Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite ACTOR you have seen performing live

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Saw someone playing Danny Zuko a few years ago in London, no idea what his name was, but he was brilliant. Also saw some baldy playing The King in the King and I at Saddlers Wells, he too was brilliant, he wasn't Yul Brynner, but he was more than passable.

Stumpy Tim

Saw John Malcovich at the Sydney Opera House in one of the worse plays I've ever seen. Dreadful. He was decent though. Otherwise, hard to say really. I'm seeing Jude Law in Henry V in a couple of weeks, but I think I'm going to be disappointed... Never been the best actor - I'm only going as it's my wife's birthday

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Conrad Nelson in Richard III (very charismatic, very scary)

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
"I saw John Malkovitch (with hair) in London in around 1984. Can't remember what TF it was, but it was good."

Possibly , Burn This , set in a New York loft apartment ? I saw that in the '80s , on the south bank . I recall Malkovitch had long hair ( wig ) , and was excellent.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Mark Rylance - Jerusalem. Fabulous play and tour de force by MR
Adrian Lester - Henry V with modern uniforms, suits, Jeeps and TV crews at The National just after 2nd Gulf War. That should have been compulsory for anyone pro-war. Brilliant.
Alan Alda - Glengarry Glenross. It was a bit like watching Michael Palin trying to be nasty. Great disappointment.
James Earl Jones - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Should have stuck to Darth Vader voice overs.
... and many more.

Simply no better night out than the theatre when it's good. And not many worse when it's bad.

Bit like footy really.

This follows on from a conversation with Superphil about his disdain and dismissal of live theatre - and how I believe he's missing out on a fine art form.

So while I asked for one, I am now going to say five.

I saw a performance of 'Waiting For Godot' at the Theatre Royal in Brighton a couple of years back with Sir Ian McKellen, Sir Patrick Stewart, Simon Callow and Ronald Pickup. What a line-up.

I also saw a musical (not normally a big fan of those at all) at the National Theatre with David Suchet. It was a big song-and-dance spectacular, with Suchet in the middle. He has such a presence, you just couldn't take you eyes off him.

What about you?
:rolleyes:

Ade Edmondson bottom chronicles live show:thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not actually live but one of the National Theatre performances going out to certain Cinemas live a couple of months back was Othello with Adrian Lester and Rory Kinnear - play relocated to a modern day 'Camp Bastion' scenario with characters wearing contemporary Army Uniforms.

Superb performances from both - as an aside I'll bet that Iago got slotted before his trial.....

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Jeremy Brett, the definitive Sherlock IMO, Theatre Royal early 90's

lifer

May 6, 2013
Dustin Hoffman (as Shylock)...Maggie Smith (Lettice & Loveage)...Donald Sinden (Polonius in Hamlet)...Ian Richardson (Moliere - The Miser)...Tom Conti (Jeffery Bernard)...Leo McKern (Hobsons Choice)...all fabulous

But three for the price of one - McKellen, Stewart and Callow in Godot! Wow!

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Sir Ian McKellen in The Syndicate at the Minerva Theatre at Chichester. I was in the second row and there is no stage, so the great Man was but a few feet away doing his work.

In the main theatre at Chichester, Simon Callow doing Dickens short stories and Greta Scacchi in Easy Virtue, also Richard "Uncle Monty" Griffiths in The Man Who Came to Dinner, although that wasn't his strongest performance I should admit, and most recently in the temporary "theatre in the park" Adrian Edmondson in Neville's Island

Nigel Hawthorne and Ian Holm in The Madness of George III at the National Theatre
And going back to late childhood, Michael Crawford in Barnum at the London Palladium

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here