The Shawshank Redemption
GlenGarry Glen Ross
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Gran Torino
Platoon
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Sideways

Gareth

There's not a single film there more than 35 years old - there aren't many that are more than 20. Have you never watched any films before 1975? You're missing out on a great many gems.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Loads. Recommend some to me please.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My top 10 films

Schindler's List
ET - The Extraterrestrial
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Downfall
The Machinist
August Rush
500 days of Summer
Gladiator
The Elephant Man
Somewhere in Time

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
For me, i never get tired of watching The Third Man. Bloody marvellous and moody and deliberately muddled.
Harry Lime emerging from the shadowy doorstep and his adlib speech on the Switzerland sole invention, the cuckoo clock, never fail to amuse and thrill me. And the twinging, twanging end score is gripping. An overall bloody excellent film.

"Ruthless People" - love it especially Danny DeVito's and Bette Midlers scenery chewing performances.
Spinal Tap - "This one goes up to 11".
Brighton Rock - Eagerly anticipating the forthcoming '60's set remake to see how it compares to the B&W original.
Nanny McPhee (yes honest) - Have yet to see the second one and believe a third is imminent.
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian, interesting to see how the third film - Voyage of the Dawn Treader - shapes up.
Wallace and Grommit in the Curse of the Were Rabbit - "...The beast isn't actually dead yet" gets me everytime.

For me, i never get tired of watching The Third Man. Bloody marvellous and moody and deliberately muddled.
Harry Lime emerging from the shadowy doorstep and his adlib speech on the Switzerland sole invention, the cuckoo clock, never fail to amuse and thrill me. And the twinging, twanging end score is gripping. An overall bloody excellent film.

Meade's Ball in a "normal" posting shock!

Seriously MB I love your postings, they always bring a (sometimes confused) smile to my face.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
King Ralph :p
Empire of the Sun
Godfather 1 & 2
Gangster No.1
Quadrophenia
A Beautiful Mind

Last edited:

...And I forgot "Master and Commander" - brilliant atmospheric file of what it was probably like on an English man 'o war, and the finest ever representation of a Napoleonic era naval officer by an antipodean (Russell Crowe). As one review said at the time he played it as though he had been born to command a sailing frigate.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Loads. Recommend some to me please.

As recommended by MB and TLO, The Third Man is excellent. Casablanca contains more good quotes than other film; Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep and The Big Heat are brilliant thrillers. The Searchers and the Man who shot Liberty Valance are great westerns. Virtually all of Hitchcock's films are worth a look - especially his golden period of the 50s and early 60s. IMO Bringing up Baby is the funniest comedy of all time but Preston Sturges' films are worth catching.

As your list is nearly all American, I'd suggest Un condamne a mort s'est echappe (accents missing there) - the best prison breakout film ever and Un bout de souffle, the first modern gangster film. Plus, of course, my favourite ever film Les Enfants du Paradis

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
My top 27 films

Schindler's List
ET - The Extraterrestrial
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Downfall
The Machinist
August Rush
Gladiator
The Elephant Man
Field of Dreams
Somewhere in Time
Magnolia
Napolean Dynamite
The Silence of the Lambs
Eraserhead
Saving Private Ryan
Pulp Fiction
The English Patient
Se7en
Cinderella Man
Aliens
The Shawshank Redemption
GlenGarry Glen Ross
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Gran Torino
Platoon
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Sideways

Some great selections there Mr Spielberg - Schindlers List, Se7en, Magnolia, ET, Silence of the Lambs, Saving Private Ryan, Pulp Fiction and Gran Torino are all in my top 10 or so. I'd add Best in Show, Signs, Up, Toy Story, Kill Bill and No Country for Old Men and the first 3 Indiana Jones films.

Stumpy Tim

Probably Don't Look Now for me. I love The Birds too. Of modern films, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is probably my favourite. I think Schindlers List is brilliant, but that last scene when he's crying & stuff is so over the top it ruins the rest - yes we know it's sad, no need to ram it down our throats like that

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
rocky IV
green street 1

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
When i was a teenager i loved Aliens (for the action), now i'm older i think Alien is by far the better film. Always imitated never bettered.

You can pick up the Alien Quadroligy boxset (with the superior version of Alien 3) for less than a tenner nowadays. One of the few boxsets where all the dvd extras are actually worth watching.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
A lot of my favourites have already been listed, Goodfellas, Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, Usual Suspects, Se7en but of those that haven't I will throw into the ring a different kind of film....Airplane

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here