BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
First blood
Life of Brian
The fugitive

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Although Mr Trufflehound has mentioned A Matter of Life and Death (superb & my favourite film) how can you ignore other Powell & Pressburger efforts such as The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp, Black Narcissus, Red Shoes and A Canterbury Tale amongst others?

Not Hollywood & made in the last 20 years perhaps?

Oh and talking of 'British' Film makers how about some Ridley Scott - Alien has already been mentioned but what about Blade Runner and his brilliant debut film The Duellists?

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
My top 27 films

Schindler's List
ET - The Extraterrestrial
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Downfall
The Machinist
August Rush
Gladiator
The Elephant Man
Field of Dreams
Somewhere in Time
Magnolia
Napolean Dynamite
The Silence of the Lambs
Eraserhead
Saving Private Ryan
Pulp Fiction
The English Patient
Se7en
Cinderella Man
Aliens
The Shawshank Redemption
GlenGarry Glen Ross
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Gran Torino
Platoon
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Sideways

Pretty good list. Seen most of them but particular love the ones highlighted..

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Not sure about it being my all time favourite as that changes every day, depending on mood..
However, I always find "The Pianist" very moving.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Although Mr Trufflehound has mentioned A Matter of Life and Death (superb & my favourite film) how can you ignore other Powell & Pressburger efforts such as The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp, Black Narcissus, Red Shoes and A Canterbury Tale amongst others?

Not Hollywood & made in the last 20 years perhaps?

Oh and talking of 'British' Film makers how about some Ridley Scott - Alien has already been mentioned but what about Blade Runner and his brilliant debut film The Duellists?

I love Powell and Pressburger films: A Canterbury Tale is my favourite but I could watch them all.

And The Duellists has to be one of the most under-rated films ever. It's hardly ever mentioned but is, as you say, superb.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I love Powell and Pressburger films: A Canterbury Tale is my favourite but I could watch them all.

And The Duellists has to be one of the most under-rated films ever. It's hardly ever mentioned but is, as you say, superb.

Apparently The Duellists was made for less than a million dollars which is probably what the catering bill would be for some Hollywood Schlock today - just look at the cast and wonder how it was done.....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Apparently The Duellists was made for less than a million dollars which is probably what the catering bill would be for some Hollywood Schlock today - just look at the cast and wonder how it was done.....

Just seen that it's for sale on Amazon for under £4 - I think I'll have to buy that to watch again

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

All excellent. You need to add I Know Where I'm Going! to that list... :thumbsup:

I watched one of Michael Powell's last films (post Pressburger) for the first time the other day: They're a Weird Mob. Not that great as a film to be honest, but a fascinating snapshot of Sydney as it was in the mid-1960s...

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
My favourite film of all time is "Trouble In Paradise". Second and third are "The Bitter Tea Of General Yen" and "Alice Adams".

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The Lives of Others or the original German title Das Leben der Anderen. Awesome awesome movie. Oldboy also.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
The Lives of Others or the original German title Das Leben der Anderen. Awesome awesome movie. Oldboy also.

Two of my favourites too.

I'll add Cidade De Deus (City of God), Pulp Fiction, Leon, The Usual Suspects and American Beauty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here