Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Albion Wingers

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
What is up with No3 ? Didnt look interested last night. Injured ? Keep this up and I think we'd send him back in Jan. Honestly

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Give KLL time to get fit and we are going to be lethal down the flanks.Gus really has got it sussed.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I reckon the order will change every month from now until the end of the season depending on player form. People have short memories.

Personally, I still think LuaLua is the most exciting of the three.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It's terrific at the moment, but favourites are chosen due to odd, sometimes unclear criteria. Steve Penney will take some usurping as my favourite ever Albion winger, personally.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
In my time watching Albion wingers I think Noone falls about third behind Tony Towner and Paul Brooker. Although great at beating players and very excting to watch, the final delivery of Noone ad Lua Lua falls behind the standard set by Towner and Brooker (or even Paul Macdonald). Steve Penney was always vastly overated in my view (and to think we signed him instead of Mark Wright!)

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Noone is ridiculously exciting to watch...was always a fan of Paul Brooker too. Bennett oozed passion when at the club, and Buckley looks like he'll be a great signing.

Think it's very unfair to criticise LuaLua already...he hasn't been fully fit since the season started, had a stormer against Spurs in pre-season (twice) and was fantastic for us last season. Sure he'll come good once again.

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
The title of the thread is Favourite not best and in any case it is always a matter of opinion.

Steve Penney is mine.

Have to say that Nooney has teken it up a notch this season. Excellent in the last two games. Just needs to work on his finishing!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All time?

It's Steve Penney for me. I used to stand at the front of the West (South), tucked under the bars at the front and just marvel at him. Watching him close-up like that was just an absolute joy.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
I never felt Steve Penney was a real winger. A good player with excellent ball control - he was more a right sided midfileder. Our version of David Beckham (equally overated).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lua Lua and Steve Penney. Both marred by injuries. I think I like Nooney best but the real judgement comes when the opposition gets his number and how the winger adapts.

Fastest was probably David Armstrong. Will Buckley does not seem to me to be a conventional winger.

Only winger in my all time greats was Peter O' Sullivan, but he was put in as a midfielder.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perhaps a list of wingers might help.

Tony Towner
Gerry Fell
Eric Potts
Gerry Ryan
Neil Smillie
Steve Penny
Paul Wood
John Robinson
Stuart Storer
Paul Armstrong
Paul Brooker
Craig Noone
Will Buckley
Kazenga Lua Lua

These are the ones that I have seen that I can recall of the top of my head. Lua Lua excites like no other but close behind would be Noone and Penny, both excellent with the ball at their feet.

As for the poster complaining about KLL, that's the way he plays, slow, slow, quick, quick slow. No point sprinting 30/40 yards on every run when you can push forward slowly and use that acceleration over 10 yards to get the space to cross. No complaints from me. Last night, count how many times he was fouled by Sunderland in the short space of time he was on.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'll throw Clive Walker into the debate.....great when on form and a crowd favourite too.

Nooney, Brooker, Towner & Penney are all up there. Nooney has potential to be the best. KLL and Buckley could become legends too.

Mark Barham should feature but never quite showed his true potential for us.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A few years back I talked to Mel Hopkins about wingers (quite a good person to talk to as he had faced Garrincha, Stanley Matthews etc.) and he said a few things:

1) he often cut the ball out before it reached the winger
2) the winger can always (if he is good) beat the full back but a good full back could recover quickly and challenge again (best I have seen was Beattie for Ipswich)
3) sheer speed was the worst thing he had to deal with and he mentioned a winger for Sheffield United he played against that gave him the most trouble (he described Garrincha as tricky and Stanley Matthews not that special as he could usually get to the ball before it reached Matthews).

If the opposing defence has to double up on a winger this can leave a hole in the opposing defence which can be exploited my midfielders coming forward. That is if you are chasing the game. If you are winning it might be best just to keep possession. A good full back will try and entice the winger to cut inside into a crowd of defenders.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Have a guess...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

welshseagull

Jul 12, 2011
Agree with most on your list, but if were going back far enough, mid 60's, Wally Gould has to be on the list. What a player to watch!! Personally, I think LuaLua will go on to be the best Brighton winger of all time, provided he is used sparingly and can avoid getting clobbered by defenders who can't cope with him. Obviously not 100% fit at the moment though. Still its brilliant to have such an abundance of riches. Who knows what is possible this season!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here