Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fati another year, yes or no?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I don't hold any malice towards him, but do feel he was bitterly disappointing considering the wages we were paying him. As I understand it, we broke our mould in signing him, and all to keep RDZ happy, for what that was worth. It's not surprising that people are relieved we've not picked him up again. That's not really the same thing as what you're accusing them of.

As for the player himself, he was never "fantastic" as far as I can remember. He scored a couple of smartly taken goals against Ajax, and a tap in when we were thrashed at Villa. His movement began to look promising when he then got injured. I'm not sure he contributed an awful lot more, tbh. Certainly nothing commensurate with the enormous salary we ended up paying. I'm glad he's Barca's problem now, and not ours. I bet no other club pays his wages for a season on loan.
This on all accounts. At no point was he remotely fantastic. It's almost like his reputation and potential garnered an ' emperor's new clothes ' syndrome in some of our fans. Well this 'boy' is calling him out as bang average.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was cock-a-hoop last year when we signed him, but he turned out to be a big letdown IMO.

Good in flashes as others have mentioned, but I don't think he ever really adapted to the pace and power of the PL. And I never got the impression he was really busting a gut for us (which is a common affliction of a player on loan).

I'd have been astonished if we'd kept him on. Having seen the new signings play this morning - nah, we don't need Fati again. Glad he's gone.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I was cock-a-hoop last year when we signed him, but he turned out to be a big letdown IMO.

Good in flashes as others have mentioned, but I don't think he ever really adapted to the pace and power of the PL. And I never got the impression he was really busting a gut for us (which is a common affliction of a player on loan).

I'd have been astonished if we'd kept him on. Having seen the new signings play this morning - nah, we don't need Fati again. Glad he's gone.
Hypothetical situation - Fati gets fit, leaves Barca by mutual consent, and makes moves to come to Brighton on very reasonable wages on, say, a two year deal. Would you take him? Genuine question.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hypothetical situation - Fati gets fit, leaves Barca by mutual consent, and makes moves to come to Brighton on very reasonable wages on, say, a two year deal. Would you take him? Genuine question.
I would, but that would never happen.

He's young, proven and thus would be worth a punt at reasonable wages. But that isn't the situation as it stands. Instead, we've paid huge wages to help get a Barca player up to full fitness (although he is broken again).

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I would, but that would never happen.

He's young, proven and thus would be worth a punt at reasonable wages. But that isn't the situation as it stands. Instead, we've paid huge wages to help get a Barca player up to full fitness (although he is broken again).
We could, hypothetically, have just taken hundreds of thousands of pounds up to a Scottish island and burnt it all, and would have pretty much achieved the same.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No.

He just didn't show enough last season to make me think he'd be any better this year. And ok, its early days, but it looks like we have recruited some real pace and power in forward areas. Minteh and Osman look ridiculous, Mitoma is back, we know Adingra can tear it up, Cozier-Duberry looks a real prospect, Sarmiento has returned with some proper games and experience under his belt, and Solly will (hopefully) be back in the picture in the autumn.

Given all that, why would we need Fati ?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Before our transfer business, yes, if fit and motivated to return. Now, definitely not even if he was trying to force a move.

We now have Osman, Cozier-Duberry and Minteh (plus Sarmiento back), in addition to Buonanotte, March, Adingra and Mitoma.

Sums up how promising our transfer business has been.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Other than the early weeks, imho he appeared scared of getting injured when playing, looking to avoid challenges where he might get hurt. We’ve seen this before, Ryan Harley the most notable example?

To me it seemed like he was protecting himself for a return to his beloved Barca.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No.

He just didn't show enough last season to make me think he'd be any better this year. And ok, its early days, but it looks like we have recruited some real pace and power in forward areas. Minteh and Osman look ridiculous, Mitoma is back, we know Adingra can tear it up, Cozier-Duberry looks a real prospect, Sarmiento has returned with some proper games and experience under his belt, and Solly will (hopefully) be back in the picture in the autumn.

Given all that, why would we need Fati ?
Composure in front of goal is something Fati offers that I doubt any of our current young players can match - even Evan Ferguson.

That said, although I said yes to the question, I'm not actually sure who I'd expect to make way for him given that we've already got a bloated squad that needs trimming.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Composure in front of goal is something Fati offers that I doubt any of our current young players can match - even Evan Ferguson.

That said, although I said yes to the question, I'm not actually sure who I'd expect to make way for him given that we've already got a bloated squad that needs trimming.
He scored, what, 4 goals in his time with us ? Yes he was in and out of the side and injured for long spells, but I don't regard him as ever being particularly clinical. The goal at Ajax stands out, but I don't think we'd miss what you call his composure in front of goal. His stats don't really back that up.

Pliny the Gull

Mar 4, 2024
He scored, what, 4 goals in his time with us ? Yes he was in and out of the side and injured for long spells, but I don't regard him as ever being particularly clinical. The goal at Ajax stands out, but I don't think we'd miss what you call his composure in front of goal. His stats don't really back that up.
Neither did Undacs

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Not for me. Way too injury prone. Yet again injured and the seasons not yet started. That's apart from the fact he didn't show enough when he was here for a season.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Wow there are some bitter and twisted sods on here.

i thought when he was fit he played some fantastic football for us. It wasn’t his fault he got injured and if it was , then perhaps we should apply the same bile at solly march.
players get injured, it happens.

Wow. Just wow.

You are comparing Ansu Fati's contribution in a BHAFC shirt to that of Solly March?

Really?

Got to be one of the most deluded posts I've ever read on NSC. And that's saying something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here