Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Counties in England

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Tooting Gull said:
But it's next to Wales. Surely that must count for something.

It's also full of castles built to try and keep the Welsh out. They know what they're doing up there.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The Garden of England obviously but after that Cornwall is truly amazing.
There's something about the light and the air

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Obviously Sussex (I refuse to say East & West) but for beauty I like Devon and Cumbria.

Shropshire is lovely as is most of North Yorkshire. I have a soft spot for South Yorks solely for the inlaws there.

I like Somerset and Dorset for holidays

Sussex stands out (and I'm homesick)

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Had a rather nice time in Corwall this last week.

And Cheshire will be up there. Obviously.

While I'm here, who was that new bloke doing Bargin Hunt this morning? Not a patch on DD.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Will I be on my own if I say Surrey? (County of my birth).

OK, I won't say it then. Actually though my second favourite is Somerset. Holiday destination when I was a boy, brilliant place for cricket tours and my Dad now lives there (near Castle Cary if you're interested).

Voroshilov said:
Cornwall is horrid - bleak and full of inbred yocels with an inflated sense of importance.
The problem with Cornwall is that it's NOT full of yokels. It's full of brummies who have "retired to the seaside" and don't give a toss for their adopted county.

My favourites? Where to start? Dorset, probably. But Cornwall is up there, along with North Yorkshire, Shropshire and rural Norfolk. Anywhere that has a strong sense of its own identity does something for me. So add in Northumberland, Durham, the rest of Yorkshire, Lancashire and a few others. But what the hell is the point of Buckinghamshire?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sussex is the best, naturally.

Good

Devon (mainly the coast)
Dorset (mainly the coast)
Cornwall (aarr)
Kent (except the coast - nuclear power plants)
Cumbria (except the coast - nuclear power plants)
Buckinghamshire (except Wycombe - what sort of valley is that that they put it in? Oh, and Milton Keynes :shootself )
Gwynedd & Clwyd (that's where you find Snowdon)

Awful

Surrey (stockbrokers and motorways)
Hertfordshire (f***ing awful - not one redeeming feature. Probably why Posh & Becks chose to live there)
All of East Anglia (flat and uninspiring)
Gwynedd & Clwyd (that's where you find the arrogant Welshmen)
Merseyside (Scousers - say no more)

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The Large One said:
Cumbria (except the coast - nuclear power plants)

There aren't any nuclear power plants in Cumbria. Windscale and Calder Hall have both shut down... Sellafield is a reprocessing plant. It gets waste from other power plants, cleans it up a bit, then gets rid of it.

And the north Cumbrian coast... anywhere north of Maryport... is fabulous, with superb views of Scotland and the Solway.

Got to go for

2. Cumbria
3. Greater Manchester (I'm a total urbanite at heart, and it's where I used to live and work. And when I say Greater Manchester, I exclude Stockport. Now that's a dump).
4. Scotland
5. Cork
6. Australia

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Lord Bracknell said:
The problem with Cornwall is that it's NOT full of yokels. It's full of brummies who have "retired to the seaside" and don't give a toss for their adopted county.

Funny you should say that - when I was in Torquay for a night I was amazed by the high number of Brummies all around. Saying that, while in Cornwall I didn't hear many, but then I was in places swarming in tourists, me being one. :blush:

One of the few genuine Cornish I spoke to must be commened on his knowledge of the Albion - soon as I mentioned the Seagulls, he was off on one about the Hereford game all those years ago... Credit where it's due - he knew his football!

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Without a shadow of a doubt it has to be Cornwall.

Absolutely stunning scenery, very friendly locals, and Kelly's Ice Cream.

Beautiful little villages such as Mevagissey and Fowey, make it a great place to relax and chillout :clap:

So my top 3 are as follows....

1 - Cornwall
2 - Devon
3 - Nottinghamshire

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Would have to be Norfolk (much of the family hail from there originally and if I have a second team it would be Norwich, it's great for birdwatching, another passion of mine apart from the Albion, and has great pubs.

For sheer beauty, hard to beat Devon and Shropshire, though the Peak District part of Derbyshire and North Yorkshire also take some beating.

Lord Bracknell, I agree with you over the north part of Buckinghamshire, though the Chilterns are extremely attractive. The only problem is that they are full of stockbrokers with fast cars, and property that only they can afford.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Staffordshire!

Dunkstar, where are you, are you blind with a poor sense of smell and a love of inbreds ?

Only joking, Staffordshire (away from Sjoke) is a great county. Staffs Moorlands is greatly under-rated, and anyway, it has been the birth place of my two children, both Albion supporters ! :clap2: :clap2:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Lush said:
Wiltshire - there's something very spiritual about it.

Yep, its full of spaced-out freaks surrounding our villages of Amesbury and the like, looking for either hippies or druids to go to Stonehenge and Woodhenge, and anything else that looks interesting! :angry: :lolol:

And :salute: to everyone who clearly doesn't like Berkshire. You bunch of rurals, you lot. Can't handle urbanness with decent rural areas and places with history like Windsor and Ascot. Not to mention the delights of Sunningdale, Wentworth, and Henley-on-Thames just across the border. Just forget that Reading and Slough are there, and its a quality-looking county.

Pah! Stick to your hunting down in Sussex and Hampshoire way. ;)

Personally I like Derbyshire and Cheshire. And the bit especially where the two meet!

Sam

Formerly "Sambo"
Jul 22, 2003
Oxfordshire
from having holidays by the sea in cornwall when i was a kid , id have to say cornwall is 2nd, then devon or somerset

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here