Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Cheese

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nearly all cheeses, apart from that pre-wrapped stuff you get in supermarkets. My favourite of all is probably Maroilles but I'm fond of all blue cheeses too - especially St Agur and really strong Gorgonzola.

Don't forget we have some great Sussex cheeses: Sussex Yeoman, Duddleswell, Lord of the Hundreds .... marvellous stuff.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Depends what it is on, how can you have a good pizza without mozzarella, a meaty pasta sauce without a topping of parmesan or beat the eye watering strength of a really decent farmhouse cheddar.

One of the nicest cheeses I have eaten was in France and it is called Munster, at least it think it was. It smells like you really shouldn't be eating it, you are supposed to eat cumin seeds at the same time so your breath doesn't smell like death afterwards...have to admit that I took some convincing to actually eat the stuff.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of the nicest cheeses I have eaten was in France and it is called Munster, at least it think it was. It smells like you really shouldn't be eating it, you are supposed to eat cumin seeds at the same time so your breath doesn't smell like death afterwards...have to admit that I took some convincing to actually eat the stuff.

Munster's great - the cheese stall in the Open Market sells it and very nice it is too.

If you like that, you really should try Maroilles, it's similar to Munster but a bit stronger. It could probably revive a corpse.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Gwylan...that sounds like my sort of challenge!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...freshly picked basil leaves, virgin olive oil and a little ground black pepper!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gwylan...that sounds like my sort of challenge!

It's hard to find in England though..I see you're in Glos so the Open Market is little good to you.

It's great stuff though. I was once at a cheese stall in France and was asked by an American (who had heard me speaking French) what cheese to buy.

He told me that he liked really strong cheeses so naturally I recommended Maroilles but warned him that it was very strong. "Hey, that doesn't worry me," he said, "I like it strong". I warned him again that it was really, really strong but he assured that the stronger it was, the more he liked it. So, I asked for a sample, the septic took one taste and promptly spat it out "That's too goddamn strong," he whimpered and slunk off - no doubt to find some Coca Cola or something.

That's what you get if you're used to cheese in a squeezy bottle.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Davidstow mature cheddar.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I got absolutely f***ed over at a market in Isegeac a couple of weeks ago buying some Gruyere. I've got enough for about 2 years and am making sure i enjoy it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've become rather partial to those little Dairylea triangles encased in blue wax.
They don't taste of much, but I find them oddly satisfying.

I got absolutely f***ed over at a market in Isegeac a couple of weeks ago buying some Gruyere. I've got enough for about 2 years and am making sure i enjoy it.

Once bought one of those trugs of cheese or whatever they are called, about 12 kg of mature blue stilton,

I froze it, gave it way, ate it and ate it, for years, until I could not face it anymore:thud:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

that happened to me in that market!!! F**king expensive too....same cheese in the supermarket down the road at half the price!!!

lovely place to chill out and wander about though...have you a place out there?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
that happened to me in that market!!! F**king expensive too....same cheese in the supermarket down the road at half the price!!!

lovely place to chill out and wander about though...have you a place out there?

No just spent a week on holiday about 20 kms down the road. Everything about the area was stunning apart from two things. The Ex Pats and the tosser who rooked me on the cheese stand!

He MADE us try his cheese and to be honest it was very good so we thought we'd have a bit, told him to cut of a small bit and he almost cuts this block in half, then refuses to cut it any smaller and I became the pround owner of 50 quids worth of cheese!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No just spent a week on holiday about 20 kms down the road. Everything about the area was stunning apart from two things. The Ex Pats and the tosser who rooked me on the cheese stand!

He MADE us try his cheese and to be honest it was very good so we thought we'd have a bit, told him to cut of a small bit and he almost cuts this block in half, then refuses to cut it any smaller and I became the pround owner of 50 quids worth of cheese!

Why did you just not buy it?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

exactly....a complete bastard! prob same guy that 'did' me.....

is lovely area...many, many vineyards to discover and great places to eat, going back this year.

as for the Ex Pats, same the world over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here