i missed your fall lol :lol:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Rocket man certainly - SO funny, just how many people seemed always to forget about the rockets, especially in all the tumult of a goal just having been scored. Cue near-heart attacks spreading like tsunamis across the North stand seconds later. And the McMahon incident mentioned above too - I have NEVER seen anyone work themselves into being so angry, ever. His meatily bald head went so red it was practically glowing, like one of those lights they put on the top of tall buildings to stop planes flying into them.

However, obscurity is the watchword of this thread: "we're the north stand Brighton boys" being sung by half the south stand during the first game when we had to be moved over, maybe against Swansea? Or when a packed number 5 bus was jerkingly unable to depart, leaving one teenage wag to shout out "now, find the biting point...". Maybe you had to be there etc.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I know the goal itself isn't exactly obscure, but I vividly remember the split second of stunned silence that preceded the wild celebration when Zamora volleyed that goal against Halifax. It really did feel as it time stood still for a moment, there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dean Cox's spectacular 45 YARD volleyed own-goal that was CRUELLY ruled out, as the ball had just crossed the line. At the time I was relieved it didn't count, but in hindsight, what a pity! It would have been the greatest OG in the history of the game...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rocket Man having to stop because one of his rockets went astray and set fire to some of the earth under the South Stand.

3,000 people turning up to the Youth Team match against Chelsea, and only one turnstile being operated. Dick Knight had to go on to the PA and ask everyone to honestly pay a fiver as the buckets were passed around.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I liked the BILLY SHARP game, when he acted like a six-year old, and got loads of stick from the crowd, then ultimately completely lost it. Funny.

"cry in a minute, he's gonna cry in a minute "
Whoever started that chant had a moment of pure genius.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I also liked the rendition of the oompah loompah song aimed at Dennis Wise

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Lots - far too many to mention - but...

The Christmas mudbath against Southend, the pitch looked like the Somme, with the groundsman trying to paint some sort of white line onto fresh soaking wet mud in front of the south stand.

My son was a ball boy againt QPR in the early days when the away fans went in what is now the family stand. Defending a lead he heroically kept the ball back, and didnt throw it back to the QPR player - for as long as he could. The QPR fans were - unsurprisingly - baying for his blood.

Swindon the playoff game, pissing down with rain. Urging them to 'hit the bar' in the penalty shootout - which they did.

Happy days

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here